David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing the link to the podcast. Yeah, I found nothing wrong with the interviewer's questions. It was obvious that the podcast was going to be a bit of a "This Is Your Life, David Crosby"-type affair, because the interview said it. He told Crosby that he was asking questions that the fans who listen to the podcast would find interesting and informative - and would lead to them seeing the documentary. The interview was scheduled for an hour - apparently Crosby knew that - and they were at the 38 minute mark when Crosby split. Yes, the interviewer would've had to move a little faster to cover all the bases including the documentary in the remaining 22 minutes, but all Crosby had to do was sit there and be polite and answer the damn softballs, or as the interviewer put it, the questions he was "teeing up".

The MEZ and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Each of the people there had a job to do, and the interviewer was giving him a perfectly respectable (and respectful) set of questions. And all Captain Crabbypants really had to do was answer the questions.

The idea was to get butts in seats in the theater, not necessarily to cover everything that's in the documentary - he was trying to explain to under 30s (like my friend) why David Crosby matters. I know why he does, most of the people reading this thread and indeed most of the people on this forum probably know why he does, but the people who have never bought a CD probably don't.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I hope so! I like seeing a real documentary, in which the real story is told, and not some historical whitewashed piece of work (see Beatles anthology). And if the artist is also involved and tells it all, that’s great. Yes, I love Croz’s work. Does he have an ego? Yes, but we all do. Some are just bigger than others. David has a big ego, no doubt. But he isn’t afraid to speak his mind. It may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, but you can’t fault him for being honest.

Myke likes this.
  4. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Just listened and it was most definitely........interesting. I have to say half way through I found myself thinking this is moving at a snail's pace even before Crosby asked if they were going to do week to week chronology of his life. As someone who knows his story, of course, I thought it was a very tedious interview and I kind of understand Crosby's frustration - how he handled it, of course, well.......

Lorin and Myke like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Now that I stop to think about it, this podcast will probably be more effective at getting people into the theater than if Crosby had just answered the questions. Half of celebrity culture these days is about the train wreck.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Do you think Stills or Nash would have been as short-tempered?

(No, I'm not going to ask about Young... He's far too unpredictable.)

7. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Stills possibly, Nash no way. Crosby should be a pro at this by now - this surely isn't his first ridiculous interview (from his perspective). No reason to treat him that way, of course - he only had about 20 minutes left:) I agree with you above - this might get more people to watch the documentary!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Nash on Crosby:

Anno and vonwegen like this.
  9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Artists do interviews like this to promote their product. Crosby wants people to see his documentary and hear his 4 most recent albums. I don't blame him for getting tired of the interviewer's redundant questions. Crosby has said his time is getting short...he doesn't want to waste it on this amateur interviewer asking questions 38 minutes in about "Our House".

Myke likes this.
  10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Amateur?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Posing for photos ain't having interview skills. :laugh:

somnar, adm62, JoshM and 7 others like this.
  12. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

So he paid extra and got meet-and-greet photos...

agundy, milankey and Myke like this.
  13. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Wow - that is some smoldering emotion...would love to hear his (and others) reaction to the documentary. You know they're going to be asked over and over (and over...).

vegafleet, Chris DeVoe and The MEZ like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Did you listen to the start of the interview? He's done more than 200 interviews of a lot of very big names. Those people posed after they were interviewed. His podcast is the official one for The Hollywood Reporter, the trade paper for the movie industry.

15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The interviewer was fine. If any fault can be laid on him is in not recognizing that DC is impatient and tells him quite clearly he wants to talk about the documentary and his last 4 (excellent) albums. I know that the interviewer justifies himself by saying that DC knew how it was going to be, but in life you got to learn to read people and know when to pivot if things are not going well in the moment.

My guess is that, while the interviewer had seen the film, he probably knew nothing about and had not heard said 4 albums. DC sensed (correctly I think) that at this pace a one hour interview wasn't gonna cut it (in almost 40 minutes they only get to Deja Vu). I understand DC's frustration but both could have handled things better. Also let's not forget (and I say this respectfully and out an abundance of personal experience) that DC is 77 and with serious health problems. At 5 PM, you start winding down for the day and tiredness can and will get you grouchy and short and impatient with people. DC was probably tired of doing press and probably just wanted to go home before it got too late. Before the final outburst, about 3 minutes before the end, you can sense a drop in DC's energy, and this leads to that final outburst. The guy should have done the interview at 11 AM.

For the record, I saw David twice live with the Lighthouse band in support of those two albums, but missed him for both tours with the full band led by James Raymond (who is himself immensely talented). Before that he did a solo acoustic tour that I saw. All shows were great. Dying to see the documentary!

16. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

By the way the James Raymond/David Crosby story is worth a documentary of its own. Or at least an interview on.

ARK likes this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

He was pushing it with the question about "Our House". Hard to understand why he would return to the relationship with Joni Mitchell when that was what first made Crosby uncomfortable. Almost seemed as if he was baiting him there.

18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Agree, the interview was fine (if the intention all along was a career overview), but that last question was dumb, specially if the interviewer had been warned twice that DC was losing patience. Again, you have to read people (and if you are interviewing, you have to listen). The guy failed miserably at that.

19. Chris DeVoe

To be fair, the interviewer should have had more information. Information like "This man, although a brilliant musician, has had lifelong substance abuse issues, spent time in prison and has alienated nearly everyone he has worked with."

Lost In The Flood and The MEZ like this.
  20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I dunno. There was something odd about the interviewer going through the events of Crosby's life like the entries on a laundry list, giving equal weight to the collective writing of "Eight Miles Miles," his ousting from the Byrds, and the traumatic death of his girlfriend. I think anyone would have been rubbed the wrong way by that. It's like, "Ok, Mrs. Onassis, we've talked about your refurnishing of the White House, the state visit to India and Pakistan, and now let's turn to the events of November 22..."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    BEAThoven, vudicus, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, even if someone's promoting their biography, you should still tread carefully about personal stuff. I don't know what made him feel he could just press into those topics, especially after Crosby's clear signposting. I can't see anyone doing that with, say, Paul McCartney. "Ok, let's talk about Jane Asher... What happened there, Paul? How exactly did you look through her?" That was basically the level here.

That said, Crosby was out of line with the profanity and disparaging remarks. He could have just walked out.

BEAThoven and milankey like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just dropping my to catch up, wait don't tell me, David Crosby turns out not to be a model of graceful deportment and a compliant press-tour schmoozer?

[​IMG]

23. Chris DeVoe

What we heard in that interview was the raw material, no editing at all. Presumably he would have gone back and pulled out the most interesting bits about all these different songs, trying to create an interesting narrative. I'm sure he was asked to do this by somebody from whatever studio is distributing this film. Again, looking at his list, he is done 290 interviews, almost all movie actors but plenty of musicians.

For instance here's a link to his podcast interviewing Dolly Parton. Yes, he asks her about Jolene because if you're interviewing Dolly Parton you ask her about Jolene.

24. Chris DeVoe

I was going to like this until I noticed who had already liked it @MYKE and @The MEZ, and I didn't want to spoil that perfectly 1970s buddy comedy TV show vibe. Coming up next on ABC "MYKE & The MEZ"!

JuanTCB likes this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wow. That was brutal to watch. Nash seems resolute and way over Croz. It appears we're never getting any kind of reunion. :shake: Seems like Croz majorly burned some bridges here.

What song of his is Nash referring to here?

Chris DeVoe likes this.