Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

This masterfully written article makes me sick on many levels.

Although I am a witness and survived in a much larger catastrophe in the history of mankind called Chernobyl (lived 60 miles from the epicenter), when the radiation level in the city and on our clothes and hair after the explosion remained unknown, since all existing radiation meters passed their maximum level...
    Despite everything I went through, when I reached the point of this article with this picture, tears came to my eyes:

[​IMG]

Now I understand why Uni made no box set with a new remastering on the Billie's 100th anniversary.

2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

3. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Picked up some pink floyd mini-lps. have to say the packaging on these are great-top notch. They sound great too. very happy with these.
    [​IMG]

4. I’ve always had tremendous appreciation and respect for the effort, energy and enthusiasm you show in sharing of your love of audio, (both gear and physical media) with great specificity in your highly informative reviews on the forum. But after reading your harrowing tale of survival after Chernobyl, your status just grew even larger in my eyes.
    G-d bless you @toilet_doctor

RiRiIII, kronning, jhm and 2 others like this.
  5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

There’s no need.
    The Day the Music Burned - Article

7. Appreciate that and I did see the thread after I linked the article here. I thought to myself there has to be one and there was. It was the OP in this thread who linked the U.K. article that had the NYT link. I’m grateful he posted or I may have missed it altogether. :tiphat:

Musicisthebest likes this.
  8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Totally agree, was going to try and say something like that myself, but I couldn't say it any better than your post.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. Thank you, sir. :tiphat:

Oyster Boy likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

Ill Wind

"Blow, I'll wind, blow away
    Let me rest today
    You're blowin' me no good
    No good"

(Song by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler, 1934)

I do not deserve such words, to be honest. My wife and I just tried to survive and save the child, like all other people.
    The authorities first began to minimize the catastrophe (as they used to do in all countries and at all times): “An accident occurred on the 4th block, the structure of the building was partially destroyed, but the radiation level has now stabilized...

[​IMG]

And they sent people to the obligatory May 1st parade.

[​IMG]

"Proletarians of all countries unite!" - You can read on the building their favorite 1st May slogan.

[​IMG]

No one knew about the radiation on the streets at that time. In fact, the level of radiation depends on the direction of the wind. At first it blew to Kiev, then turned north to Belarus. I remember that the wind was strong, it carried radioactive particles... They had to cancel the parade, but it would be an unprecedented act, meaning that something really awful had happened in Chernobyl. More than anything, they feared panic.

But they soon realized what the scale of the tragedy was and published recommendations: to be at home whenever possible, to keep the windows closed and clean everything from radioactive dust; Drink red wine, it removes radiation.

Yes, they were afraid of panic. But there was no panic. People came to work (no one, of course, worked), they discussed events and measured the level of radiation, which was useless, as I said: the arrows of the meters stuck after passing through the maximum level).

The authorities evacuated Chernobyl and the 30-kilometer zone around it (about 14,ooo people). But they could not evacuate almost 3 million city. They said: take 30 days of paid vacation, take the children and go where you can.
    First, my wife left for 30 days, then me. These 60 days were the most critical. The streets were constantly washed, and the houses and public transport (buses, trolley-buses and trams) were washed down from radioactive dust.

However, radiation continued to flow from the breathing reactor, penetrating the soil with rain. From soil to plants and animals; from them to us with food. Food... they could supply clean food, and in some way they did it, but who could tell which food was clean.

How many people died from the Chernobyl disaster?
    "An explosion occurred on 26 April 1986 during a safety test that was simulating a power outage. The fire inside reactor four wasn’t extinguished until 10 May.
    It’s difficult to give an exact figure of how many people died from the accident, as there are still people today who are suffering the effects of the radiation. There were two workers who died immediately after the blast, as they were right near the nuclear plant when the explosion occurred. Then another 29 are recorded as dying during the next few days and months, which was made up of other workers at the plant and people who first responded to the explosion.
    It is believed that several thousands of people could have their deaths attributed to the accident. In 1986, the United Nations had estimated a death-toll of around 4,000 people, although this was not an official figure. Since then various experts and scientists have said that they feel this estimate is too low, and that many more lives have been affected by the explosion
    ." (metro.co.uk)

Many people died from cancer developed/initiated by radiation... Who counted them?

What does the word "Chernobyl" mean?
    There are 3 versions here:
    The Russian word Chernobyl translates into this English word found in the Bible'...

But I would say: it literally means Black Reality, "Cherno" - Black, and "Byl" - Reality. This means that something dark, bad has happened here, the word “Byl” emphasizes that this is not a fairy tale or myth, but a real and true event that happened here hundreds of years ago.
    Maybe you should not build a nuclear power plant in a place called Chernobyl.

Those who saved us.
    The real heroes were the first responders and firefighters - they all died from direct radiation.
    Later, 5 volunteers went to their deaths without fear in order to save the city from the second explosion. The hot reactor slowly descended closer and closer to the water beneath it. This water had to be drained, otherwise there would have been an explosion again.
    And they did it, worked in heavy suits under radioactive water in the dark (I don’t remember exactly, but something happened to the lamp) and opened the drain plugs. They saved tens of thousands of people; they themselves died, and no one even knew about all this until they published an article in the newspaper many years later.

