David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This one:

vonwegen and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

The crying shame is that nothing Crosby, Stills or Nash has done individually will ever be as great as what they did together.

ARK and George P like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Honestly, I think that's expecting a lot. Even nothing the Beatles did separate from each other really equaled their heights as a band.

I do think Crosby's recent output has been exceptional, and at least approaches or exceeds the level that he was creating at on some later CSN albums.

ARK, somnar, Joti Cover and 4 others like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

You're right, it is a high bar - all these gentlemen are probably well past their peak creative years, but if Crosby wasn't being such a tool they could probably continue touring until one of them drops.

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

I'd suggest that Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name is every bit as good as any CSN album.

6. Chris DeVoe

I'll put it on my Google Play Music playlist.

bonus, The MEZ and Sergius Wegmuller like this.
  7. Sergius Wegmuller

Hope you enjoy it.

The MEZ and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Better.

mikeburns, zongo, Graham and 8 others like this.
  9. Sergius Wegmuller

You could well be right.

zongo and Chrome_Head like this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

who knows what really went down.

11. vetterestorer

vetterestorer Lost in the Ozone

This has been a very interesting read. Especially when combined with the botched interview. It is one thing to read about Crosby's big ego and opinionated talk, it is quite another to hear Crosby strike out in the interview. What a change from the aging, mellow, public hippie to pure, self serving *******. I now have a bit more understanding of why Graham & Neil do not want to work with him.

Pretty simple to say the interview is over without all the personal attacks that serve no purpose other than ruin a relationship.

Too bad. We are the losers.

Chris DeVoe and The MEZ like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Crosby could learn a thing or two from your avatar. More Dude, less Walter.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have always been a huge DC fan, warts and all. But after listening to this podcast, I'm genuinely puzzled. Wonder if it was a low blood sugar moment for him, or something else similar? All he had to do was sit there for an hour and get fawned over, answer softball questions, and eventually plug his movie/lp's. Not difficult. Just seems like something else was going on.

Either that, or that truly was the real DC that so many people despise.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

This is playing in Toronto this weekend at the old Bloor Cinema.
    I may catch it Monday night. Reviews have been great!

15. Chrome_Head

Just saw that it's playing at a local independent theater right up the street from me, so I will be going this weekend!

Joti Cover and The MEZ like this.
  16. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

So when is this film widely released, really want to see.

Regarding the interview, I have to agree with Croz that the guy was a bit of a *******. A good interviewer reads the room and flows the interview along with the mood of the one being interviewed. Sure, Croz flew off the handle but I loved hearing it. The man is going to speak his mind and has done so for over 50 years now. If you didn’t know that going into it, we’ll thats that then. I DO think there was something else going on there, probably medical and medication related.

LandHorses and milankey like this.
  17. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Saw it yesterday. It's hard not comparing DC: Remember My Name to Echoes of Laurel Canyon which I saw a few weeks ago. Whereas the latter is a polished, mostly feel-good celebration of the music and artistic magic of one point in time and space, the Crosby doc is fan unflinching portrayal of a man who never seems to find his way out of darkness. There's plenty of music throughout, including unreleased demos of classic songs, but this is not a celebration of the music. He mentions that with eight stents in his heart and diabetes, he probably only has a couple of years left to live. But he needs to risk his health by going out on tour because he needs music in his life (he also brings up financial reasons). At one point, his wife says she would take solace in his death if it happens during a performance. It's painful to hear him talk about his current relationship with Graham Nash (though he never discusses what caused the rift) after spending much of the film excitedly discussing their creative partnership and friendship. It's also telling that he only mentions Stephen Stills when needed for a story. There are no interviews of Stills, and both Nash and Young clips are taken from third-party interviews. Interviews with McGuinn and, to a lesser degree, Hillman, appear to be shot for this film. I don't believe there's a wealth of new info which someone well-schooled in Crosby's history will discover, but there's a rawness to the presentation which makes it essential viewing.

The one thing it does capture is the strength of his latest artistic resurgence. It uses a tour from a couple of years ago throughout which shows off that he still has power in his voice and something to contribute. But he constantly reminds Cameron Crowe (the interviewer) that touring is slowly killing him and taking a toll on his voice - so much for the triumphant end of a VH1 special.

Mark

18. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

just watching this right now, I about half way through thought I'd post it here for you all to view and comment.

19. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Poorly paced interview imo. I would have thought Feinberg would have moved it along after it became clear Crosby was getting frustrated. Yup, Crosby was out of line at the end...but I had to chuckle to myself as it brought to mind Chris Farley's interview of McCartney on SNL.."yeah...so do you remember what a great song Our House was? And..and...do you remember that Graham was shackin up with Joni? Do you remember that?

20. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I saw it today and felt it was better than Echo in the Canyon and Yesterday put together

somnar, Joti Cover and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

What a fabulous documentary. So moving. And it must be one of the few music docs with zero talking heads — often people with no real link to the artist — blabbering on about how great they are.

somnar and Hall Cat like this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Saw this yesterday, it's really great. I'll put some of my thoughts in spoilers:

Almost completely told from Croz's own accounts and interviews with him. So that means it skips over various things (albeit covered endlessly elsewhere): the actual formation of the Byrds, how Croz met Stills, his liver transplant, his sperm donation to Melissa Ethridge, and just why exactly all his ex-bandmates loathe him at the moment (the very p*ssed-off Graham Nash clip is included here). Joni, Dylan and Jerry Garcia are periphery figures in the narrative mostly glimpsed through footage. There are a few short interview clips from over the years with Young and Nash, and a few new ones with McGuinn and Hillman, but nothing from Stills (there is a very old clip of Stills yelling in Croz's face). Croz does say he's the only member of CSN&Y to not have had a hit, and makes no mention of his writing credit on "Eight Miles High" (and no mention of Gene Clark, period). That cringey tree-lighting ceremony clip from 2015 where the trio is painfully singing out of tune is included (and also marks CSN's last public performance thus far).

That said, the story it tells in photographs and video footage is astonishing. Croz has indeed had a remarkable career, and I feel the doc could've gone deeper into some of his music, but again, they keep it light and conversational. Croz also certainly seems to be weighing his impending mortality and that lends a profound immediacy to the whole thing. By the end, one is given the sense that Croz is a hell of a survivor, and the clip that plays over the credits is in-studio footage of him recording his most recent album with Becca, Michelle and Michael. The music goes on.

This film is a success definitely due in part to Crowe's access to his subject. Very much recommended, I enjoyed it a lot!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  23. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont own any Crosby albums, I find his music (and Nash's) beyond boring. but he was always something of a crackpot. i remember back in the day when he would rant and rave about JFK conspiracies.

im sure this documentary is attempt 5 at trying to rehabilitate him.

Darrin L. likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Not at all. Croz has regrets in the doc but he's completely honest about who he is.

Also not sure why you'd drop by just to threadcrap.

ARK, somnar, marmalade166 and 6 others like this.
  25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

took a shot at neil and nash there at the end with the comment about wives.