Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That movie was visually a rough ride for me to watch, as it was beyond graphic even for Tarantino, but he did have some great (and unique) songs on that soundtrack, especially this "alternate version" of The Coasters "Down In Mexico" ...

The original version ... Coasters - Down In Mexico, 1956 Atco 78 record.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Down in Mexico was from a cheapo compilation on Gusto

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

QT must love Paul Revere and The Raiders and Neil Diamond.

4. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, given his fondness for their music - and the movie - I was totally expecting this song (Cinderella Sunshine) to burst into the theater — would have fit!

Fender Relic likes this.
  5. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

So, in a few (short?) years, Paul Revere & The Raiders became Paul Revere & The Raiders (feat. Mark Lindsay)?

6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

8. Paperback Writer

Deep Purple, too.

Here is an inspired choice, as they do Neil’s Kentucky Woman.

2141 and unclefred like this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Tracklist looks a LOT better than the one for "Inherent Vice", also set in 1969 LA.

vince likes this.
  10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Think that was set a year or two later. It did have Neil Young’s Journey Through The Past on the soundtrack when it didn’t come out until 1972, which sent my pedant-metre off the scale.

11. Paperback Writer

Exert from good article, link below:

Inside Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Soundtrack

“We hear Sharon say, ‘Don’t tell Jim Morrison you’re dancing to the Raiders!’ They never had the coolness vibe of bands like the Doors, but they were a good pop band.”

“Hungry” is featured in a scene in which Tate (played by Margot Robbie) meets Manson for the first time. “It’s a cool, creepy song,” she says, “and it matches the moment perfectly.” The Raiders were chosen for a specific historical reason: “Terry Melcher, who was Doris Day’s son, was their producer, and he lived in the Cielo Drive house [where the murders took place] and had a connection to the Manson family.”

The Buchanan Brothers, “Son of a Lovin’ Man” (1969): Heard in a party scene set at the Playboy Mansion, this adult-bubblegum deep cut wasn’t made by actual brothers but by a trio of singer-songwriter-producers (two of whom went on to form the folk-pop duo Cashman and West). “It’s such a great dancing song, and it’s not that easy to find,” says Ramos. “That was a record in Quentin’s collection.”

Ramos says at least part of her budget went to buying better copies of that vinyl in Tarantino’s stash. “A lot of times, some of the records Quentin had weren’t so pristine,” she laughs. “So when you’re getting ready to put them in the film, there’s quite a hefty bill for vinyl to get slightly better copies.”

12. Paperback Writer

13. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I didn't see the Stones song in the list, but it possibly the most important song in the movie, foreshadowing what is coming.
    The movie is WONDERFUL, go see it on the big screen , but go to the can first, 2 hours and 40 minutes

14. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I would like to add that this is one of the most impressive sound editing and design experiences I’ve had in a theater in a long time. Definitely go to a trusted theater for sound, and have that home theater calibrated for when you watch it again at home.

15. Paperback Writer

I was anticipating hearing Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” - then dismissed the thought because it was so identified with Ground Hog Day.

Then I looked up who played the female hitch-hiker when I got home and found she is the daughter of Andie Mc Dowell -=who starred in Ground Hog Day!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair...

Paperback Writer likes this.
  17. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Because of the Charles Manson - Terry Melcher - Dennis Wilson connection, I thought "Never Learn Not To Love" might be included.

18. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I'm a huge fan of all things Tarantino, particularly the soundtracks to his movies, so was very keen to get my hands on this yesterday. Really enjoying it. Some fabulous tunes on it. I'm slightly disappointed that the marvellous Straight Shooter by The Mamas & Papas isn't on it, as it's rather prominent in one of the trailers, but that's a minor quibble.

19. Paperback Writer

Yeah, that’s curious - especially since YouTube is littered with videos like this:

Says it was uploaded in May - probably some back story to this.

20. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

His quirkish movies are definitely sweetened by his quirkish soundtracks. Impeccable choices. Love ‘em all.

21. Paperback Writer

This song IS on the soundtrack, but somehow Spotify left it off their edition of the Soundtrack - yet the song IS in their system!?!?!?

unclefred and hi_watt like this.
  22. Paperback Writer

Big Summer for Mama’s and Papa’s Music - as this song was featured in this soundtrack and their song “Go Where You Wanna Go” is performed in Echoes of the Canyon.
    Unfortunately, the original is not used there and the version used pales by comparison. (IMHO)

Echo In The Canyon - Have You Seen It?

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

“Chick Habit” forever.

[​IMG]

24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

largely unheard in that in the US on oldies radio it has been written out of history for such a sizeable hit.

25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

while the version used in that film was recorded in 1972, it did not come out until 2009 on Neil Young Archives. I thought its use in the film was well done.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.