New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

There are certain instances in life where the music you are listening to fits what is going on in your life at that moment. For most of us, it's with romance - good and bad. The song you dance to with your wife or girlfriend. The song that was playing when the girl you had a crush on dumped you for another guy. We've all been there.
    This past Tuesday, my wife and I drove a few hours northeast to be present at the birth of our first grandchild. I stuck Western Stars in on low volume while my wife dozed in the front seat. The blue sky with its cotton like white clouds lay ahead as we drove to a new event, a new birth, a new beginning as our only child lay waiting to give birth to her first child.
    The combination of Bruce's vocals, the lyrics and the orchestration was a stirring backdrop to what lay ahead.
    So at 6:53 pm, July 16th, as our family welcomed another beautiful little girl into this often confused and frightening world, I know that another world exists - the world that Bruce speaks of in many of these songs. This is why music remains such a powerful part of our lives.

2. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic

I wasn't enamored at first, but I really love this album more on every listen. It's mature and moving.

3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It’s just glorious. At first you don’t realise we’ve moved into a different song. So clever.

4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Bought the latest issue of the Brit mag, UNCUT....the cover story - `the making
    of `Western Stars''. Haven't delved into it yet.

Psychedelic Good Trip and DavidD like this.
  5. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Please report back. I’m looking for a copy myself.

DavidD and FingerPickin'Triumph like this.
  6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

What a wonderful post!

7. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

After living with WESTERN STARS for a month. It's a killer record. So here is my grade

A+ songs - Sundown, Tucson Train, Stones, Moonlight Motel
    B+ songs - Western Stars, Drive Fast, Chasin Wild Horses, Hello Sunshine, Nashville
    C+ songs - Hitch Hiking, The Wayfarer, Sleepy Joes
    D+ songs - There goes my miracle.

Glenn coates, Willowman and DavidD like this.
  8. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

“The book of love holds its rules. Disobeyed by fools. Disobeyed by fools.”

And there you have Western Stars in a nutshell. Wise words, indeed.

And the sentence is: ”Look at what you’ve done?” The hardest rhetorical question of all.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    dee, RSteven, Adam9 and 4 others like this.
  9. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I’m walkin’ away...

RSteven and DavidD like this.
  10. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

I'll play.

A+ songs - Western Stars, Moonlight Motel, Hello Sunshine, Stones, Tuscon Train

B+ songs - Drive Fast, Chasin Wild Horses, Somewhere North of Nashville, Hitch Hikin', The Wayfarer

C+ songs - Sleepy Joe's Cafe, Sundown, There goes my miracle

D+ songs - None

Wildgift, RSteven, The MEZ and 6 others like this.
  11. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

dee, Adam9, Girlpower and 1 other person like this.
  12. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Yeah, he's turned what's left of The Grateful Dead into "Uncle John Mayer's Band"
    (ripping guitar player or not, I still think he stinks)

johnny q and Dr. Zoom like this.
  13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Yesterday we played this whole album nice and loud to a group of people who had never heard it before while we volunteered at our local food bank.
    The adults there really enjoyed it. One man kept smiling and saying how different he thought it was for Springsteen and yet he really liked it.
    One woman just stood in awe and listened to "There Goes My Miracle" as it played. She said she just loved it.

Bottom line = everyone really liked it a lot.

Imagine if commercial radio brought this album to a public who don't know it's out there? Chances are, they'd like it too!

14. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

It's a multi-platinum album released decades too late. It would have been massive in the seventies.

Sandinista and ego1jr like this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Haha. You couldn’t pay me to go see Dead & Co. anyway. That band ended when the 9 fingered guy died.

johnny q likes this.
  16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

In my retirement, I do a little weekly oldies show on a local low power FM station. Although the program focuses on 60s, 70s and some 80s music, since Western Stars was released, I have been including a couple of tracks from it in my playlist each week. With no other airplay, I view it to be my civic duty to spread the word!

17. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

From Backstreets.com:

[​IMG]

ZIMNY AND SPRINGSTEEN TO RETURN TO TIFF
    Western Stars film will premiere at Toronto festival

In 2010, Thom Zimny's Darkness documentary (The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town) had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. Nine years later, Zimny will return with his latest film: Western Stars, co-directed with Bruce Springsteen. The film was announced today as one of the festival's Gala Presentations, to have its world premiere at TIFF in September.

The performance documentary runs 83 minutes; as described on the festival website: "The incomparable Bruce Springsteen performs his critically acclaimed latest album and muses on life, rock, and the American dream, in this intimate and personal concert film co-directed by Thom Zimny and Springsteen himself."

The 44th Toronto International Film Festival runs September 5–15, 2019, with the full schedule coming on August 20. Visit tiff.net for further information and tickets.
    - July 23, 2019

matt79rome89, Rockford & Roll and Dok like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

me either, BUT..... I will rate Weirs' Blue Mountain release from a couple years back much higher then Western Stars... there, I said it

19. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Is that a sprayed on tan or did the Boss get that under the Western Sun? ;)

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He sure looks orange to me

21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Love to see this album performed live, but not on film in person.
    Come out to LA and play the Wiltern again.

Wildgift, RSteven and DavidD like this.
  22. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I gotta find out who does this man’s toup. I’m not kidding. They do a great job. He looks good even when orange.

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The glue from his hair ran.

FingerPickin'Triumph likes this.
  24. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

you all are too funny....

DavidD likes this.
  25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’ve spun this album about 5 times so far, in the house, in the care, on a car trip. My partner, not a Bruce fan per se, loves the opening track Hitchhiker. I really like the album a lot, a fan since 1974. Reminds me a bit of Tunnel of Love, a more mature work, universal themes. Lovely orchestration.

alan967tiger, dee, RSteven and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.