Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've heard people claim that superhero fatigue is nigh - again, wishful thinking by people who dislike the genre - but I don't recall claims that superhero fatigue was actually here...

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If we date the modern resurgence back to 2000's "X-Men", we're going on 20 years of successful superhero movies, and the genre's more popular than ever.

What if the genre never does fade like so many predict? Given the fact we're approaching 2 decades of hits, it's becoming more possible that this resurgence is permanent!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Have you seen the Blu-ray?

The original was released on VHS back in 1998. I don't know what format it was shot in but I would think that coming from 1998, not that long ago, that the original would be on high enough definition to warrant a Blu-ray release.

I have only see the original VHS and I have the DVD version.

I don't know what the movie version cost to produce. My guess is a lot with all of the known talent and the realistic CGI.

I doubt if they are spending this kind of money just to have it available in higher definition.

Since most people likely saw it originally on VHS tape, they would be perfectly satisfied with the DVD version.

The majority of people do not have uber high end home theaters with super excellent sound.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For me, the superhero trend is curious. With one or two exceptions, I don’t go to the theatre to watch them. And I don’t buy them on dvd, except for a couple of the Batman movies (Dark Knight series). But when I go to my father in law’s house, he usually will show one in his decent home theatre and I have enjoyed all the the one’s I’ve seen. And, I did go to see Wonder Woman and enjoyed it. In fact, that one I did recently seek out on DVD to rewatch it. But for some odd reason, I have zero interest going to the theatre to see them. Don’t know if anyone else feels the same (obviously not many).

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I film youth theatre in our area as a fun side business. I filmed Cats and I agree. Hated it, and didn’t get what was going on at all! Many parents said the same. It was beautifully done, and looked great. I have no doubt the film will look beautiful. But I just don’t know if it’s going to resonate with the film going audience. This could easily get a first week curiosity bump and then disappear.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I haven’t seen it but the reviews all state that it is barely better than the DVD. Certainly not acceptable quality to show on a modern streaming platform. If it was shot in HD no one has come forward with a better release. The new movie would solve this problem.

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Certainly a Blu-ray should be an improvement. But modern TV's like my 65" 4k have built in 4k upscaling. I don't have any issues with the upscaled quality of the DVD.

I have DVD's of modern state of the art movies like Tomorrowland and Valerian and the upscaled quality is excellent.

My audio portion of the home theater is excellent across the spectrum.

I would rate my gear in the top 5% of American households. Most people don't have either the gear no the interest to notice the difference in quality, either audio or visual quality.

What ever reason they are making the movie adaption of the play, it is not so that there can be a 4k version for everyone.

They don't make or remake movies so that there can be a digital 4k version of the original.

8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

O - M - F - G.

AND it's got James Corden in it.

Double O - M - F - G.

sunspot42, mrjinks and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Who are they? They're not listed in the credits at all (at least on IMDB). The PGA carefully controls who gets a producer (associate, co-producer, producer, executive producer, or creative consultant) credit on a film. I think only the top 5 get a "PGA" affiliation after their name, and those who are the ones who would get to step up and accept an industry award, like an Oscar.

You can make a good argument that this might be the peak. If we look back from the distance of 20 or 30 years, we'll know for sure if this was the beginning of the end, or a trend that hasn't fallen apart yet. But I don't get the sense of excitement in the new Marvel line-up that I saw for the movies made in the last 10 years.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Powell and Yellen are the current and previous, respectively, chairs of the Federal Reserve System. They are the folks responsible for the qualifier "in today's dollars" used to adjust for inflation. To which I ask, Why should today's dollar (the one I want to spend) be worth less than yesterday's dollar (the one I worked for)?

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Be careful. I think The Sound Of Music was one of the highest grossing films of all time too, circa 1967. It looked like musicals could do no wrong. Hollywood dumped millions on the things. And then they suffered bomb after bomb after bomb toward the end of the decade - Star!, Hello, Dolly!, Oh! What A Lovely War and lots of other exclamation pointed titles.

The new decade didn't prove any better for the musical. Apart from flicks targeted at children, like Willy Wonka and The Aristocats, big budgeted, big hype musicals like On A Clear Day You Can See Forever struggled and flopped at the box office. By the end of the decade, even the musicals targeted at kids - like Pete's Dragon - were disappointing studio execs.

I guess what I'm saying is, we've already seen some weakness in the superhero genre, particularly in the X Men franchise. Presumably the Avengers-related stuff is steaming along quite nicely right now. But these things aren't invincible. All it would take is a couple of bombs in the biggest franchises for the whole thing to start spiraling downward.

Deesky likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the more they make them the more I will watch them...I find them relaxing...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Michael

yea, sunshine is expensive! $35.00?! yea right... I wait for the BD at a third of the price...

14. Michael

15. Vidiot

This has nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah can happen easily when a movie/franchise becomes 'too big to fail'.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Michael

yes...my wife and I have no desire as well to go to the theater...we buy BD for home viewings of the movies we want to see...we have many DVDs & BD movies...only purchase DVD if the movie is not available on BD...

Jrr likes this.
  18. Michael

Indeed...: )

19. Vidiot

The stuff I see in Marvel's "MCU Phase 4" borders on that. Could it still fail? I dunno. A lot of it, I don't feel the desperate need to see it like I did with Spiderman, Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians, Captain America, and so on.

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

He did, The Whole Bloody Affair, with color House of Blue Leaves and an extended O-Ren origin story. I don't understand why it's just sitting on a shelf somewhere (or a file slowly getting corrupted on a hard drive).

21. NickCarraway

Don't forget Oliver!, poster child (no pun intended) for Wrong Best Picture.

Counterpoint: Cabaret

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. NickCarraway

It does if someone argues that any film other than "Gone With The Wind" is the all-time domestic box office champion.

sunspot42 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It did OK at the box office, though.

Cabaret was pretty much nothing like the big budget Hollywood musicals a la The Sound Of Music or Dolly. Its success just highlighted how the old formula had failed.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Did anybody really feel a desperate need to see Guardians of the Galaxy when it was announced but before the teaser trailer, though? :)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Amazing review on Tarantino’s new film in Rolling Stone. I’m totally in. Kind of sad that the rumors of his retiring from directing after his next film seem to be true. What a unique director/film maker, regardless of whether one likes his style or not. I hope the film does well for him.

pblmow and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.