Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

I'm not sure how so? I'd rather let someone decide what they like or what they don't care for. I would be more apt to say "This one didn't work so well for me but others may like it".

I read record reviews to get a sense of what the ones I'm not familiar with are about but I've also found a number of records with negative reviews that I like anyway. We all have differing tastes.

2. Brian Lux

But why not say "Your Thoughts About This Album"? Debate is fine, but so many threads start out with a negative slant. I just don't get that.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too! I like being informed.

Greg Gee likes this.
  4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

If only. The overwhelmingly percentage of posts in negative threads simply namecheck a disliked artist, album, or song, as if someone's unsupported, undefended, nakedly subjective little iota of disapprobation is fascinating information.

From a comment I posted elsewhere yesterday:

It's the fatal flaw of these potshot threads. Grabbing a rubber stamp and going thunk, "Freddie Mercury — dull! But I'm not gonna tell you why!" is itself unutterably boring.

The only justification for negativity is at least a hint of an interesting, well-observed argument that even someone who disagrees can appreciate for its astuteness or amusing eloquence, as a window into someone else's non-dullard mind.

5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

There is a lot more bad music than good.

There is an audience for almost all music, bad or good.

There is no way to sift good from bad without negativity. (Not to mention that there is no way to define good or bad adequately enough for people to agree on it. In this way there is no good or bad at all. But this is impossible to maintain in ones mind)

And social media is all about "The narcissism of small differences"

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Cheers , mate.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I suppose because of the dialogue that results. Anyone interested in music is ostensibly interested in all aspects of it, good and bad. There are numerous glaring problems with the music industry that are of great concern to music fans--brickwalling, for example. You might agree these are worthy of discussion. As for questions like, "What's your suckiest CD?", while some people do get into the negativity, such discussion can often be interesting, illuminating, or funny.

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

For every artist there are more detractors than fans.

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Because there is a major streak of perversity in human nature.

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You are describing 1% of the threads here. Wouldn't say it's "so much" of the forum.

oopap and MortSahlFan like this.
  11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Some people are better at critical thinking than others.

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

It's who we are!
    [​IMG]

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

How so? If someone reports that a certain CD is brickwalled or badly recorded or there's a better version elsewhere then they have saved me money. Simple.

Earscape, ganma, SirMarc and 6 others like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A lot of us have noticed it, the moderators have noticed it, and i've also made comments about it. What's up with that?

It's like the forum has turned angry and hostile and want to lash out. Doesn't matter what it is, people just want to lash out.

15. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

I reckon a LOT of people here have time for that.

16. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

Worst. Post. Ever.
    Just kidding.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s easier to define yourself and make yourself feel cool by putting down somethingthan by lifting up something.

“Hootie and the Blowfish are music for soccer moms” = “I’m not a soccer mom.”

18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

For the most part it's not critical thinking, it's bashing for the hell of it.

mr.datsun, 905, GarySteel and 8 others like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I notice a lot of you have turned this into an argument about mastering. I think the OP is talking about any discussion, not just snout mastering or formats.

20. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Because there are like a billion members, and so there’s bound to be some downers... ;)

21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I honestly have no problems with the negativity. It shows we all care and feel passionately about the music. It’s way better than hanging out with those folks that say they “like all kinds of music “ as a shorthand for not really caring about music other than something playing as a vague distraction in the background. We’re all paying very close attention to the music and feel very strongly about it. In other words...

We b%#€* because we care.

22. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I honestly have no problems with the negativity. It shows we all care and feel passionately about the music. It’s way better than hanging out with those folks that say they “like all kinds of music “ as a shorthand for not really caring about music other than something playing as a vague distraction in the background. We’re all paying very close attention to the music and feel very strongly about it. In other words...

We b%#€* because we care.

23. Brian Lux

Here and elsewhere as well, Grant. Seems like anger is very widespread these days. Not that I don't get angry myself, but like John Lydon says, "Anger is an energy", something to be used to make a positive difference rather than to just be spewed with no intent to do something constructive. I would encourage people to do something useful with that energy and to also seek more opportunities to be joyful and thankful.

24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  25. Devin

Devin Time's Up

My father likes to say: Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative and DON'T MESS WITH MR. IN BETWEEN.

I think he's nuts.