Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Me too Mark. Good post

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’d say The End is my favorite from Abbey Road. How can you beat those dueling guitar solos?? I’m in awe every time. And Ringo’s drumming!! Incredible.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

His ahh-riffic handclaps should have earned him the primary writing credit

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

But seriously, though, what the **** are you on about? You're babbling non sequiturs and then acting defensive when people don't follow them. This is a trend with your posts, and don't think no one has noticed.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I just whipped up a personal ranking of George's 22 composed Beatle songs and "Here Comes The Sun" came at #10.

angelees likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Honestly ,what on Earth are you talking about? What 'age card'? Ignore away, no great loss as you consistently show an inability to understand posts and threads and to follow lines of argument and are forever posting non-sequiturs and going off on irrelevant tangents that no-one can follow. I don't generally mind it, it's even funny on occasion, but you're the one who's determined to turn this into a thing, so you're getting it, both barrels.

NunoBento and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

So millennials are not only supposed to love the 50 year old music that you love, but they are also supposed to love it in exactly the same way that you do?

piepants, Suncola, BeatleJWOL and 6 others like this.
  8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

A song where the most common word in the lyric is ... "na".

Lord Nigel KnickKnack likes this.
  9. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

I’m at the tail of Gen-X so whilst not a millennial I was obviously born post -Beatles.

And given the choice of never having to hear one of Hey Jude or Here Comes The Sun ever again, without hesitation I’d pick Hey Jude. Over lionised and too long. Can’t say I’m surprised with the choice of a sunny 3 minutes of near perfection over it.

Aftermath and davers like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I always enjoy posts like this because it takes ma a minute to realize that you are arguing with someone I "Ignored" long ago for the very reasons you mention, so I thankfully can only see your side of the argument.

Remember everyone the "Ignore" function is your friend!

omikron and mbleicher1 like this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong, I generally like the guy, he's harmless, but when he starts picking fights over some imaginary thing in his head then it's Goodnight Vienna.

omikron likes this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

So now millennials are bad because we’re not listening to the right Beatles track? Seems out-of-touch and clickbait-y to me...

piepants, NunoBento and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great song. I see no problem with its popularity.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Been officially sick of HEY JUDE for 20 years now.. HCTS has lasting appeal.

aina likes this.
  15. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I cringed at the nonsensical "terrible, terrible times" bit, but clearly a lot of millenials have been convinced of that, and it tracks.

Regardless, the other main reason is playlists - a short song about the sun rising fits a wide variety of playlists, and playlists are what drive song plays on Spotify.

16. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

We live in a world where most millennials can't afford their own homes, will more than likely work until they're 80 doing a job they hate whilst being crippled by student debt, taking anxiety medication, depression medication and living pay check to pay check.

In other words, I can see why Here Comes The Sun is so popular.

dunce, bhazen, piepants and 11 others like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It is arguably (ARGUABLY) the best song on Abbey Road, and it's a good song by any standard.

Some Beatles song has to be most streamed. This one is as good as any, better than most.

But it proves nothing else. George's overall output with The Beatles (breadth and quality) still pales compared to the best of Paul/John.

I don't find this shocking or surprising, because it doesn't have any additional meaning: It's just a good song by The Beatles which happened to be written by George.

18. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Also, growing up we heard this song a lot during commercials, advertisements, movies etc...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    DK Pete likes this.
  19. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Not yet...

NunoBento and PIGGIES like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There is another explanation.

The listeners are mistaking Here Comes The Sun for Who Loves The Sun by The Velvet Underground – who we also know were so influential on the Fab Four's sound.

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lay it on me!

22. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

It's always been one of my top ten Beatles songs. I was born when Revolver was the number one album. It's also probably both of my parents' favorite Beatles song, and they were both born during WWII.

:shrug:

It's a top-shelf song from one of the classic albums of all time. I'm not the least bit surprised that any demographic streams it the most.

mbleicher1, bhazen and DK Pete like this.
  23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

22) You Like Me Too Much
    21) Only a Northern Song
    20) Within You, Without You
    19) The Inner Light
    18) Piggies
    17) Don't Bother Me
    16) Love You To
    15) It's All Too Much
    14) For You Blue
    13) I Need You
    12) I Me Mine
    11) I Want To Tell You
    10) Here Comes The Sun
    09) Blue Jay Way
    08) If I Needed Someone
    07) Taxman
    06) Think For Yourself
    05) Old Brown Shoe
    04) Long, Long, Long
    03) Something
    02) While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    01) Savoy Truffle

If "Not Guilty" had been released, "Here Comes The Sun" would end up wedged out of the top ten as "NG" made it to #3.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    the pope ondine likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

beaten out by Blue Jay Way! whoa! I like the top 4 though. I would put it 1) here come/something/long long/guitar/maybe savoy or taxman

MPLRecords likes this.
  25. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Well it's my favourite Beatles song too,good choice millennials!

aina and bhazen like this.