Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Rumblings of a third from creator Rob Liefeld but nothing confirmed and no dates, at least two years away would be my guess.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

thanks for the update..

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I have read some of the comic books as a young lad and haven't read any since. When Guardians of the Galaxy, Antman, Black Panther and Captain Marvel were announced I didn't think the movies would be for me and that they would not be successful based on my not knowing anything about the characters. Mr. Feige and his posse have proved me wrong and I now known better thank to waste my time figuring out what will be goid or not. They know their stuff and will continue offering well crafted entertainment until the public has had enough.

I did not bother with the Marvel TV series but these newly announced ones might get me watching.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As far as who will be in the Avengers line-up in the future, in the books, it seems like EVERYBODY'S an Avenger! Much like the Justice League, these teams are more like collective 'armies'! That said, the Avengers, MINUS Thor, Iron Man, & Cap, always felt incomplete in the books (I think Marvel agreed, no matter how many changes were made to the line-up, they'd always bring back the OG's!). I'll be curious to see how this is dealt with in the MCU. In the books, time isn't a factor, the creators can do what they want, whenever they want. The movies are a different ballgame!

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Good luck getting Chris H and Natalie P to go along with that!

At least you have the good sense to avoid saying what you mean. Jazz is my favorite music genre, I listen to predominantly African American artists, and I can guarantee my neighborhood is just as mixed (if not moreso) than Oatsdad's (though what that has to do with the discussion I have no idea), so consider this next time you want to go to for the lowest possible insult as an explanation. Sign of the times.

Maybe I came in with expectations too high, but I was not very impressed with Black Panther relative to other MCU films and I was not alone. It's just not as great as other MCU films for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with race and everything to do with structuring the narrative, pacing, etc. One thing I greatly enjoy in a lot of these films is humor and relative to many, BP was lacking.

showtaper likes this.
  6. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm excited about this too. But I believe it's going to be animated. Still fine with me and makes sense to keep the costs way down.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So far the brief is that What If will be animated and feature returning talent from the films, so it would be a possibility. I'm good with the movie version though.

You don't know how pleased I am to be wrong. :)

8. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Whatever their reasoning I am still not a big Portman fan. But it is what it is I guess. Don't get the female Thor thing- I mean nobody can be another Thor. Thor is his name not a type of being. Will she have her own name? I am mostly curious to see how they deal with the X-men and fantastic four now that they own the rights.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think they've decided Hemsworth is more entertaining as Thor when he's on the defensive or hampered in some way, rather than all-powerful. So in Ragnarok he was hammerless and shorn of his locks and held prisoner, in Endgame he was fat and depressed, and in this film he will presumably lose his powers when they get transferred to Jane somehow....?

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think in the Jane-Thor comic book she becomes imbued with the power of Thor and he becomes a shabby loser aimlessly wandering the earth. Maybe he'll get a job at Scoops Ahoy.

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

She isn’t the first person to take Thor’s power in the books. But that said, I can’t imagine this story arc to take more than one movie. I’m sure by the end of the film the original Thor will redeem himself. It’s probably a way to have both characters go off into the sunset for their happy ever after. Chris Hemsworth is getting a little long in the tooth to be playing a near immortal demigod, and Portman is even older than he is. Although they are getting really good at CGI-ing people to look younger nowadays...

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hemwsorth is only 36 y.o.

IMHO, if the producers want him, he can portray Thor for 10 more years. Portman is 38 but looks about 10 years younger.

Paper Wizard and SRC like this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’m 45, so I know that is going to change fast.

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Well, serious training can do wonders. Schwarzenegger was 43 when he made Terminator 2

[​IMG]

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I wonder what avenger carrot top would play..?

16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Medusa.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sure, they have before. Sony & Disney/Marvel are part of the promotion for co-productions.

Well, all of the Guardians of the Galaxy were in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, so they've done it before in film. And I think there have been crossover events in the comics.

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disney didn't co-produce the Spidey movies. Those were all Sony.

The biggest announcement ceremony yesterday was to promote Disney-backed MCU films. Spidey isn't theirs so they're not gonna tout it there!

Dude, everybody was in those 2 films, but that doesn't make them "real Avengers".

And a crossover isn't the same as being members of the team.

If there's another Avengers - and I think that's a surprisingly big "if" - I don't think there's any way GotG are part of it if they go back to the original model of a fairly small team with like 6 members...

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are mistaken. When the head credits say "In Association with Marvel," Marvel has a hand in approving scripts and casting. I would agree that the paychecks for the actors, directors, and writers come out of Sony. Bear in mind that Amy Pascal is steering that whole ship, since she was able to negotiate her exit deal with Sony that basically said, "since I greenlit the original Spiderman back in 1999, I get to be executive producer of the new films forever (or as long as she wants to)." As far as I know, all the story meetings and so on are done at Marvel, and they carefully plot out how the events of the MCU affect what happens in Spiderman, as we saw in recent films.

