Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, if you go back and read my original thread six months before Guardians came out, I said, "ya know, I didn't want to see this thing until I saw the trailer. Everybody loves the raccoon!" And he really is one of the most important characters in the film. A pal of mine who worked on Vol. 2 said that minute-for-minute, the raccoon actually got more screen time than any other character.

Yes, I agree completely. Tarantino did say that after his longtime editor Sally Menke died almost 10 years ago, it really depressed him to the point where making films without her seemed impossible. She was a huge part of his crew. I worked with her once, and thought she was very difficult, combative, and opinionated, but I have to say she only wanted the film to be great, so I respect that. And her credits speak for themselves: she was a superb editor, and a perfect match for Quentin.

Apparently, the extended Kill Bill has been shown a couple of times at festivals, but my puzzlement is that he never released it on home video, which he had vowed to do many years ago.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Simon A likes this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I love Rocket! But Guardians is full of great characters in addition to Rocket and I’ve loved both films. I’ll definitely see another Guardians film.

I am also very much looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The trailer looks great. I generally have a favorable opinion of Tarantino, but am not a devotee.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Saw Lion King tonight. I’m sure like many here , I’m a huge fan of the original. What I thought was there was zero emotion in the animals, as if the words didn’t go with the faces. I literally found myself getting bored in places. And I also felt the character voices and songs were pretty drab as well. And then it occurred to me that yes, if we are now going for realism, there wouldn’t be much room for the actors to get very emotional, and songs that sound big would contrast too much with the rest of the film. Well, okay. So, I guess that leads to this: why remake it at all? Yes yes, I know the word money leaps to mind. And it’s certainly doing that quite well. But all that aside, I wish they would just perhaps add a couple new and awesome scenes to the original films and simply re release them. I would certainly go. I see no point to this and I predict going forward they are going to see diminishing returns.

My 18 year old daughter said she is the only one of her friends that liked it, and my older daughter, a huge fan of anything with a Disney logo (we practically raised her at Disneyland before the days when they sold annual passes to the entire state of California and will let so many people in you can’t even do anything now) and she didn’t enjoy the film either. I think this is now a cash grab, but I guess that’s fine if people are going. But those classic films had emotion and soul, a Disney hallmark. I think they are selling themselves out for quick money with these. To me, this new Lion King represents everything that is wrong with corporate America. Now Jungle Book, that remake I felt was well done. Perhaps the CGI for animals is now too good? I sure would love to see a movie on the caliber of Jaws done this way, however. But perhaps cartoons need to stay cartoons. I won’t be seeing any more.

4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Has there been any quality dramas yet this year ??
    Not interested in the remakes, animated and repeated superhero movies . Guess I'll have to see what's out in the fall.

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Mustang springs to mind, as does Everybody Knows (if you don’t mind subtitles).

6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Thanks , I caught Everbody Knows thru Dvdnetflix . I was going to theater but reviews were mixed, I liked it .

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

List of major movies released/upcoming in 2019.

ALL 2019 MOVIES (In release order) - IMDb

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that , imo very bleak. :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe family members of cast and crew! ;)

"GotG" was the first real indication that the MCU could do no wrong, IMO. It looked like a throwaway at the time: obscure characters, less than promising August release date.

But then it got great reviews and was a huge hit.

Eventually an MCU movie has to fail - at least in relative terms. But damn, that's not happened yet!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yeah. If a studio thinks they have a quality drama on their hands, they will usually sit on it until Oscar season is approaching. Your best bet is either attending one of the festivals where they show them early or just catching up on any of the ones you missed from late 2018. :)

...that being said, 'Fighting with My Family" is a pretty decent movie not in the remake/animated/superhero mold that came out in February and is on video now.

11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Fighting for My Family.

Original idea based on a true story and the actress even looks like the real person.

Matthew Tate and Steve Carras like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well Indeed! whadda ya expect? It's Bradley Cooper! LOL...it is a great character though...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Vidiot likes this.
  13. Michael

14. Michael

there is some good ones in that list, but i have to agree more bad than good!

15. Vidiot

Those tend to be landing on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, FX, and the other streaming services rather than theaters. I'd pick Fosse/Verdon as the best drama I've seen this year, and it very much has a "feature-level" quality to it. Better Call Saul is right up there as well.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Just announced. Regal Cinemas, based in Knoxville TN is launching an unlimited annual movie experience next week. Monthly rates will be from $18/mo. to $23.50, depending on where you live.

"With an annual Regal Unlimited™ subscription, you can watch as many movies as you want, as many times as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. Plus, get advance tickets as soon as they go on sale, enjoy 10% off all food and non-alcoholic beverages in theatre, and all the Regal Crown Club perks."

The site says that you can pay for the entire year or pay month by month, but you must commit for a minimum of an entire year.

"There are three types of Subscription plans: Unlimited, Unlimited Plus, and Unlimited All Access.
    1. Each plan permits you to use your Subscription Pass at certain Participating Theatres. Please visit www.regmovies.com/unlimited/theatre-list to see the Participating Theatres that are included in each Subscription plan and find the plan that is right for you."
    "Convenience Fees apply to all Reservations."

