“The Lion King” (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I just saw that the new Lion King is 2 hours long, which is way too long for my son in the theater.
    Toy Story 4 couldn't hold his interest, which is an hour and 40 minutes.

I appreciate you saying some parts might be scary for a 4 year old. It is so difficult to predict what will scare kids. They won't be bothered by something you would have bet on scaring them, and something that doesn't seem scary at all will terrify them.

mmars982 likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nov/Dec! excellent...I'm excited about this. Thanks.
    yea, HUH? the DR. Smith character being female set me off a bit but when they explained it how she stole his identity it was fine. I grew to appreciate the character! : )

3. Michael

and seeing this once should do the same! ; )

4. Michael

just as Vidiot said...I'm happy about this. I'm glad they did modernize the plot....

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The biggest change to me in Lost in Space is that there were dozens and dozens of ships just like the Jupiter 2, all families trying to be part of the mass exodus from Earth to explore and settle distant planets. And another interesting change was that the mother was in a position to falsify the test scores to help her son pass and enter the program, which I thought added a very human dimension to the characters.

But Lion King has the exact same characters as the animated film. I think this approach has divided audiences, some of whom are thrown by the photorealistic CGI animation, which does take awhile to get used to. I think economically, Disney succeeded because the film is making money, but critically, I think they're in for a rough road.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Too bad Felicity Huffman or Lori Loughlin didn't play Maureen Robinson! :shh:

7. Michael

yes, I like that as well...why are they in for a rough road?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think critics have their knives sharpened for Disney in general and Lion King in particular. Recent failures like Dumbo and Solo show that even their high-budget remakes/sequels/prequels are no guarantee of artistic or commercial success. I think Lion King will eventually make money, but people are sharply divided as to whether it's a piece of crap or not. This article goes into some of the problems:

Is 'The Lion King' Remake Necessary? Why Nostalgia Has Divided Critics

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

gotcha, and thanks for the link...

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it Sunday and it was packed with people clapping at the end of the movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Was it real people or "virtual" people?

12. Oatsdad

Wiki claims it cost $260 million and it's at $543 million worldwide.

So it'll definitely make money. It's already doubled its budget over a weekend!

It'll likely be in the black within a week...

13. Michael

in the movie or out?...; )

just kidding...yea, my wife claps at the end of the movie as well AT HOME when she loved the movie! LOL...coo-coo!

14. Michael

LOL...

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Everything that has the Lion King name attached to it has made huge sums of money. As this one will as well.

The critics can say what they will but his is another film where the audience could care less about what the critics opinions are.

When the smoke clears, this will be another Lion King huge success, with the people clapping all the way to the box office.

Budget, estimated $260M, Opening weekend $543.6M, "making it the biggest Disney opening of all time outside of Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. Plus the biggest domestic launch ever for a PG pic, animated or otherwise."

[​IMG]
    I'll call your attention to what the critics said about Aladdin, just a couple months back.

Budget, estimated $183M, Worldwide box office to date $989M.

[​IMG]

The audience doesn't always care what the critics opinions are.

Robert C likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Especially true for family oriented movies. Usually, if the kids liked it and there was nothing in there too difficult for the parents to deal with, word of mouth is going to overcome whatever negatives the critics report.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The opposite is also true: just because an audience likes a film doesn't make it objectively good, certainly not in a critical way by all the usual parameters. Critics don't just complain: the good ones comment on a film in context and analyze the filmmakers' intent. I think there are aspects of Lion King that are bad, and I don't like the "snake eating it's tail" aspect of Disney endlessly doing remakes and sequels, but it's not a great film. My surprise is that it wasn't a terrible film, which is not the same thing as loving it. I did think it was a good film, mainly judging it on its technical aspects. But I would much rather they use the same technology to tell a brand-new, original story with characters we've never seen before.

budwhite and Unknown Delight like this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same here. I hadn't seen a movie crowd applaud for a long time.

19. Oatsdad

I would've been fine with the redone "Lion King" if they'd simply tried to do the story in at least a moderately different way.

But this one borders on carbon copy. It comes with superficial differences but nothing much...

20. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Jeremy Irons was sorely missed. He to me was as irreplaceable as James Earl Jones as Mufasa. I don’t like the new “Be Prepared”. The other new renditions are nice:

ronbow, mmars982 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So, if there wasn't ever a prior animated version, how would this one rate?

Remember that disney has been doing this same thing forever.

Before there were remakes, they would re-release a movie every so many years, to new audiences. The have always done the same thing with their home media. They will release a movie for home viewing for a period then pull it from the market for many years.

So now we have "re-makes, same difference, just a new technology.

Everything Hollywood does or have ever done, it it was successful in the first place is eventually remade.

How many Batman movies have we had, Spiderman?

Every chance they get, they will grab hold of a franchise and bleed it to death.

Yes, I also would greatly prefer new and original movies, but we seem to be stuck with what they feed us.

Which is why I used to be an advent fan of film festivals and their original movies. I have no issues with a good movie being produced on a modest budget. Shooting a movie on a modest budget involves creativity.

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

"Be Prepared" was not supposed to be in the remake, but they made a last minute decision to include it. But they also had already cast an actor who couldn't sing, so it turned into that speak-singing style.

23. Oatsdad

Jeremy Irons wasn't exactly the second coming of Pavarati! ;)

The "speak-singing" aspect of "Prepared" didn't bother me at all. Hey, it worked for Rex Harrison! :D

mmars982 likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can't argue with that. It is a literal remake in every way, with really nothing new except the visual approach. The story and characters are pretty much 99% identical. I only went to see it for the technology, and on that level, I was very impressed. Is it good as a movie? I guess it's OK, but not great.

Meanwhile, the crazy fans on the internet are doing all kinds of Photoshop pastiches showing the live-action creatures with cartoon-like faces, and the results are hiiiiiiiiideous. I can't find any at the moment, but here is a side-by-side of the 1994 version vs. the 2019 version...

[​IMG]

To me, you either buy into the photorealistic CGI animation, or you don't. If you hate it purely because it's a cartoon, that's your right, but I think it's unfair. The story and characters are actually not all that bad.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.