Drums on Pink Floyd's "Mother"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rubberpigg, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member Thread Starter

Why did Jeff Porcaro play drums on "Mother" and not Nick Mason?
    It doesn't sound that hard to play.
    But I am not a drummer.

Chrome_Head, deredordica and g.z. like this.
  2. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

It's got some weird timing things and it's not as simple as it sounds. Nick probably could have figured something out but it was probably quicker to have Porcaro do it.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Nick struggled to work out a good part so Jeff did that and then Nick had to learn it for the live shows.

Rubberpigg likes this.
  4. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Because Roger Waters?

somnar, Szeppelin75, Maurice and 16 others like this.
  5. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I am going to guess Roger and Bob Ezrin did not like Nick's contribution to the song. It does not seem strange that Nick would have trouble playing on that track.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Mason's feeble attempts at a drum part for "Mother" are featured twice in the Wall Immersion box. No big mystery why he was replaced.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Frequent meter changes (verse switches between 5/8 and 4/4 and has a 3/4 bar, chorus switches between 4/4 and 6/8).

8. BadJack

I've never counted it out but I've played along to it. I can fake it well enough if I pay close attention to Waters' vocals.

9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

It is to me, I think his contributions are way better than what ended up on the album. He plays straight through the off beats and then when the off beat catches up with him, he changes to the offbeat. It's very creative and gives the song a cool feel. It has to be intentional. I had never heard those early versions until the Immersion set and I thought "wow, that was great, why did they change the drums!"

Porcaro definitely simplified the part and the song becomes way more straight forward.

My guess is either they (Ezrin and/or Waters) decided after a while they didn't like the odd feel of the original drums at a time when Nick wasn't around (like an afterthought) or they asked Nick to change it and he said "have someone else do it, I'm done" or something.

Incidentally, I really love the droning keyboard in the verse in some of the early versions as well.

EDIT: One other thing I like on the early takes is that when the guitar solo kicks in, the bass stays on the G throughout the whole solo, instead of changing to the C & D like the other instruments. It gives the song a great tension, along with those aborted keyboards and the odd feel of the drums.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It all goes with the lyric. Maybe a reason why the OP didn't think it sounded difficult.

tug_of_war and BadJack like this.
  11. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Far from “feeble attempts”.

pinkrudy, Larry L, Holy Diver and 9 others like this.
  12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Bob Ezrin is traditionally pretty quick to swap people out for his favorite studio pros.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

While we're at it: on 'Two Suns in the Sunset', the closing track of 'The Final Cut', Nick was replaced by Andy Newmark. Also a difficult part? Or were tensions already too high?

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Yes feeble. Mason is clearly completely lost in the timechanged.

tug_of_war, Raf and groundharp like this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Again, lots of meter changes. Not Nick's strong suit, as great as he is at straight time and the 7/8 on "Money"

16. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member Thread Starter

I see that for the concerts in support of The Wall a second drummer, Willie Wilson, was used.
    He initially appeared on stage wearing a mask to make himself look like Nick Mason.
    His contributions can be heard on "Is There Anybody Out There?"
    So I guess those drum parts were a bit tricky for Nick.

17. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

See-Saw has those meter changes too.
    That's why Norman Smith played it.
    (Remember A Day is Mason whatever anybody says.) :wiggle:

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Maybe Nick's playing was too obtrusive and pompous. Or not pompous enough?

19. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

This is the most logical answer.

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They had a whole surrogate band, so I guess maybe that the album was tricky for all of them?

Larry L, zabble, theshape and 3 others like this.
  21. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Every musician on the planet has a blind spot. That particular pattern was his. No big deal. Time is money in the studio(both PF songs, mind), so sometimes it's a simple matter of practicality.

Dan

22. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

"Mother" - Pink Floyd

Bolero, MitchLT, Zack and 2 others like this.
  23. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Stuff learnt again the forum.:edthumbs:

24. BadJack

The funniest thing about this version is that Mason just keeps plugging away in 4/4, and the time changes work out so that he eventually winds up back in the right rhythm.

25. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Wow the Roger Waters haters... Nick wasn't copping the groove (it is trickier than it sounds) so they did what they had to do. Im sure Roger didnt throw Nick off the kit while everyone else stood by in shock.... there's no way it was Roger's choice alone. Nick probably agreed. And Roger obviously had no problem letting Dave play bass parts when Roger himself wasn't up to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.