“The Lion King” (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I haven't seen much if any commentary on the additional 30 minutes in running time for the 2019 movie, what did they add in terms of scenes?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't remember any completely new scenes, but many scenes are drawn out longer than in the original.

This site gives a pretty good list of the differences: Here's How the New 'Lion King' Is Different From the Original

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Quote from the above link...

Nala gets more screen time
    Nala has always been a fan favorite; now, with Beyoncé giving her voice, she gets a beefed-up role. The story has traditionally upheld that she is a strong fighter; when Simba and Nala tussle, she tends to come out on top. But this time she also gets a solo scene when she makes a bold escape from the lion’s den with the help of a distraction tactic from Zazu. Back at Pride Rock, her fighting prowess is again highlighted.

I feel a Simba and Nala sequel on the horizon...

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

It doesn’t hold a candle to this though:

ShayL likes this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Not to mention the visual from the original movie. The remake is pretty bland (I mean just this scene, not the whole movie).

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, it's not as good. Just saying that the vocal style didn't bother me.

I thought the movie as a whole was fairly meh - and that version of "Be Prepared" wasn't better than meh either!

Jrr likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Yeah, the movie went down a pretty bold path with the 1994 "Be Prepared". Visuals that strongly evoke Nazi propaganda aren't a staple of Disney movies! :D

mmars982 likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Actually, for me you described the whole film. Technically beautiful, but not even close to the original. Totally lacks in emotion because I think they were going for realism with the animals and I think the actors were hamstrung because of it. I was actually border line bored during parts of it, and I’m a huge fan of the original. In the end, for me, after seeing this there was no reason to remake this. Some stories are just better told as an animated film. This doesn’t play well as something that depicts realism imo. But I have enjoyed some of the other remakes. I have zero interest in the upcoming Little Mermaid after seeing this.

SandAndGlass, brownie61 and mmars982 like this.
  9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I completely agree! My favorite animated movie is Moana. I can’t even imagine how they could capture that story realistically. One of the best things about that film is Maui’s ever-changing tattoos! And honestly, these films appeal to me as much for the (old-school) animation as for the stories.

SandAndGlass and Jrr like this.
  10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

At the risk of being branded a nitpicker, both versions of "The Lion King" are animated films. I thought the theatrical production of this story worked better than this CG animated version, so its more than just the medium.

Jrr likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's a philosophical distinction in this case because when an animated film is so photorealistic as to be indistinguishable from reality, what does it matter that it was made inside a computer?

Imagine the same technology being used to make a wildlife 'documentary' where the animals also behaved like real animals. To the uninformed, this would look like a real, filmed documentary. Heh, Disney should totally do this!

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I would say it is more practical than philosophical in the case of The Lion King. Next level would be aesthetic. I'll concede that the hypothesized fake documentary would definitely cross over to ethical and philosophical, but would also beg the question: "Would the Meerkats still speak like Billy Eichner?" :laugh:

13. Oatsdad

It's not a philosophical distinction at all. Animated is animated - if it's crude stick figures that dance around the screen or critters that look real, they're still animated.

Ken's correct to say the 2019 is just as much an animated film as the 1994...

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

As I was reading your post, it just occurred to me that obviously you are right, but that they have taken the realism so far that I had forgotten it is animation. Toy Story 4, despite improvements in the animation, still looks fully like a cartoon. So, my point was I think they should have approached Lion King the same way. Obviously just my opinion. At some point what’s the point of producing an animated feature just to make it look like anything but? I thought one of the benefits was you can do whatever your mind can envision with a cartoon; they were clearly trying not to do that with the animals in this film. Can’t argue with it’s success, however, but we’ll see how the next one does.

brownie61 likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

An incredible, amazing film will be made using this. Lion King wasn’t it, but it sure shows Hollywood producers what can be done. I am waiting for one of those epic, end of the world tent pole type films that use this (ie, Independence Day). Or, why haven’t they produced a WELL done movie like Jaws using this? Seems that at this point, you can make whatever film you want with no regard to limitations due to technology.

16. Oatsdad

You're not alone, as many others call the 2019 film "live-action".

Some of that stems from the photo-real creations, and some stems from the subgenre of "live action Disney remakes" that's now a major enterprise. People tend to view all these Disney remakes as "live action", even when they're not.

The 2016 "Jungle King" was also mainly an animated film, but it had enough live action to semi-fit under that banner.

Not so with "Lion King"! :)

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Can’t argue with your point, but at some juncture (I think we’ve hit it now) what’s the point of going that route and calling it animation if it isn’t fun? I think the way Lion King was presented, it used a tool called animation to get the job done. But for me, calling it an animated film is only accurate as a technicality. But obviously your point is also correct.

brownie61 likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I thought Jungle Book was a perfect use and balance of he technology; really enjoyed it!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Confused - are you saying all animated films must be "fun"?

20. Oatsdad

Like "Lion King", I thought it was redundant. It branched away from the 1967 version more than "Lion King" veers from 1994, but it still seemed kinda pointless to me! :shrug:

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Apparently, there is only one scene in the whole movie that is truly live with no cgi. I don't know which one. Probably one with no animals shown.

22. Oatsdad

Really? I was under the impression all the settings were CG as well as the animals...

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think it is just one small scene that was thrown in there for some reason. The director said this in a making of shown on TV. At least that is what my wife told me (she saw it, I didn't). Whatever it is, it is pretty trivial. Most of the movie is in fact CGI, including the backgrounds.

24. Oatsdad

I saw on another site that apparently the very first shot of the movie is real.

Would've made more sense to make a random shot mid-movie real to see if people could tell after they'd gotten used to CG Africa!

mmars982 likes this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The One Live-Action Shot In 'The Lion King' Revealed

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.