A new one on me: An "unreturnable" music item from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kwadguy, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I got the deluxe version of an album: LP+CD in an oversized book from Amazon (sold by Amazon).

When I got it, it was unwrapped (supposed to be sealed). I contacted Amazon and tried to do a return. I got the message "this item is not returnable." I called the CSR and got the same message "this item is classified as unreturnable by Amazon." I told the CSR that someone had obviously made a categorization error, since this fills none of the criteria for an unreturnable item (criteria can be found here, if you're curious: Amazon.com Help: About Items That Can't Be Returned ).

So the CSR just refunded my money and told me to keep it. I am not upset about that, but it's really odd. And, unfortunately, the CSR has no ability to accept a return or to figure out there's a problem (or to even care if there's a problem). I argued briefly with the CSR, but then I figured I would take the free album if they really want to do that...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I've had that happen a couple times, actually. Knowing they goofed up and what the outcome would be when I contacted them (free item), I was quite pleased.

I don't think it's that weird, given who we're talking about here.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Perhaps if he took it back with a refund on the books, he could be liable for selling pirated merchandise? But if he just gives you your money back, "no transaction took place", so he's not liable for anything, so it's in his best interest not to fight it.

That's all I got.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

"he"? as in who? jeff bezos?

5. Dillydipper

"He" the seller. Could be Bezos, could be Bozo. Could be Bebe Rebozo. I'm betting the new policy is, if something comes back opened, and it doesn't look like it's been disturbed, try and re-sell it anyway for full price, and if you get any lip for it, statistically it's worth more to them to fully-refund it, than risk the policy itself getting called into question. Better potential for making the full profit, than lumping it all onto a 'virtual "open-box table"'.

PhantomStranger and JasonA like this.
  6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I find Amazon CS makes very little sense anymore, assuming you can actually get to speak to them. They usually come up with a resolution that's acceptable, but the logic and reason for them is often a mystery they won't explain!

EG.

scobb likes this.
  7. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Spent 50 minutes on an Amazon "customer-disservice" chat last week, over a pair of earbuds that wouldn't hold a charge after 2 months of ownership. (The earbuds cost $18. Was I crazy or was Amazon?)

Their passive-aggressive "troubleshooting" really intends for the customer simply to give up. Now Amazon wants me to return the defective pair o' 'buds. (At least Amazon supplied a mailing label, but why?)

These are my second pair of defective, cheap earbuds (different brands) bought through Amazon. . . . Sheesh, I'm probably on an earbud-return watchlist.

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The standard return policy for opened music items historically has been that you could exchange it for the exact same item. Period. In the old days, people bought LPs, taped them, then returned them to the store. Thus the birth of the policy. Same with cassettes, and later with CDs (when copying became possible).

With Amazon Prime, the cost of paying to ship the item back, then send you another one, probably came close to the cost of the item. So they allowed the CSR to override the standard policy and give you a refund. I'm sure it wouldn't have happened without your persistence, though.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Your post seems to insinuate a lack of distinction between Amazon and the manufacturer's responsibilities.

It's not Amazon's job to perform troubleshooting for electronics' functionality issues. If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer needs to be contacted for appropriate troubleshooting. If the item is within the return window, you can opt to return it to Amazon.

Jrr and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Nor can most of them translate it from the English...:shh:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

cool.

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'm frankly stunned that you can't return live insects to Amazon. I would have expected people to riot in the streets over that exception. :shrug:

13. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

I insinuate nothing. (Where do you come up with this crap?)

OK, here's how I chose to address the suboptimal earbuds, step by step just for you because you've been so kind and snarky.

1. I access my Amazon account.

2. I click on Orders.

3. I find the bad earbuds. I click on Get Product Support.

That's when the chat began. Are you insinuating that it's up to me to figure out which path to take to troubleshoot suboptimally performing product?

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My comments were not meant to be snarky. No idea why you read that attitude into them but I apologize if they caused you to feel defensive.

Your wording (e.g. "troubleshooting") made it sound as if you expected Amazon to find a way to make your earbuds work as they should (i.e. no recharging issue). Merely pointed out the manufacturer is the party who should assist you in that fashion ; not the retailer.

15. I think you're closer to the truth than most realize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.