[​IMG]

Photos From the 1986 Chernobyl Disaster

Eternal memory to all of them...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    bherbert, kronning, Plan9 and 10 others like this.
  11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

No reply could do justice to your words and that information, other than to say you are a remarkable person.

12. The hell you don’t. . . You deserve such words and much more!

Mike McMann and Oyster Boy like this.
  13. beelzebomb

beelzebomb Well-Known Member

Do we know if there is any criteria for what gets released as a mini LP? I’m interested in the more indie side of things in the main, but it seems so erratic. The Smiths have been given the mini LP treatment to good effect (at least twice), as has Echo & the Bunnymen, Wire and Throbbing Gristle. Cabaret Voltaire has only a couple of their catalogue available as mini LPs. Yet, as we celebrate 40 years since Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures, the band, along with The Psychedelic Furs, have been remastered yet seem to have been missed completely. UP originally came in a textured sleeve & would make a great addition - just like the Bunnymen’s textured Heaven Up Here album. Meanwhile, other artists get released and reissued seemingly on a conveyor belt.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  14. toilet_doctor

I think the Japanese have started a Mini LP since 1996.
    For many years, Japan Mini LP enthusiasts have hosted a website which they call the Home of Japanese Mini LP Paper Sleeve Vinyl Replica CDs on the net. They were able to collect there information about 4000 titles with 27000 images. This site also has a forum.
    Please check them out:
    Japanese Paper Sleeve Mini Vinyl LP Replica CD - Home

Oyster Boy and PhantomStranger like this.
  15. toilet_doctor

One album that I have to point to. This was released by Belle last month. They consider it as a prog, but progarchives did not include it. Why?

May 25, 2019

Deep Feeling S/T
    (SHM-CD)

Deep Feeling [SHM-CD] / Deep Feeling
    "Mainly Hammond organ, Harpsichord, classical progressive sound with keyboards such as piano, and catchy song together, only one full of charm unique to early UK progressive rock leading to Cressida and Still Life etc. Deep Feeling released the film in 1971. A paper jacket reproduced faithfully to the texture of the paper, the definitive content of the latest remaster!
    Added bonus track - 13 songs." [$30.41]

[​IMG]

With these 13 more songs, the album was released in Europe as an Anthology CD.

Review

Deep Feeling The Complete Anthology CD Released 18 May 2018
    The complete recorded works of the Harmony Pop/Prog Rock band Deep Feeling, including their sole album and single sides…Ian Canty wonders how a band could combine two seemingly disparate styles into a pleasing whole….

"Guy Darrell was a very talented singer and recorded extensively in the 1960s, mainly in a Soul vein. As the new decade arrived his latest outfit, the Guy Darrell Syndicate, changed both their name and their modus operandi. Darrell reverted to his real name John Swail and the band was remodelled in a more “progressive” style and renamed Deep Feeling. Guitarist Martin Jenner, Dave Green on bass, drummer Dave Clare and Derek Elson on keys made up the rest of the band. For the first two this change meant they could finally have a chance to flex their considerable songwriting muscles. To make the break with the past complete, no reference was made to Darrell’s past career in any of the Deep Feeling publicity material.

The first recording that emerged on the Page One label in 1971 showed the strengths of the newly retitled act. The single’s top side was a cover of the old Contours/Berry Gordy number Do You Love Me? and this record and subsequent singles would have more in common with the kind of symphonic, beautifully sung Pop Music the Bee Gees had perfected during the latter half of the 60s, than anything much to do with the Prog Rock explosion. There is a lovely warmth to this, they tease out feeling from the song and accompany the great vocals appropriately. There’s not much of the instrumental grandstanding that you might have expected, but this offering is all the better for the treatment applied. The band nudged at the lower end of the UK charts, though it was a shame such a pristine Pop nugget did not go higher." -- Ian Canty

A shortened version of Country Heir, a piece of self-explanatory Country Rock, was extracted from the LP as a single, with the slowie We’ve Thrown It All Away on the b-side. Meeting with little in the way of success, it would be almost a full year before Deep Feeling were heard from again. Switching labels to Phillips, they reappeared with the Sunday Morning Leaving single in October 1972. This one was another strong offering, a fluid guitar line and again some traces of Country in the outro. Though again appealing, it disappeared without trace and the band busied themselves recording under a variety of aliases (including the National Shinguard Company!)

Meanwhile, Darrell/Swail’s 1966 recording of I’ve Been Hurt was starting to played to wild reaction on the Northern Soul scene, resulting the record being re-released. It made number 12 in the charts and he and the band ending up appearing on Top Of The Pops in 1973. Boosted by this success, Darrell resumed his solo status, which effectively ended the career of Deep Feeling. As a postscript there was a final single by the band, a cover of the Stones’ Lets Spend The Night Together, treated in much the same, slowed down way as the debut single. It was another sparky bit of Pop but didn’t make any headway. The flipside Avalon was dramatic treat though and showed that the band could always pen a decent tune themselves – a great Jenner/Green original.

The vocal abilities of Deep Feeling set them apart from the great-coated Prog hordes and they were dab hands in the art of constructing stately Pop music pieces. In reality, they weren’t a Progressive band in the true sense of the word, but they did manage to assemble a concoction that was novel and sometimes quite beautiful. For me the singles are the pick here, but for anyone more Prog minded, the album is a peach. Sadly only Derek Elson is still with us from the band to see their oeuvre finally gain a re-release – hopefully people hearing this for the first time will listen to what Deep Feeling had to offer – a potent and bewitching brew indeed." -- Ian Canty

I disagree, the center-piece of the album is a pure prog song about the French revolution with a classical structure, based on a Hammond organ.

Another great prog song with excellent vocal harmonies:
    Deep Feeling - Welcome For A Soldier 1971

Nice prog rendition of Classical Gas:
    Deep Feeling - 03 - Classical Gas (8:16)

The singer was top notch.
    Deep Feeling - "Lucille"

Another counterpoint: The vocal abilities of Deep Feeling does not set them apart from the great-coated Prog hordes, but just the opposite.
    Some prog groups include short fragments of various musical genres and styles (folk, classical, Middle Eastern music, flamenco guitar, chants and many others, including multi-layered vocal harmonies) in their songs to create a colorful palette and achieve their goal: push the boundaries of the song - the prog is all about). They called it Eclectic Prog sub-genre. Of course, not all groups are simply capable of this, but such groups as Spock's Beard, Echolyn, Gentle Giant, did it very well.

"Honestly I prefer jazz to prog...but how people dislike this... I don't get it...i need captain to lead my way in prog...want to learn it..."
    "The harmonies in The Healing Colors of Sound pt. 2 are absolutely beautiful. Showed it to a friend who doesn't even really listen to prog and now he's hooked on them."
    (comments)
    Watch from 2:45 it culminates in acapella.
    Spock's Beard-12-The Healing Colors Of Sound (Part 2)

Day for Night (from 6:00)
    Spock's Beard - Day For Night

The guy was inspired by Spock's Beard song Ghost of Autumn and went multi-layered...
    Rob Sanx - Ghosts of autumn (Spock's Beard cover)

Echolyn members talk about using of vocal harmonies:
    Echolyn - I Heard you Listening - Vocal Melodies and Harmonies

Bonus tracks are pure light phsyche of 60's
    Deep Feelin Do You Love Me

Deep Feeling - Sweat Dust And Red Wine (Bonus Track) 1971

Dok likes this.
  16. toilet_doctor

Finally, King Crimson released the last two albums from the 40th Anniversary series, which they called the Final Chapter 1 and 2. Each "final chapter" contains new mixes and 2 covers (4 gate-fold covers in total), 3 of them with stunning Artworks by artist P. J. Crook. Both "final chapters comes with bonus materials: the complete ProjeKct X album "Heaven & Earth" (Chapter 1) and 2 EPs "Level 5" and "Happy With What You Have Be Happy With" (Chapter 2).

Aug. 21, 2019

(DVD-A + HQCD)
    King Crimson The Reconstrukction Of Light (40th Anniversary Ed.)
    King Crimson The Power to Believe (40th Anniversary Ed.)

"This Japan edition exclusively features the high-fidelity HQCD format and the original cardboard sleeves. This King Crimson "The ReconstruKction of Light" consists of two discs: a CD featuring HQCD format (Japan only) and 2019 remaster & a DVD-Audio disc - hi-res format. The DVD-A features the album in 2019 mixes (stereo and 5.1ch surround). Also it features the album in the following formats: MLP LOSSLESS 5.1 surround (24/48), DTS 5.1 digital surround (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48). The original albums tracks (stereo master) are included in the following formats: MLP LOSSLESS stereo (24/48) and LPCM stereo (24/48). As a bonus feature, the complete ProjeKct X album "Heaven & Earth" is included in LPCM stereo format (24/48). Double cardboard sleeve packaging: "The ReconstruKction of Light" and "The ConstruKction Of Light" (both gatefold)." [$42.92]

(translation)
    The Reconstruktion of a Light (40th Anniversary ver.) [DVD Audio + HQCD] / King Crimson
    "[The 40th Anniversary series Final Chapter 1] A DVD audio with a 2019 new master CD and 5.1ch surround sound according to the 40th anniversary series, and a high-spec audio 2019 stereo sound source Two-disc set. The project announced in 2000, which revived as a double duo after project activities from 1997 to 1999. Since the software used at the time of recording in the digital recording transition period did not match the current PC standard and the drum part was missing, the revised master with the new drum part re-recorded by the drum and massellot Both CD and DVD-A are main. At the time of the original recording, it is also said that the curse of Mastelot, who had a strong complaint with the drum sound, gave birth to this problem. After 19 years of time, for some new recording sound source that became a master of consent, the title was also changed to "the reconstruction of light". The main artwork has also been changed to use the PJ Crook illustrations, which was also used in the previously released Heaven & Earth box. CD: Japanese version only HQCD specification. The drum parts are replaced with new recordings by Pat Mastelotto, and Don Gun, who was in charge of the mix of "Live in Mexico", and was well received by Adrian Brew's rock-oriented songs and "Fractured" This is a highlight of this Crimson-like song such as “The Sun and the Battle of the Dead Part 4” and the highlight of this album, and the title song boasting a complex construction beauty that is said to be the most difficult to play of all the Crimson songs has been greatly brushed up, revived with master DVD-A: 2019 mix as a main part in stereo and 5.1ch surround! MLP LOSSLESS 5.1 surround (24/48), DTS 5.1 digital surround (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48) ) format is prepared. Of course the original "The ConstruKtion of Light" stereo master is also included. Recorded in MLP LOSSLESS stereo (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48) format. Also, as a bonus material, all songs in the LPCM stereo (24/48) format were recorded on the album "Heaven & Earth" of the related work ProjeKct X, which was announced as the back version of "The ConstruKtion of Light" at the time. Double paper jacket specification: Japan's 40th Anniversary series annual double paper jacket, this time with new artwork The PJ Crook illustration 'The ReconstruKtion of Light' spread cover and the original 'The ConstruKtion of Light' double-spread jacket specifications. Both E-type format."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Review

"A Revealation
    A lot of fans of King Crimson argue that TCOL is among their weakest efforts and yet its songs are amazing. I heard King Crimson last year on tour and the material from TCOL was exceptional coming from that new band. One of the problems with TCOL in its original mix is the electronic drums. Perhaps that is why I prefer other recordings by this four piece version of King Crimson -- The Power to Believe, Electrik, Level Five -- to TCOL. In fact I find the version of the title track on the Level Five EP to be far superior to the original studio version. This new mix with Pat Mastelotto replacing his electronic kit with a largely acoustic one finally reveals just what a powerful album TCOL might have been. The new mix truly does justice to the quality of composition. The more I listen to it the more it opens up. It has sent me back to re-listen more carefully to this version of KC. Perhaps, as some have argued it is not as great a record as THRAK but it is thoroughly remarkable. If you are a fan of King Crimson in the post-THRAK period this is a must have recording.
    " (June 21, 2019)

UT Review

Live in Japan 2003
    The ConstruKction of Light - Live in Japan 2003

The Power to Believe is one of my favorite Crimson's album.

"This Japan edition exclusively features the high-fidelity HQCD format and the original cardboard sleeves. This King Crimson "The Power To Believe" consists of two discs: a CD featuring HQCD format (Japan only) and 2019 remaster & a DVD-Audio disc featuring hi-res formats and more detailed below. The DVD-A features the album in 2019 mixes (stereo and 5.1ch surround). Also it features the album in the following formats: MLP LOSSLESS 5.1 surround (24/48), DTS 5.1 digital surround (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48). The original albums tracks (stereo master) are included in the following formats: MLP LOSSLESS stereo (24/48) and LPCM stereo (24/48). As a bonus feature, the mini-album "Happy With What You Have to be Happy With" is included in LPCM stereo format (24/48). Double cardboard sleeve packaging: "The Power To Believe" and "Happy With What You Have to be Happy With." [$42.92]

(translation)
    The Power to Believe (40th Anniversary ver.) [DVD Audio + HQCD] / King Crimson
    "[The 40th Anniversary series Final Chapter 2] A DVD Audio that contains a 2019 new master CD and 5.1ch surround sound according to the 40th Anniversary series and a high-spec audio 2019 stereo sound source Two-disc set. The work since the Nouvo Metal Declaration, announced in 2003, with a heavier sound than the previous work "The ConstruKtion of Light". At the time of original release, against the rampant of illegal live sound source disclosure to be raised on the Internet, album recording songs were released in advance in EPs such as “Level 5” and “Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With”. Because of it, the impact as a new studio album has been lost, but it is a masterpiece that boasts the strongest contents in the works after '90. Listen to the "Sun and the Battle Part 5" "Level 5" that boasts a degree of perfection comparable to "The Sun and Battle Part 1 & 2", "Dangerous Curve" in the 21st Century "Devil's Triangle", and unusual "Elektric" with three core instruments with great value, the impact-rich vocals such as "Happy with ~" and "Facts of Life" with Nouvo Metal on the front are impressive! CD: 2019 Remaster. Only Japanese version HQCD specification. In addition, it is inevitable to give the listener an impression different from the original, with the feeling of weight and distinctiveness as if the edge stood up and the whole boost. As a bonus track, add 3 songs from the project era: "Sustains I", "Sustains II" and "Super Slow"! DVD-A: 2019 remastered as a main part in stereo and 5.1ch surround! MLP LOSSLESS 5.1 surround (24/48), DTS 5.1 digital surround (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48) formats are available. Also includes 3 songs of CD version bonus track. Of course the original "The Power to Believe" stereo master is also included. Recorded in MLP LOSSLESS stereo (24/48), LPCM stereo (24/48) format. It includes "Level 5" and "Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With" announced as the lead EP of this work as bonus material in LPCM stereo (24/48) format. Double paper jacket specification: Japan edition 40th Anniversary series annual double paper jacket, in addition to "The Power to Believe" original E-type paper jacket of PJ Crook illustration, overseas version "Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With" reproduce the "To Be Happy With" jacket."

Review
    "No doubt the best post-Red Crimson album. For now anyway. Who knows what the current 3 drummer beast has in store for the future. Discipline is great, classic, but this is just a whole other level, folks. I loved it the first time I heard it. It delivers the promise of all the Thrak and onward versions of KC. Thrak was kind of... dumb. It's okay I suppose. What they started trying to do there is finally realized here. TCoL was pretty weak, mostly due to poor lyrics and even poorer production choices (a rarity for KC). TCoL sounds aseptic - harsh digital, sanitized... I don't know how to describe it. It really rubs me the wrong way. It's kind of a disaster in my opinion. All of that changes with Power to Believe though. This album is much more organic than TCoL. Much more open, many more acoustic drums in and amongst the ever-present e-drums. Or if what I'm mistaking for acoustic is actually digital, the tech finally caught up with the ear. Or maybe my ear finally is worn the hell out haha. Anyway...

It's kind of silly for me to try to describe this music. Equal parts beautiful, virtuosic, and brutal. There are still lingering oversteps by Pat and some of the e-drum sonic choices, but these are minor disturbances for me. Many classics on this one - Level 5 (basically Larks part 5), Eyes Wide Open, Elektrik (the way this song builds is just incredible), Facts of Life (here and there you get KC cutting loose on pure funky riff rock - albeit short lived of course!), Dangerous Curves (I'll never forget seeing them play this live a few years before this came out on the Level Five tour - chills). It goes on and on. Jus a fantastic album.

Make no mistake though, this is some pretty dense stuff. Not for your average listener. Probably not even for your average KC listener. This ain't In the Court, it ain't Discipline, it ain't Larks. It's like the sonic evolution of Red + Discipline, all dialed up to 11. Maybe wait for some time when the wife / girlfriend / kids are away, put it on a good system, and really crank it up. Monumental, and highly recommended
    ."
    (Johnny Ribcage, 2017)

The Power To Believe previous 2009 HQCD release:

[​IMG]

The EP 'Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With' was release by Universal in 2003 under the name Shoganai with a big front sticker instead of OBI and a stunning cover from a painting of P. J. Crook:

[​IMG]

The world jewel case release had a different cover:

[​IMG]

Although the back cover was the same as that of Shoganai, which makes no sense, because Shoganai is a single piece of art. I would like them to use the Shoganai cover, but I'm not sure.

17. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

All P.J. Crook's covers are pieces of Art on their own.

Oyster Boy, PhantomStranger and Dok like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Belle's new releases:

July 25, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    CMU Space Cabaret
    Shadowfax Watercourse Way
    (2 SHM-CD)
    Shadowfax Live at The Wise Folls Pub 1978 (2 SHM-CD)
    SFF Symphonic Pictures (SHM-CD + DVD)

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from CMU features the latest remastering and SHM-CD format. Comes with a description and two bonus tracks."

(translation)
    Space Cabaret [SHM-CD] / CMU
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] CMU, who specializes in psychedelic jazz rock, has two albums, the second of which was announced in '73. Featuring vocals from the previous album, their masterpiece has been enhanced by the canterbury color! The four-part set, the wildly wild sound of the wildly rampaging rage. Member Roger Oddell later formed the fusion band "SHAKATAK". Paper jacket, SHM-CD, the definitive edition of the latest remaster! Includes 2 bonus tracks."

CMU

"Founded in Cambridge, UK in 1971 - Disbanded in 1973
    CMU, also known as CONTEMPORARY MUSIC UNIT were an UK band active in the early 1970's. They were fusing various aspects of art-rock, jazz-rock and folk with a nod to the psychedelic rock.

A unique (at the time) characteristic of the band was a combination of female and male vocals, making an interesting blend. The male vocalist was James Gordon (who was also participating with percussion in the band),the female vocalist being Larraine Odell (later of RED EXPRESS, still active in various jazz projects nowadays). Other members were keyboardist Terry Mortimer (who also played some violin), Ian Hamlett (guitar, flute), Ed Lee (bass) and Larraine's husband Roger Odell (on drums).

The band released their debut 'Open Spaces' for Transatlantic in 1971. The record is an unpretentious mixture of psychedelia and blues, with some bizarre sonic patches here and there.

They changed their line-up drastically for the following album: instead of Mortimer, Gordon and Lee, the band hired Richard Joseph on acoustic guitar (and vocals), Steve Cook on bass and Leary Hasson on keyboards (Hasson came from MARSUPILAMI, which was also on Transatlantic label).

Reinforced with new members, and a moderate shift in their sound (the presence of Mellotron and spacey synthesizers), the band released their second (and last) album titled 'Space Cabaret' in 1973. This effort was much more elaborate, complex and original.

By the 1975, the band was no more. Both Transatlantic vinyl were re-released on CD's.

CMU are often compared to Arthur Brown and AFFINITY; but fans of CURVED AIR might also enjoy the music of CMU. Both albums are worth checking, especially the second.
    " -- Moris Mateljan, 2010.

Review
    "CMU was a short-lived British group that managed two albums, Open Spaces in 1971 and this one, Space Cabaret in 1973, both released on the Transatlantic label, along with Marsupilami and Jan Dukes de Grey, the rarest albums on that label. On this album, the band had a lineup change, wiht Larraine Odell, Roger Odell, and Ian Hamlett from the old lineup with keyboardist Leary Hasson (ex-Marsupilami) and vocalist/guitarist Richard Joseph. In the 1980s Richard Joseph made a name for himself by scoring music for British made computer games for the Commodore 64 and Amiga. Roger Odell was later a member of Shakatak.
    Of the two albums they made, Space Cabaret is considered the better of the two, although Open Spaces is still very good (it reminds me of Affinity had they stuck to all originals, but without organ). Here they take on a psychedelic folk and prog rock direction, and Leary Hasson makes his presence felt with Hammond organ, ARP synthesizers and even a little Mellotron. Richard Joseph also really has his presence felt too. "A Distant Light, A Point of Light" clearly shows a psychedelic folk direction, has a rather '60s feel despite the album being recorded late in 1972. "Song from the 4th Era" is a short psychedelic number, but more rock leaning, while the title track has a more soft rock feel going on, complete with electric piano. "Doctor, Am I Normal" has a more folk/jazz thing going on, while the last two (the lengthiest ones) "Dream" and "Lightshine" are more adventurous, the former has some nice funky passages, as well as some rather ominous lyrics. "Lightshine" is the most all-out prog piece on this album has a bit of a Canterbury feel to it
    This is truly an album well worth having." -- Benjamin Miller, 2016
    "I used to have this back in '73. It's an interesting album; the musicianship is very good but, at the time, there were quite a few excellent bands that occupied this part of the music scene. Nice to hear it again though, as I no longer have the original vinyl". (comment)

A Distant Light, A Point of Light

Dream
    C M U dream -1973 -
    Lightshine
    CMU - Lightshine (Space Cabaret, 1973)
    Doctor, Am I Normal?
    CMU - Doctor, Am I Normal? (Space Cabaret)

In 2008, Esoteric made a new remaster. They said: "This unique masterpiece is a much sought after collectors item originally released on the Transatlantic label. CMU (Contemporary Music Unit) were a unique fusion of Progressive Rock, Jazz and Folk influences. Following on from their debut Open Spaces, CMU changed line-ups and recruited Leary Hasson on Mellotron from label mates Marsupilami. Space Cabaret was CMU's masterwork which was fully in keeping with the mood of the times. In Larraine Odell, CMU had one of the few female vocalists of the Progressive era, a fine vocalist supported by a fine band."

I missed the Esoteric release, which is completely gone and costs over $40 in used condition.
    I don't know whether it will be a new remaster or an Esoteric one, but I'd say: Progarchives have defined this band as the Eclectic Prog, which is already a rock with a twist. But the presence of the female singer adds to this even more.
    I love Affinity, Curved Air and I ador Renaissance... Cannot wait to add this album to my collection.

Dok likes this.
  19. toilet_doctor

Shadowfax Watercourse Way

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Shadowfax features the latest remastering and SHM-CD format. Includes two bonus tracks. Comes with lyrics and a description."

(translation)
    Watercourse Way (Double CD Edition) [SHM-CD] / Shadowfax
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket series] A Shadowfax that came from the magic horse Gandalf's beloved horse in Tolkien's ring tale. Shadowfax (United States) was formed in Chicago in '72 and announced this debut in '76. A historical masterpiece of technical jazz rock comparable to the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Brand X, this debut is a colorful and thrilling album with the addition of symphonic colors. This time, the remix version (very different impression) released from Windham Hill in '85 is added as a Disc 2, and the definitive edition with two additional bonus songs. Paper jacket, SHM-CD. Latest remaster. Original version is the first CD! With lyrics and commentary." [$38.84]

Reviews

"For my very first album review on Progarchives, I've decided on one of the better albums I've heard that seems to be less well-know and perhaps doesn't get quite the attention it deserves. In fact, I'm a little surprised; it's really, really good, one of the better jazz-rock/symphonic albums that I have heard to date. True, Shadowfax is classified as "crossover", and considering their later career, I suppose they are. But Watercourse Way is much heavier, and to my ears, sounds more passionate than at least some of their later albums (four of which I have heard as of writing this review). Shadowfax went much lighter, more like New Age music after this album. Perhaps thats why Watercourse Way does not get as much attention. I wouldn't say the band's path was necessarily a mistake , as I don't know the details of their history and can't judge. However, after hearing Watercourse Way, I can't help but wonder if they could have become one of the more preeminent prog acts had they chosen to continue with a similar sound, rather than moving into new age territory.

In any case, Watercourse Way is worth a listen for anyone who really likes jazz/rock, symphonic, and/or eclectic prog. It just sounds so progressive, with all the elements: multiple instruments, (including ethnic ones like the sitar), shifting time signatures, a mix of harder and softer tunes, and complex arrangements, which are, IMO, very good ones, on par with many of the best prog bands of the 70's. As it is, I suppose the album could be classified as a "hidden gem". A solid 4.2 stars."
    (progarchives)

"The music herein is more like a blend of mid period KING CRIMSON, MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA, OREGON JAN AKKERMAN, JADE WARRIOR and CAMEL. The first two tracks lean more to the former including the only one with vocals "Linear Dance" which I actually think is one of the better contributions here. The gentler side of the group is in the medieval sounding and titled "Petite Aubade" and the acoustically oriented title cut. In between all of these lies the monster closer "Song for my Brother", an ANDY LATIMER styled instrumental ballad that shuttles from ambient mood setting to riveting lead solo.

Unlike the MIKE OLDFIELDs and TANGERINE DREAMs of the prog world SHADOWFAX never got much chance to establish itself as a prog force before crossing over into new age."
    (progarchives)

Shape of a World

Liner Dance Medium
    Watercourse Way 02 Linear Dance Medium

Title track
    Watercourse Way 05 Watercourse Way

The album was released on CD only ones, 29 years ago, long gone and runs for $100 in like new condition (16-bit, jewel case). However, this is not a point. It's about music that is fire and ice and goes beyond jazz rock. I have not paid attention to this group so far, and I was surprised.
    Leaning toward to buy it...

Original 1976 LP cover:

[​IMG]

1985 LP reissue cover used for CD release:

[​IMG]

P.S.

"Shadowfax is a great band with wonderful music - unfortunately totally unknown to most of the people... I listen to them since maybe 20 years and like it a lot to finally see them play live here" (comment)
    Live 1995
    Shadowfax - 10 - Shadowdance (Live 1995)

Dok likes this.
  20. toilet_doctor

Live at The Wise Fools Pub 1978 (Double CD Edition) [SHM-CD] / Shadowfax
    "Shadowfax (United States) was formed in Chicago in '72 and announced its debut in '76. This work is a live album containing the performances of the heyday that was performed in Chicago on April 25, '78 in two pieces. Listen to the spectacular performances of the incandescence playing, with a set list that almost never duplicates the classic "Water Course Way"! Paper jacket, SHM-CD, the first official release in the latest remaster!" [$38.84]

Disc 1
    1.1 Art Force 10:05
    1.2 New Electric India 13:591.3 Improvisation 25:09
    1.4 Cubic Space Division 7:18
    1.5 Rainbow at the Edge of Time 15:06
    1.6 Watercourse Way 6:19

Disc 2
    2.1 Tibet > Karmapa > Chenno 13:52
    2.2 The Shape of the Word 13:08
    2.3 Anthem to an Interstellar Cloud 21:30
    2.4 Brown Rice 12:35
    2.5 Lord Buddha's Hammer 11:11
    2.6 Head on Fire 5:44

Total length: 155:56

[​IMG]

This live performance was released only as a bootleg unofficial thing. I found one comment online:
    "This is certainly a side of Shadowfax that one couldn't possibly imagine unless you went to their 70's shows or listen to this album. Lots of free form improvising happening here that their studio releases just never give you the idea their capable of. A refreshing insight to this early incarnation of the band that any fan of the electric driven aspects of Watercourse Way should look into."

Of course, I could not imagine such a tour de force concert (available on YouTube) and prefer this later a great version:
    New Electric India (Live 1986)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  21. toilet_doctor

SFF Symphonic Pictures

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from SFF features 2010 remastering and SHM-CD format. Comes with a description. Includes demo tracks. Disc 2 features their concert(s) in 1975."

(translation)
    Symphonic Pictures [SHM-CD + DVD] / SFF
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket series] German technical sympho trio, SFF. An unusual trio of Schicke Führs Fröhling that played a very intricately arranged symphonic music, a masterpiece that was structured and arranged finely. The intellectual and ingenious strange beat sound that leads to the ISLAND release, also includes and bonus tracks of the demo tracks at that time. Recorded the '75 year's live on Disc 2, The definitive edition of the paper jacket, remastered in 2010, high-quality SHM-CD (disc 1 only). Work which was difficult to obtain for a long time is finally encore press decision! With commentary."

It looks like the Esoteric 2010 remaster to me and may include the Esoteric booklet:

[​IMG]

Please note:
    Although cdjapan says SHM-CD + DVD, I'm not sure as Belle says SHM-CD + CD on its Japanese site.

Here is a review on the sound of the Esoteric release:

"Two Mellotrons and a Minimoog (need I say more)
    If the title of the review gets you excited this album is for you. SFF is hard to describe: they mix classical, rock, and jazz and create their own dramatic and atmospheric sound. There's drums combined with the previously mentioned keyboards and some occasional bass and guitar. The music isn't structured like rock songs, so if you want straight ahead rock music this might not be your thing. The main studio disc has great sound courtesy of Krautrock engineer supreme Dieter Dirks. The version that I bought from Esoteric Reactive is from 2010 and has a second disc with a live set from 1975 that's from a mixing board recording. The sound is that of a high quality bootleg, but it's kind of flat sounding. The performances are great and on the track Pictures they really stretch out for 27 minutes. It's amazing what three musicians can do live, because it sounds like the studio versions (on the three songs from Symphonic Pictures). The packaging is nice with an informative booklet with photos
    ."
    (July 28, 2010)

2 Progarchive's Reviews

"Due to the 42% (5 stars) added to the 38% (4 stars), I believe that it doesn't remain to smallest doubt than this first work of the German trio SCHICKE FUHRS & FROHLING "Symphonic Pictures" is an album that deserves figure in any progressive music collection . Particularly I consider one of the best works of symphonic prog originating from Bach's and Beethoven's land .. Their influences are several and they are not limited to the German prog scenery, because in spite of they be clear similarities with NOVALIS and TANGERINE DREAM, they are present also another of the English prog, as for instance PINK FLOYD, GREENSLADE and etc... The track 1 "Tao" begins with a superb climate created by the orchestration of the mellotron as "background" for a of rare beauty musical piece that opens with a vigorous melody of electric guitar with sustained notes in a perfect harmony with the keyboards where stands out the acoustic piano, a theme that is just interrupted by other beautiful theme in the piano in that the guitar is absent and with the participation of the marimba in the percussion , then the theme returns the previous predominance and it finishes with a martial drums climate , that closes the track in an impeccable way! The track 2 is a meditative theme, almost new ager where the simplest to be outstanding is the delicate percussion for the glockenspiel. The track 3 "Solution" soon in the beginning reminded me GRENNSLADE, however this is brief moment and soon after it is substituted by a "tense" theme that it evokes KING CRNMSOM and GENTLE GIANT!!! The track 4 "Sundrops" is a theme practically in TANGERINE DREAM 's style. And the track 5 "Pictures" with opening with mellotron simulating a choir, with the orchestral percussion "makes way" for a theme in the style E,L & PALMER meets GG an exceptional work of keyboards, that closes the disk with other superb climate, however, "more energetic" and less bucolic than the one of the first track.
    My rate is 5 stars!
    "

However, there is another opinion:

"2* It´s interesting of how many obscure symphonic prog bands there were in the 70´s. Sometimes you just can´t figure out why they remained little known (when they do release one or more very good albums). sometimes it´s easy to understand their actual position in the prog world (when what they produced is not that great). This German trio sits somewhere too near to the second option : their first album was out in 1976 and while it has some good moments, it is far from being essential or even excellent. Nothing wrong with their musicianship: it´s clear that they are skillful instrumentalists. But unfortunately they were not as good at the songwriting department.

SFF can´t seem to make up their minds on what they are aiming at: Symphonic prog? Avant guard? Jazz rock? Electronic? Space rock? You´ll find elements of all those in here, albeit in a ragged and incoherent way. They can´t come up with a sound of their own and the songs just go on pointlessly. The opener Tao is a good exemple of a good idea that was not well developed: fine guitar riff, good drumming, excellent keys on the first few bars, reminding me of early Camel. Then it never reaches a climax or a convincing progression. And that plagues the whole album. Even the 16 minute suite Pictures can´t be saved. it reminds me a bit of King Crimson, but unlike Crimson they never get anywhere and the epic ends as it started: a bunch of notes put together, some good, some bad, nothing holding any kind of concept or integrated ideas. Some years before I guess their sound would be considered a novelty of kinds or something like that, but by 1976 it was quite a late comer even in that field.

Considering the high ratings I saw here on PA, I was expecting a lot more. This is definitely for hardcore fans of the style.
    My advice is: listen carefully before buy it
    ."

SFF - Dialog

SFF - Sundrops
    Title track
    Schicke, Führs & Fröhling ► Pictures [HQ Audio] Symphonic Pictures, 1976

Maybe the truth (as in most cases) is in the middle - 3.5*

22. The Jensen remaster is horrible.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  23. A Collection of Antiques and Curios is missing a bonus track on the 1998 remaster- "Forever" Perhaps they weren't able to find the tape.

24. toilet_doctor

Victor, Japan announced a new Status Quo album in Mini LP SHM-CD.

Sep. 25, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Status Quo Backbone

"Status Quo brings the 33th album. This Japan edition features SHM-CD format and cardboard sleeve packaging. Five live bonus tracks."

(translation)
    Backbone (provisional) [SHM-CD] / Status Quo
    "More than 50 years of career, the 33rd studio album of the British rock band "Status Quo". The Japanese edition is the first in 16 years since "Heavy Traffic" in 2003, and the pure original full album is the first in eight years since "Quid Pro Quo" in 2011. It is finished in the work that you can enjoy the sound that can be said to be unchangeable Boogie's line of silver. The Japanese edition is a paper jacket, SHM-CD specification. Obi also reproduces the atmosphere of the 70's.
    Bonus Track: Includes 5 live soundtracks representing the band."

[​IMG]

"With more than 118 million records sold, countless gold awards received and several top 10 singles all around the world, there really is no need to introduce this band. With all that success Status Quo have always remained a very down to earth and sympathetic band. After more than half a century of existence, they are still the convincing live band they have always been known for and rock like they have never done before. 'Backbone' is the group's 33rd studio album, featuring songs drawn from the classic partnership of Rossi/Young as well as contributions from the rest of the band."

Now
    Status Quo "In The Army Now" (Live at Wacken 2017) - from "Down Down & Dirty At Wacken"

and then:
    in the army now - status quo (live)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

looks like the david gilmour series is now pushed back once again until october. hope it still goes through, this is the third time the series has been pushed back. Still hoping the elton john series is still happening in August. no news is good news I guess on that.