What's the Best Indiana Jones Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Feb 23, 2019.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I used to think Temple of Doom was the best of the (then) 3, and would tell that to people when they asked. They seemed shocked, and I never knew why. Now, I rate it third, with Raiders being the best, by far, but I love the serial idea they went for. It has an old-timey feel to it, and the Kali Ma scene is killer! It's a lot of fun at the movies!

2. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I saw Raiders the day it was released and couldn't believe it only got a PG.

Steve Litos likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

That's why they eventually acceded to the idea of "PG-13": too many movies that were in that nebulous spot between "PG" and "R".

I see why it seemed too violent for "PG", but I also can't view it as an "R"... :shrug:

MrSka57 likes this.
  4. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Exactly. Thanks.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

A puppy in a fedora, and Nazi kittens... what's not to love?

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Everything

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Okaaaay.... isn't there a parade somewhere you should be raining on?

8. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Raiders is #1. Last Crusade is a better film than Temple, but somehow it's less fun to watch.

I haven't seen Crystal Skull since it was in theaters. I didn't go until a few weeks in, and by then it had been skewered by everyone. Definitely the weakest, but my expectations were so low that I actually enjoyed it. Shia swinging through the trees was the only cringe-worthy moment for me.

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes. Yours? :D

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Oh, I disagree there.

"Crusade" is a bit lackluster for its first act, but once Connery arrives, it's a delight.

The chemistry between Ford and Connery makes the movie!

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

:eek: Spoiler Alert!

Grunge Master likes this.
  12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Doom
    4. Why?

Juan Matus likes this.
  13. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

A 4K release of the full quadrilogy has just been announced. There is a standard edition for all retailers and this Best Buy exclusive Steelbook edition:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/indian...blu-rayonly--best-buy/6457772.p?skuId=6457772

For the standard edition, Target is cheaper than Amazon at $86.99.

Interestingly, this article says Paramount says "they had 'extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image.' They noted Indiana Jones film director Steven Spielberg approved all the picture work."

The INDIANA JONES Movies Get a 4K Ultra HD Set - Nerdist

It's a tone-deaf choice of words given the attitude among fans toward the Star Wars: Special Editions, but it could just be referring to things like cleaning up matte lines. Although I think there was some analysis out there a few years ago that an HD version of Raiders shown on TV had visual effects changes done in the scene where the truck falls off the cliff. So I don't know if that's the kind of territory we're going to be getting into here.

The article says all the bonus content is previously released.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Raiders is my favorite movie. Temple of Doom is underrated, but the actual temple scene where Indy is being tortured is very hard to watch. Other than that, it’s a fun ride. Last Crusade is also fun, but is a bit of a rehash with the Nazis again as the villains. The less said about Crystal Skull, the better.

15. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

They get progressively worse as time goes on...

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Two minor nitpicks: (a) The casual murder of Arabs is a bit racist, and (b) the 5 or 10-minutes just prior to the climactic island-wrath-of-God scene (with Indy on the boat, swimming around or whatever he's doing) is a bit muddled, rush-edited or something and doesn't really make sense. But those two points aside, this is a near-perfect fun, action-adventure type film.

2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Major flaw with this one is the VERY racist depiction of Indians, in general. Otherwise, I like it. It's darker, all outside of the USA, and is therefore very different from the first (or next).

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Cute, family-fun! Nice brisk pace, good-ish story, but way too funny and audience-pandering. (As I recall, it's also photographed too bright, looking like a Disney movie or a TV show.)

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    An abomination, predictably. Horrid.

twicks, Kyle B and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Rumor is that everything that was optically composited has been recomposited digitally.

JediJones likes this.
  17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I am totally okay with that.

18. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

My ranking of these films follows the films releases, with Crystal Skull being way under par compared to the other three, to the extent I've erased it from my 'head canon'. It almost feels like a parody of Indiana Jones, and as for what they did to Marion... totally different character IMHO. Hoping James Mangold can somehow balance the drama, the thrills, the darkness, supernatural elements, awe and grandeur at the maguffin, and just a pinch of that Saturday Matinee serial 'mojo' to keep it fun, without becoming parody, or swinging the other way not becoming uber serious and wallow in Indy's age too much. It still needs to fit in with the other three... I hope they ape Douglas Slocombe's amazing photography more than Crystal Skull did too, and naturally that John Williams decides to finish the saga with one last Indy score. Cautiously optimistic about this one.

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I overheard some high-schoolers talking the other day at a bowling alley.

Kid #1: Have you seen those movies? Indiana Jones?
    Kid #2: I know, right? They're amazing.
    Kid #3: I heard they're making another one this year.
    Kid #1: With who? The original guy? (laughs hysterically) HE'S ANCIENT!

MichaelH likes this.
  20. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Yet he can probably still kick their asses.

21. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I went with Temple of Doom. An absolute thrill ride from start to finish, which Raiders of the Lost Ark is NOT. Close, but it peters out before the end.

twicks likes this.
  22. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Raiders, though I love all four. Yes, even Crystal Skull has its charms.

MichaelH, Oatsdad and twicks like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm fine with Crystal Skull through the opening act. The Area 51 warehouse is fun, and I love the atomic test town and yes, even the fridge scene. End it there and you've got a solid little half-hour "episode."

24. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Agreed. I read that Lucas was pushing the aliens aspect for that movie for years, and Spielberg resisted, which is why there was almost 20 years between the third and fourth movies. There were a bunch of scripts written in the 1990s that were discarded. I’ve love to see them now - I think one was about the lost city of Atlantis.

twicks likes this.
  25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Bobby Buckshot likes this.