Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very interesting Soundtrack - one many here may enjoy. I’ll post the songs soon.

It’s already up on SPOTIFY.

Listen to the Soundtrack for Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’
    [​IMG] Written by Jordan Raup on July 26, 2019
    [​IMG]

As much of an event as a new Quentin Tarantino film is also the arrival of a new soundtrack for said film. When it comes to his latest, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood, it’s also one of his most well-curated albums. Immersing us deep into the 1960s, it features famous tracks from Deep Purple, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Seger, and more, as well as a few advertisements that are heard on the radio in the film and radio-friendly transitions to boot.

There are also three songs featured prominently in the trailers: Los Bravos’ Bring a Little Lovin’, Paul Revere & The Raiders’ Good Thing, and Neil Diamond’s Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show. One song in a trailer not on the soundtrack is The Mama’s and the Papa’s’ Straight Shooter, which we’ve included below. As far as my favorite track used in the film, it has to be José Feliciano’s somber cover of California Dreamin’, a chilling precursor to what will unfold.

• 1. “Treat Her Right” – Roy Head & The Traits
    • 2. “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man – The Bob Seger System
    • Boss Radio feat. Humble Harve:
    • 3. “Hush” – Deep Purple
    • 4. “Mug Root Beer Advertisement”
    • 5. “Hector” – The Village Callers
    • 6. “Son of a Lovin’ Man” – Buchanan Brothers
    • 7. “Paxton Quigley’s Had the Course” (from the MGM film Three in the Attic) – Chad & Jeremy
    • 8. “Tanya Tanning Butter Advertisement”
    • 9. “Good Thing” – Paul Revere & The Raiders
    • 10. “Hungry” – Paul Revere & the Raiders
    • 11. “Choo Choo Train” – The Box Tops
    • 12. “Jenny Take a Ride” – Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels (Trivia: this was the title track for Hell Ride)
    • 13. “Kentucky Woman” – Deep Purple
    • 14. “The Circle Game” – Buffy Sainte-Marie
    • Boss Radio feat. The Real Don Steele:
    • 15. “Mrs. Robinson” – Simon & Garfunkel (Trivia: this was the title song from The Graduate)
    • 16. “Numero Uno Advertisement”
    • 17. “Bring a Little Lovin'” – Los Bravos
    • 18. “Suddenly / Heaven Sent Advertisement”
    • 19. “Vagabond High School Reunion”
    • 20. “KHJ Los Angeles Weather Report”
    • 21. “The Illustrated Man Advertisement / Ready For Action”
    • 22. “Hey Little Girl” – Dee Clark
    • 23. “Summer Blonde Advertisement”
    • 24. “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” – Neil Diamond
    • 25. “Don’t Chase Me Around” (from the MGM film GAS-S-S-S) – Robert Corff
    • 26. “Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon” – Paul Revere & the Raiders (feat. Mark Lindsay)
    • 27. “California Dreamin'” – Jose Feliciano
    • 28. “Dinamite Jim (English Version)” – I Cantori Moderni di Alessandroni (Trivia: from the soundtrack of Dinamite Jim)
    • 29. “You Keep Me Hangin’ On (Quentin Tarantino Edit)” – Vanilla Fudge
    • 30. “Miss Lily Langtry” (cue from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean) – Maurice Jarre
    • 31. “KHJ Batman Promotion

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

3. Paperback Writer

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just saw the movie tonight.

Love the soundtrack.

5. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

How'd you feel about the movie good, bad, indifferent?

6. Paperback Writer

Loved it!

I’m not a knowledgeable Tarantino observer, but this one was easy to enjoy, yet giving a feel of endangerment - while able to stimulate the mind and anticipate/fear oncoming events in the movie.

Lots and tons of 60’s pop culture references and a driving soundtrack to keep the pace going.

7. Tarantino's soundtracks are always immaculately picked and curated. I love his Kill Bill soundtrack.

8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Sounds great. I'm in!

Paperback Writer likes this.
  9. Further

Further Forum Resident

This will be one to pick up. Reminds a bit of the Underground Radio comps that Steve mastered.

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Love this Song used during the Closing Credits of Kill Bill Vol. 2

VU Master, Carlox, Rupe33 and 5 others like this.
  11. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Also just got back from the movie, just a great time in general, very immersive movie and the third act is amazing.

12. Paperback Writer

Trailer with some music

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The only QT Movie Soundtrack I own is 'The Hateful Eight', so need to correct that hole in my Collection and buy a few other of his Movie Soundtracks eventually. The Songs in both Kill Bill Movies are really good though.

Also, since 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' is based on the LA Area in 1969, I was kind of hoping a Doors Song would have been used in the Movie, but maybe getting the rights to use one of their Songs was too expensive. Although, I own all the essential Doors Studio and Live Albums, so not essential, but just would have been awesome to hear a Doors Song in the Movie(plan to go see it in the next 2 weeks).

14. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Probably used up the budget to license the Stones song

15. Paperback Writer

Yeah, agree , but I figure he was going for the less obvious, as he also excluded any White Album references vis a vis Manson Family.

The collage of songs was to portray more of a pop sensibility with some obvious rock melded to it. Yet: he used the Jose Feliciano version of California Dreaming to flip the Sunshine and give the song some “Shade”to the lyrics.

The ribbing the Doors fan got because he was listening to - and digging -Paul Revere
    And the Raiders was a nugget relating to our discussion.

EDIT; ok, there was a reference to ,”piggies”.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  16. Paperback Writer

That song - Out of Time - was a vital part of the Soundtrack to Coming Home - Which was a movie about the Viet Man War - which was heavily in the background of this movie.

17. Paperback Writer

This song from the film soundtrack made it to #18 , but I bet is still largely unheard by the general music listening public - this soundtrack will introduce it to a new audience.

How Fun is this!

joelee, Mooserfan, efraley and 8 others like this.
  18. pdas1996

pdas1996 Forum Resident

I wonder who won Batman and Robin's color TV...

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Last year Purples "Hush" had a pretty sinister outing in "BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE".

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

"largely unheard"? I hear this one quite regularly around here... although it didn't make anything in europe. Strange... anyway, great to see it's featured in Quentin's new flick :righton:

forthlin and Paperback Writer like this.
  21. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

Death Proof is my favorite Tarantino movie soundtrack EVER

JMAC, geo50000, Lemon Curry and 5 others like this.
  22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Track 30 is from 1972 but as it’s from Maurice Jarre’s score to The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean it doesn’t matter.

Having said that, I loved Tarantino’s use of funk and pop songs in Inglorious Basterds.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Although Tarantino is derivative of Scorsese in his soundtracks, I still feel that he's probably the “greatest” curator that there has been or is likely to be. The use of licensed music has been debased over the last thirty years so that even the tracks unearthed by Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill have gone on to become musical clichés ... barely better than (what young people call) memes. That process seems to happen more & more quickly these days, so that any track that has any dramatic weight will probably be utterly mined out before the movie comes to Netflix.

It occurred to me the other day that anyone so minded could probably get their summer listening from Love Island, where a soundtrack of contemporary music is put together to point up the storm-in-a-teacup emotional dramas of a bunch of idiots. As a discovery mechanic it makes me want to despair!

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It will be even MORE fun, when the previously unreleased QUAD mix of that song and the original album that it came from shows up at my door in the next week or two!!! Plus, it also will have the "Indian Reservation" album in QUAD as well, on SACD!

duttonvocalion.co.uk store: Paul Revere & The Raiders - Hard 'n' Heavy (with marshmallow) & Indian Reservation [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] | New releases - Popular | CDSML8563 |