Laserdisc player as CD transport?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeff Edwards, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a nice old Pioneer Elite CLD-99 combo laserdisc player, that really isn't being used anymore. I seem to remember that, years ago, there was some talk that laserdisc players made better than average CD transports. I don't know; I'm somewhat suspicious of multi-purpose devices.

Anyway, does anyone have any opinion of these players as CD transports? I was considering buying a cheap external DAC like the Entech on ebay and trying it with the Pioneer. Is the result going to be any better on redbook than a cheapie universal player like the Oppo 970 or something like that?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

The CD sound on my CLD-D604 is pretty good.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I suppose, like everything else, it's a case by case basis, with your ears being your guide.

My experience: I've got a CLD-97 – fairly the equivalent of your 99... I originally got it to get a better picture on the few laserdiscs I have... but I also hooked it up as a CD transport as well, on the premise that it was more sturdily-built than my DVD player (45a)... it goes through an older EAD dac (7000 mkIII), which had yielded an obvious improvement in CD sound over any DVD player (or the receiver DACs) in the chain.

I casually tried the the 97's analog outs for CD, and was astonished to hear that it was nearly the equal of the old-but-pricy EAD dac... so for me, the 97 is a standout CD player as well as a transport (in my mid-fi HT rig anyway).

You might consider giving the 99 a chance to prove itself before spending on a DAC.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Theta Digital made a CD transport that was highly regarded in its day from a LaserDisc transport. I believe it was called the Theta Data.

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Another thing that LD players excell at is reading troublesome CD-R's that some players don't like.

6. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I think the Theta Data was built upon the same Pioneer LD transport used in the CLD-99 and 97.

7. Rachael Bee

I think it's actually based on the CLD-95 which is a very similar predecessor model to the 97. The 99 is a newer, different transport.

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Since laserdisc players have to hold huge, heavy platters (that do warp) steady, they are certainly overengineered as transports in that particular respect.

9. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

When I had my audio system set up, I used my Pioneer CLD-704 as a cd player on a regular basis over my other cd player, a Pioneer 101 cd changer that my wife wanted.. but subsequently rarely used herself.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I will always defer to a Romper Room, don't bee grad-gee-at... besides, Ms Bee knows her LDs.

I always had this lingering impression that the 97 and 99 were more alike than not... but I've been wrong before.

Still, I say give that 99 a try as a CD player on its own.

11. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

My DVL919 has been my cd transport for quite a few year's. I also love it for it's redbook sound of Neil Young's Rust never sleeps and U-2's Rattle and hum. Talk about real bass! Sing's a beughtiful duet with my Adcom gda-700 d/a.

12. Etron Memke

Etron Memke Member

I've used my Pioneer CLD-D406 as my CD player ever since I got it - it sounds SOOO much better than the DVD players I was using before [due to space and lack of inputs*] - the CLD-D406 even has a seperate tray for CDs so I don't have to have the large 12" tray out every time I play a 5" CD!

*I've got my CLD-D406 connected [aurally anyway] by an optical digital cable, in case you care....

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've got a Sony MDP 210. The sound on it isn't all that great (certainly not as good as my Arcam CD transport) but it does play pretty much anything; no matter how unplayable a CD might be in the CD or DVD players, the laserdisc player will handle it.

14. ibrahim

ibrahim New Member

I wish to add DAC to my laserdish player which has no digital output. Please advise how to modify it. Thank you in advance.

15. Rachael Bee

In the wake of the demise of the LD format, there are so many used decks about. Why can't you snag one, that presumably including digital out, will be slightly better than your present deck?

Do decks like the CLD-99D float about in your area? It's got it all and it's multi-voltage.

What you want can be done but the fee might exceed the value of your deck? Your money might be better spent on another deck....? What deck have you now? :)

16. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

my pioneer sounds great as well, although not as good as my arcam or my rega, but then again, didnt cost as much as those players.... well maybe if you count in the inflation factor.

17. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

My understanding is that with the right external DAC, the device that reads the disc becomes less of an issue.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Do those Sony LD players have digital outs?

19. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

The one I had that I bought back in 1991 did.

The player was junk, but it was all I had and lasted until about 2001 when it finally just couldn't spin up the disc anymore. That's when I bought the Pioneer 704 used that I have now.

20. Rachael Bee

My MDP-333, a budjet model, had an optical out. All the Sony LD players I've seen had digital outputs. I would never recommend Sony LD players for playing LD's....:p ....but as CD players they're not bad. BTW, my 333 died a young and violent death and took an X-Files LD with it when the main board went out and the laser assembly went bezerk....digging a trench in said LD. As LD players, ALL U.S. Sony models produce video in the 47-48 BD range. Anything below 50 DB is a bit noisey. Sony made nice LD players for the home market but their export stuff was poor.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I pulled out my old Sony LD player. It is a made in Japan model MDP-A2. I had a Pioneer before that, that was damaged in a move, so I think this was purchased around 1993. Took a look inside -- a pretty sturdy looking rails and transport. Fired it up, connected the optical output, and put on a disk. It actually sounds pretty good. I'll try the analogue outs later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.