Why so much interest in negative aspects of music here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Jul 25, 2019.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Bingo.

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

These are good points and discussing the technical aspects of recording is, indeed, interesting. What my basic premise is here, on the other hand, is to question why we see so many threads with title like:

The worst guitar solo ever.

Bands you cannot stand to listen to.

The most pathetic drum solo on earth.

The most lame haircuts on a bassist (lol, had to throw an exaggeration in to keep it light!)

etc.

I'm not saying these should not be allowed (I'm no thread cop!), but it just seems to me that they seem to come up on a regular basis and that so many are just pointless bashing offering nothing constructive. I just don't understand all the negativity or why some seem more inclined in that direction.

3. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The point I was trying to make earlier, not meant to be a criticism of your OP, but rather a response, is that conflict, and the resolution of conflict, generates interest.

You don't pick up a paper on a day when nothing happens... you go to the beach.

Brian Lux likes this.
  4. Brian Lux

That's all good, Khaki. Again, it the pointless bashing that I'm more concerned with.

But it's not like I stay up nights thinking about it, get ulcers over the issue and go to a shrink to try to resolve my despair! I save those wonderful moments for more serious stuff like WHY WON'T THIS GUITAR STAY IN TUNE?! :laugh:

Khaki F likes this.
  5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

[​IMG]
    Without darkness there can be no light. Without negative there can be no positive.

I wonder if the OP and those who agree with him also abstain from frequenting movies that portray violence, crime, poverty, etc. Do you only listen to music with uplifting, sunny, positive lyrics and themes? Of course you don’t. You’re just like the rest of us. Admit it, it’s ok.

Bring on the negative threads - they’re more fun and we learn from others’ failures and mistakes.

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

This is life?

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Cheers , mate. Make that double cheers.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

"If you wrote a message with white chalk on a white board, no one would see it." ~ Paramahansa Yogananda

9. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

It's a comment...to a thread...on a forum.

10. Wildest cat from montana

I hear ya and ya have a point. There is nothing wrong with posting a related link.
    However..
    I posted my first thread here a few weeks ago. Within minutes someone jumped in and told me the topic had been done before , the thead title and it's contents were juvenile and that the forum was being degraded. He droned on about how fab the forum was in the good old days when the topics and comments were intelligent and informative and men were truly men....
    Hmm , I thought to myself , what have I stepped into here?

Jarleboy and steve phillips like this.
  11. Brian Lux

I wonder if the OP and those who agree with him also abstain from frequenting movies that portray violence, crime, poverty, etc.

I have seen many films of that nature but you lost me on that one. I don't see how that relates to the pointless bashing of music that offers nothing constructive.

Do you only listen to music with uplifting, sunny, positive lyrics and themes?

Ummm, let's take a look at a few of the bands in my record collection... Adolescents, Black Flag, D.O.A., Fugazi, Minor Threat, Minutemen, Rollins Band, Social Distortion... I think I'd have to answer that one, "No".

But do I start threads that bash music I'm not a fan of? Again, no.

12. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Perhaps it shouldn't be taken as negative. Everyones got their preferences remaster, song, vocalist, and etc. wise and perhaps some people are completely full of themselves and are some audiophile mastermind but most just have certain preferences and don't judge people regardless. Now to tell the truth these forums are responsible for me starting to collect old CD's cause I do personally see the flaws in modern remasters and mastering techniques but I still love the music nonetheless and have no ill will towards others music opinions. You can't make much out of a thread without some negative opinions, you just have to be smart and not let one negative opinion rule over your own personal opinion.

13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Hell yeah I've been there!! I know, I know, first world problems. But seriously that is one of the most annoying things ever! Until I switched to a Floyd Rose trem. And now life is good again.;)

Still love my 68 Strat though.

Brian Lux likes this.
  14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Those things also have to be interesting to be successful, just like literature and non fiction. My point is that the reason you need conflict in a movie is not just because it's a story, and not a thread post. It's because all things need to be interesting or they are boring.

15. Brian Lux

Wow! I mean, WOW! I seem to have missed that post. But that kind of reaction goes beyond simply being negative. It's belligerent, rude and ironic that it mentioned the word "juvenile". I won't waste my time responding to that kind of post.

16. Brian Lux

Cool!

Devin likes this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

We don’t pit artists against each other. We don’t slam artists out of hand. But we are free to criticize an artist’s work.

It’s called conversation.

18. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Your putting the cart before the horse. And I don't think what your saying your point is, in fact, is your point.

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I tried a few such threads but they bombed:

The least collectible 78 rpm white label promo.

Least favorite album your 1 year old told you about.

The Temptations most neu-metal album.

Christian rock albums ruined by Satanic lyrics.

Brian Lux, stax o' wax and Devin like this.
  20. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Are you going to tell me what it is?

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You'll figure out who the must to avoids are after you've been here a while longer. Trust me, the good folks far outnumber the bad on this forum.

22. Wildest cat from montana

Ta for the heads'up. Oh , I can already see a few whose thoughts clash with mine but hey , it's a ( mostly) open forum.

Jarleboy and ralphb like this.
  23. Brian Lux

:laugh:

Cheers, Raunchnroll!

24. Brian Lux

So true Good Ralph!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not everyone creates their own bubble. Some were dimply born into it and surrounded with it for any number of reasons not of their own making.

Exactly.

That's not being negative. It's not even in the word's definition. That is simply informing people that the topic has been discussed in the past. I can see starting a new thread if the older one(s) have been closed because of age or inactivity, which this forum's software will do automatically.

These days I abstain from watching such movies. I know that sounds surprising given my preference for discussing more controversial things. I am a news junkie and believe one should be keenly aware of the world around them for survival. However, when I watch a movie (which is rare anyway), I don't want to see even more crime and violence. There's something different about reading about something and watching it.

The type of people who bash music might be prone to violence?

This place has a huge membership then.:laugh: