Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. StillTripping6769

StillTripping6769 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Okay, so this I don't really get. Obviously I'm glad that younger generations are seeking out great music from the past and have favorites, etc, etc, and this is just another great example of the Beatles' timeless appeal, too. But . . . I recently read that "Here Comes the Sun" is the Beatles "most streamed" and most popular song with millenials. And . . . I gotta ask . . . why?!? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice tune and adds great texture to side two of Abbey Road (perfect sequencing leading off the side). The Beatles were amazing at making the sum greater than its parts like that. On it's own, as a standalone song? Ehh. . . . Again, it's nice. Great melody. But it's never been considered anything more than a B-level Beatles tune. Nice, but not earth-shattering. I mean, if these kids knew anything, "Hey Jude" would be the most streamed. Don't they know it was their biggest single and defining moment? There just seems to be a lack of historical awareness here which is annoying.

2. whoman4says

whoman4says Forum Resident

I imagine it's quite refreshing for them to be able to like The Beatles without being shackled to 'The Myth'

3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It has always been my favorite Beatles song of all-time. For me, it sums up everything that I love about the group (melody and ambience wise).

In fact, it was the one Beatles song I loved well before I ever got into their material at large. While many other songs are now up there as personal favorites, Here Comes The Sun remains the one. :)

4. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Look at all the loathing people...

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

From what I understand, it's the panned vocals that make the millennials love it!
    :--)

6. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Lots to like about HCTS. My 14 year old daughter plays it on ukulele.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I THINK you meant to say,
    "If these kids knew anything, "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" would be the most streamed!!"
    :p

8. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

A new and refreshing way to be dumbfounded by an SHF Beatles' fan. Still, some comfortingly predictable elements...
    Questionable premise.
    Generational hubris.

9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Sez who? You? It’s outstanding.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

In the age of 9/11, never-ending wars, talk of us only having 12 more years left as a species, certain calamity for our universe, and massive student debt, these young people need some cheerful hope. And the sound quality is great.

11. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Was there some sort of Kardashians or Glee connection?

12. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I can confirm this. Nothing to be annoyed about, it's the song that most appeals to millennials because it talks about something that unites all generations — the joy of the sun.

You'll be much more annoyed when you find that the new generations know (and appreciate) much more and many more Queen songs than Beatles songs.

13. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

funny, one of my least favorite beatles songs. probably cause of over-hearing it.
    but then doubtful many millenial's would have been digging down or have access to "ask me why"
    but whatever the gateway drug, welcome to the magic kingdom.

No Bull, goodiesguy, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Source?

Davmoco, blueslover99 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  15. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Any potential remix will see to that ancient recording novelty in a heartbeat, no doubt!! :D

16. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Personally I don't see a problem here. Great song. Now if it was Revolution 9 I might see a slight issue.....

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

People make playlists on Spotify etc, naturally many are themed so Here Comes the Sun pops up in many summer related ones and hence gets played a lot.

18. NunoBento

Not all millennials watch Glee or the Kardashians. This sort of statement is so stereotypical and disconnected with the reality that it's funny.

19. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Why is this a problem?

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Your OP makes lots of good sense and I agree that HCTS, while a very good song (I'd add a "+" to your "B" rating), iis not the greatest thing they ever did or that even George wrote within Beatle context. But Whoman makes a great point as well. Young fans, for the most part, aren't concerned with "Beatle history" or "Beatle historical significance" or which song was their biggest or how it affected 'everyone' when it was first released or any of that. Unlike "us", rather than being bogged down by all the "wonderful" analytical details, they hear the music for what it is and for what it's worth TODAY in *their* time. I guess just as hey Jude hit that "chord" in 1968, HCTS does similarly in the present day. In many ways-while not as great a song-HCTS is actually more timeless than Hey Jude. The latter is much more, concretely a "Beatles song" in terms of it BEING them doing it; I don't feel anyone that's covered Hey Jude , no matter how well, has come close to the sublime record the original is. But it's so categorically "Beatles" while HCTS, musically, is much more universal and can be appreciated by many people who never really cared for Beatle music in particular....hence those large streaming numbers.

21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Here Comes the Sun is not considered B-level Beatles by the vast majority.

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

lol Hey Jude defining moment...

23. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

I'd rather hear this than read the Twitter thread I was looking at earlier claiming The Beatles are overrated. Waded through a bunch of morons going on about why the Beatles are overrated, no good, etc. Unbelievable.

24. NunoBento

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

That's great ! George would approve.

dunce, DK Pete, Michael Bean and 13 others like this.