What Pascal was able to work out with Marvel was, Sony puts up all the money for the Spiderman films. The moment that the theatrical release hits a breakeven point, then all revenues go into a 50/50 split, but I think that's after gross participation points and all that stuff. I don't know how they handle merchandising, but Sony gets all the home video revenue. I would not be surprised if streaming rights will go to Disney+, even if it's on a non-exclusive basis. Sony Pictures does own the copyright... at the moment. What is unclear is what will happen if and when the film division is ever sold, and I would not be surprised if Disney swoops in to get all or some of their properties.

I think like everything in Hollywood, it's subject to negotiation. I guarantee you, every release date is very carefully coordinated: there's no way they want a big Spiderman movie opening up a month after a big Disney/Marvel film. Avengers: Endgame opened April 26th, and Spiderman: Far from Home opened on July 2, and I'm guessing that solid 60-day window was something Marvel insisted upon. My guess is they have one of those massive conference room meetings with all the Disney/Marvel execs on one side, and all the Sony execs on the other, with Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal at the head of the table. They do keep all the details of this stuff close to the vest, for understandable reasons.

Interestingly, Marvel does leave the post-production details on Spiderman to Sony, and they use different people than who Marvel normally employ (Steve Scott at EFilm & Maxine Gervais at Technicolor). Spiderman was color-timed by Jill Bogdanowicz and Siggy Ferstl over at CO3/Santa Monica, which is a lot closer to Sony Pictures HQ. A lot of post decisions these days are done remotely, so in truth you can be anywhere in the world and still supervise editing, color, sound, and VFX sessions over Skype and other closed-circuit services.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    PH416156 likes this.
  21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I literally have no interest in Phase 4 past the new Doctor Strange and (As)Guardians of the Galaxy movies... and neither of them are 'new' characters, so to speak.

The trouble is, as I see it, is that Phases 1-3 were a singular, interconnected tapestry, held together and grounded in a narrative axis now referred to as the so-called 'Infinity Saga' with the titular stones themselves threaded throughout that tapestry ... they (films and television) were pieces of a larger whole with a narrative momentum that was building up and leading to an inevitable and dramatic climactic crescendo... namely, Thanos and the Infinity War/Endgame duology.

What's the larger narrative axis going forward? Obviously they won't show all their cards at this stage until they're ready, but still, I just don't see anything that could compete with what's come before... and who's going to be a suitably commanding presence in the MCU on an equal footing with Tony Stark or Steve Rogers? Even Thor probably has but a couple films left in him (one solo and one possible Guardians), after Chris Hemsworth is gone, the original 'three amigos' of the MCU will be out of the picture permanently... who else can become the driving heart of that saga once that happens?

After watching Endgame (five times at the cinema!), I felt that was the point I should get off the MCU train... now I'm convinced of that (save for the occasional return), it really did feel like a natural end (game?) to me, and that everything afterwards will just have that 'further adventures of...' feel to it... kind of like the Extended Universe of Star Wars; the story's over but it keeps going anyhow.

And at the risk of getting deleted again, I'll say this; from what I hear about how Feige and co are going to be pushing hard the whole 'diversity and representation' agenda going forward, I think Endgame will not just be my exit from the MCU, but it'll end up being quite a few other people's exit too... if Marvel want to push political agendas, they'll do it without my dime and time... there, 'nuff said.

The 22-film 'Infinity Saga' was a remarkable and game-changing accomplishment in cinematic storytelling... I just think people will look back years from now and view it as the MCU's 'golden age' once they start having flops and lesser films... even the once-untouchable Pixar is having bumps in the road now, it happens to everyone, and Marvel will be no exception, mark my words.

Nothing lasts forever but it was great while it lasted...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Phase 4.
    Not enthralled with what's lined up in the future, and for some films don't know why such a long delay in scheduling. I'll no doubt go and see a few films though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Phase IV, Saul Bass ? :)

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Whatever.

There’s nothing to stop Marvel from starting another 10 year story arc, culminating in an attack by Celestials or Galactus or whatever. And even if they don’t then I don’t see why people can’t just enjoy the movies on their individual merits. If people choose not to watch because of a so-called “agenda”, that’s a choice that a lot of others won’t be making. We have had over a hundred years of filmmaking from a white male perspective and it has gotten boring. The fact is that most people on planet Earth are not white males. Either accept that times change or live in the dust bin of history.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I don't think the MCU has been made to a "white male perspective" to date, so I think that says more for YOU and your overly-politicised outlook on life and culture than it does for them... whatever indeed.

Yeah, Marvel can certainly start another ten-year arc... but they simply don't have the grounded anchor characters anymore they had with Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, etc.

Without them, it's just fireworks... and firework displays don't last.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong... but at that point, I'll likely not be watching... so again, whatever indeed.