Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Is there a link for this "apparent" story?

Maybe the OP should let Google in on this news.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    1983 likes this.
  2. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Shouldn’t we be happy that people still love the Beatles all these years later? Why grip about why a certain (amazing) song is popular with the youth instead of another (amazing) song?

Troll thread :thumbsdow

aina, bhazen, willwin and 1 other person like this.
  3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

They did just have an almost billion dollar film come out.

On Youtube Bohemain Rhapsody has just reached 1 billion views, more than 500 million of those came in the last 18 months.

YouTube Stats of Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody (Official Video Remastered)

aina and TonyCzar like this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm glad that 'Millennials' (I'm really starting to hate generational generalizations!) are discovering the Beatles in their own fashion. I'm sure there are plenty that like "Hey Jude"*, too, and plenty off discovering new music to claim as their own. God bless 'em ...

*A perfectly okay Fabs number. ;)

angelees, BeatleJWOL and willwin like this.
  5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Has the OP responded yet or was this another way to rile people up again?

Kundalini, shaboo and willwin like this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Oof. I remember that one. Still, it produced some useful tidbits of hard info. Such as, the Beatles were subservient to Queen in the streaming space in a couple of well-populated Latin American territories.

NunoBento likes this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Is it a Beatles song, performed by the Beatles, on a Beatles album?

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Here Comes the Sun was being raved in reviews of Abbey Road. It made the Blue album, few b-level Beatle songs did (though a few slipped through).

Technically Hey Jude, being almost three times as long as Here Comes the Sun, had been listened to more on Spotify and is the second most popular Beatle song on Youtube, so it is up there.

dunce, StillTripping6769 and DRM like this.
  9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

By YOU.

I’ve always considered it top shelf. Great song.

(In before the lock :pineapple::hide:)

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Gen X here, born in 1969 not quite 8 when he died: to the extent that Elvis existed to me and my friends at all, he was a tacky joke. Bad movies, ugly house, drugs, black velvet paintings. Musically, he was a non-entity.

11. BluesOvertookMe

Indeed. This is actually the first time that I read that Hey Jude was the most defining.

12. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Lack of historical awareness? So that’s how we should choose which art appeals to us?
    Huh. I never knew that.

BeatleJWOL and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Probably Spotify stats. Which, to be fair, are a pretty good indicator to what the millennials listen. Here Comes The Sun is by far and away the most listened Beatles track there.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    StillTripping6769 and TonyCzar like this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

Poor Nina Simone with her lack of historical awareness. :rolleyes:

15. RedRoseSpeedway

There was an idiotic troll thread about Here Comes The Sun yesterday, was it the same member? Can’t find his profile.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Okay, so I'm not a certified and sanctioned 70's music expert. I just think, although well produced, Here Comes The Sun has too much moog synthesizer to be a slick 70's product. And it came out in 1969. But yes, since it is The Beatles and they do transcend decades, your point is valid. HCTS reeks of the 70's. And foretells the future of music. And remains beloved as we speak. You win. I lose. The Beatles reign.

17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'm only a year older than you. We're Gen X?? Woah.

1983 likes this.
  18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Great song. But I must admit it depresses the hell out of me mid-Winter.

19. RedRoseSpeedway

I was just thinking yesterday how subtle the Moog is on HCTS. It doesn’t make it sound dated at all, compared to how The Monkees used it. (Huge fan of The Monkees btw, I don’t care if it sounds dated, I love it anyway).

DRM likes this.
  20. BluesOvertookMe

See I don’t care for that song, it wouldn’t make my top 75 Elvis songs, but I’m not gonna make a thread ranting about lack of historical awareness. Instead I just hope it leads them to From Elvis in Memphis and all those great songs!

laf848, BeatleJWOL and NunoBento like this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Not for the first time, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Kundalini and NunoBento like this.
  22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

How about you make a topic with your top? This forum could use a bit of fresh positive threads.

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Good Morning Starshine" (No. 3 in the US, July 1969) from the show "Hair" used to drive me up the freakin' wall EVERY time it came on the radio. And since it was a Summertime hit, I guess I didn't need the season for my (rage) reason.

Was this musical atrocity maybe why HCTS was not considered for a single from "Abbey Road" (released 09/1969)?

willwin likes this.
  24. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Nothing to get hung about. Not surprising that one of their most modern sounding poppy songs with an upbeat, simple theme gets widespread listens. Anyone think walrus or revolution nine is going to dominate playlist because of history or innovation?

Neither is this. Here is a band with many anthem-riffic singles with interesting things going on sonically who have had cultural through-lines and steady, timely chart re-emergences from the late 80s onward. No surprise that the expanded audience is reflected in streaming numbers.

25. BluesOvertookMe

The “media” made the remix? What in Hades is going on in this thread?????!