More details do not seem to be available at this time on the website, regarding the different plans.

17. Oatsdad

What details do you want that you can't find?

The website seems to cover pretty much everything! :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

My thoughts about the Regal plan:

If it existed in isolation, I'd be all over it. However, since AMC's A-List already exists, I'm not interested.

The only advantage the Regal plan offers is that it's unlimited. However, 3 movies/week is essentially "unlimited" for me - it's rare that I'd want to see more than that, and I usually don't see the allotted 3 anyway, so "unlimited" is basically meaningless.

If I signed up for the Regal plan, I'd pay $2 more/month than I currently pay for AMC and I'd have to pay a surcharge if I wanted to go to 3D or "deluxe" screenings, which I don't with AMC.

Oh, and they charge you 50 cents to reserve via the app at Regal. 10 movies/month makes your $24 membership a $29 membership.

Again, if A-List didn't exist, I'd do it, but since I already have a superior (IMO) plan, there's no reason to change...

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Here's a fascinating article about how Hollywood's movie budgets have skyrocketed over the years. This has even affected Netflix: they're so concerned, they're going to now cut wayback on how much they're spending. I agree with the article: $200 million for what is basically a made-for-TV movie is a bit much.

How has the cost of making a movie changed over the past twenty years?

[​IMG]

Great quote: "This comes on the heels of Netflix’s Triple Frontier (a movie which reportedly cost $115 million but which has gone down poorly with audiences and critics alike) and their up-coming blockbuster Red Notice (which is likely to cost upwards of $200 million, including unusually large pay-cheques for its stars, The Rock, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds)."

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Regal doesn’t have any theaters in my area, so I would have no reason to sign up for this, but I agree with @Oatsdad that the AMC A-list program seems like a better deal. The thing about these unlimited movie plans is that the theater would have to offer enough films I want to see to make it worthwhile for me. AMC (in my area at least) isn’t doing that, and looking at their website, Regal seems to have a similar slate of films on offer.

I am, however, happy that you guys convinced me to sign up for AMC Premiere. The free online ticketing is going to make that plan more than pay for itself. As much as I hate the practice of reserving a seat in advance, there seems to be no way around it now for many films shown at AMC if I want to see them opening weekend.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

What are the sub's thoughts on where Star Wars IX will end up? Stud or Dud?

Matthew Tate and kevywevy like this.
  22. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I'm anxious for the Regal plan to actually become available, which I assume will be next week. I have no AMC theaters close by, but several Regals. I have never reserved tickets since I tend to go in the afternoon, so I should be able to avoid the 50 cent

I can see how the AMC plan would be better for a lot of people.

23. Oatsdad

Yeah, like I said, if A-List didn't exist, or if I lived in a Regal territory without AMCs, I'd pounce.

But A-List has been an excellent, seamless experience for a year-plus, and I have as many AMCs as Regals, so I'm AMC all the way! :)

24. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I hope that Good Boys movie bombs, but it probably won't. I was subjected to the awful trailer for this film twice in the past month. I don't have kids, but if I did then I wouldn't allow them to watch this trash. Tweens shouldn't be talking like that unless they were raised in a trailer park. I thought it was illegal to expose actors under 18 to material like that. Have the child exploitation laws changed?

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disney crushing it at the Box Office with Lion King already approaching $1B after 2 weekends.

Box Office: Disney Hits Record $7.67B in 2019 Global Revenue as 'Lion King' Nears $1B

Box Office: Disney Hits Record $7.67B in 2019 Global Revenue as 'Lion King' Nears $1B

On Sunday, Hollywood's alpha studio announced its films have collected a record-shattering $7.67 billion at the 2019 global box office — and it's not even August.

The previous industry record of $7.61 billion was set by Disney in 2016.

The $7.67 billion includes $5.09 billion amassed overseas. It's the first time any Hollywood studio has surpassed the $5 billion threshold internationally.

Already this year, three Disney titles have crossed $1 billion worldwide, not to mention that Marvel Studios' Avengers: Endgame ($2.79 billion) has passed up Avatar to become the top-grossing film of all time. Fellow Marvel pic Captain Marvel finished its run with $1.23 billion.

Disney's live-action Aladdin rode its magic carpet past $1 billion last week, while The Lion King is on the verge of achieving the milestone after finishing Sunday with a worldwide total of $962.7 million after just two weeks in release.

And don't forget Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 4, which is likely to cross $1 billion in the coming weeks. If so, Disney will set a new record for the number of $1 billion-plus films released in a given year (it set a record in 2016 with four).

Disney accounts for as much as 45 percent of the $16 billion-plus collected worldwide so far this year by movies released on more than 1,000 screens, including revenue from titles inherited following the Disney-Fox merger. In stark contrast, the next closest studio, Warner Bros., has taken in just shy of $2 billion.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.