Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I hesitate to get into this scuffle as it can only end badly, but IMHO turning Jane Foster into Thor or changing Sam Wilson into Captain America feels "forced." Sam Wilson is already an awesome superhero known as the Falcon. It's not necessary to make him into Captain America. Who says that there always has to be a Captain America? If the old white guys are so yesterday, retire 'em AND their characters. War Machine is more than an adequate successor to Iron Man - I'd go see a War Machine movie in an instant. I'd love to see the Falcon in a stand-alone movie. There's a lot of potential with already established characters that doesn't require making a "new" Thor or Captain America.

I suspect that few people were ever put out by Supergirl or She-Hulk because they didn't replace Superman or the Hulk. They were just variations on a theme.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

At this point I have to believe it is a personal choice on Jackson’s part. That Marvel hasn’t considered it by now would be crazy.

3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Before Rhoades was War Machine in the comics he was Iron Man for 2 whole years. Him becoming and using Iron Man armor makes sense now especially since War Machine is old tech dating back nearly a decade.

4. dkmonroe

Sorry, I'm not up on everything that has taken place in the comics. In the MCU, he's been War Machine all along and I think that works - people having their own identity is a good thing.

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Well, of course it feels forced. The writers at Marvel willingly admit that whenever they replace main characters it is to get media attention and boost lagging sales. That said, Falcon, Rhoades, and Jane taking up their respective mantles, at least in the short term, is established canon. They can lead to interesting storylines, believe it or not.

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Stan’s “executive producer” credit in these movies was essentially honorary... other than showing up for his cameos he had no creative involvement in them.

showtaper likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

IIRC, Jane Foster was Thor and Sam Wilson was Captain America in the comics right around the time that "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" film was in theaters.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Natalie Portman is too tiny to play Thor. It looked like she needed help holding up the prop hammer.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

A friend of mine who owns a comic shop lamented that it always seemed like whenever there was a Marvel Movie in the theater that people couldn’t rush out and buy a current issue and read about that character because they would have been replaced with a different one. I think he said this when The Avengers was out and people fell in love with The Hulk, but Red Hulk was the only thing available new.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I dont have a problem with Sam being Cap because he's black, my problem is Sam's only superpower is "jet pack"! What's he gonna do? Fly around Red Guardian until he gets disoriented?

BeatleJWOL, showtaper and dkmonroe like this.
  11. dkmonroe

I'm aware of that, I just don't think replacing characters in that manner is an appealing idea. It seems gimmicky. I can see why they do it to shore up sales of a flagging comic book title but I don't think they need to go there in the MCU.

showtaper likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I honestly don't care what Hollywood does. The reason I mention it is because I can't help but draw parallels between the movies and the books. As mentioned upthread, someone went to a comic expecting to see the OG's, and instead got the c-listers. This happened a lot and Marvel caught quite a bit of heat. I'd hate to see the same thing happen in the MCU.

showtaper likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

He'll do the same thing as the Widow, Fury, & Hawkeye, none of these guys should be any help against invading aliens!;)

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I was a big Marvel comic reader as a kid, and I had to do a Google search to remind myself who The Eternals are. If they can make hit movies out of the Eternals and Shang-Chi, they can do anything.

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

What do you think this entire “cinematic universe,” and Hollywood in general, is all about? If hedgehogs bought enough movie tickets, there’d be Hedgehog Thor.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You DID see how big Dinklage was in "Infinity War", right?

Spencer R likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

I am definitely on board for Hedgehog Thor and/or Dinklage Thor. :laugh:

Spencer R likes this.
  18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I'm tho Thor I can hardly pith....... :D

dmiller458 likes this.
  19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I wasn’t interested in Shang-Chi until I found out he was going up against the Mandarin. Weakest part of Iron Man 3 is we got a fraud Mandarin.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I don't remember the name of the character he played...but, I hope he returns!

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The Mandarin is actually Marvel's take on a classic villain, Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu. In a twist that was never taken full advantage of, when Marvel originally introduced Shang Chi they got permission from the Rohmer estate to actually use Fu Manchu, He's Shang Chi's father! A well done modern Fu Manchu story featuring his Bruce Lee-ish son, with maybe the Widow thrown into the mix.....I'm in!;)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

He might have to, to make a new Mjolnir for Lady Thor...

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not overly impressed with the lineup.

Ragnarok was the only Thor movie I really liked and their going backwards with it.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I think a kung fu hero is more in keeping with the Netflix Marvel shows than a theatrical film. But from what I’ve read they gave him actual powers to clone himself later on? The more that I hear about it, the more interesting it could be.

Also, with Dr. Strange and Blade in the mix, I wonder if they are building up to that awesome early 80s storyline where they team up to fight Dracula himself and use the Darkhold to permanently eradicate vampires from the universe. I’d kill to see that on screen!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pity about The Inhumans who got a crappy mini series.

Maybe with a reboot FanTastic Four, the Inhumans can be featured as well. Amazing silver age characters, thank you Jack Kirby.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019