Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Can you feel the cash tonight...

Jrr, Vidiot, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

As we blow it on other live action reboots..
    may sink or swim..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The movie industry is a business just like any other and Disney are very good at it. I don't understand why some people seem to resent this in some way, given we operate in a capitalist system.

I wonder why though the other studios are so poor in comparison? That is really the question.

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Does Warner Bros. have the financial muscle to acquire assets like Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars/20th Century Fox etc...? #1's in any field become targets that's just the way it is, Disney now has the power to lockdown all of the major release dates in a calendar year which will only make it harder on the competition.

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Who knows this might force the remaining studios to make more creative lower budget movies that are in tune to their audiences.

Maybe less remakes, maybe?

agaraffa, Jrr, Matthew Tate and 4 others like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think Warners needs to acquire any assets though. If you look at what they own - DC, Harry Potter, Lego, Looney Tunes, King Kong, Godzilla and loads and loads of other properties (too many to list) they have the IP's to dominate, and they did a while back with the Batman trilogy, LOTR and the Potter Films but they have really dropped the ball over the last decade.

They could certainly give Disney a run for their money if they were well managed and they appointed the right people to be in charge of the various divisions. But it seems to be one bad move after another.

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  7. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Do you recall that only a few years ago it was Universal that was dominating the box office. People talked about their complete mastery over everyone else.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Dunno the reaction to the current Spider-man
    but it appears to be a box office disappointment.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's made more than $1 billion worldwide - that's a disappointment? :confused:

10. TheDailyBuzzherd

As I wrote, I don't know. But in the wake of The Avengers,
    which I've always considered second tier Marvel®, it has
    to be a disappointment.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Avengers are the TOP tier by far of the MCU, all others feed into it. Spider-Man FFH is doing great business, much better than expected.

TOP 10 MCU Worldwide Gross

1- Avengers: Endgame BV $2,793.3
    2- Avengers: Infinity War BV $2,048.4
    3- Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.8
    4- Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $1,405.4

5- Black Panther BV $1,346.9
    6- Iron Man 3 BV $1,214.8
    7- Captain America: Civil War BV $1,153.3
    8- Captain Marvel BV $1,128.3
    9- Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $1,037.1
    10- Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $880.2

12. Oatsdad

"Avengers" is the toppermost of the poppermost in the MCU. I see why you'd view the comics as "2nd tier", but in the movie universe, it's the king.

No one expected "Far From Home" to make "Endgame" money. Sony wouldn't have complained, but I'm confident they're more than satisfied with the movie's take...

13. TheDailyBuzzherd

Truth. Raimi got close to the Spider-man ethos in a way that would
    make Lee proud, but not quite. Too much tweaking with the history.

But in the comics, Spider-man is King. Dunno 'bout today, but '67?

14. Oatsdad

I also have no idea what titles sell best at comic stands.

As a teen in the early 80s, Spidey was a biggie, as were X-Men and Daredevil.

I assume Spidey still does well. No idea how much the Avengers movies have helped move magazines...

15. SandAndGlass

I have a feeling that movies have replaced print comics as a media.

Superhero movies are the new comic books.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's interesting as it used to be that the comics were amazing and blew your mind and every film was a watered down weak version not coming near the comics in terms of 'art'.

Now the films are (mostly) amazing, they can do anything they want now (no more Spidey films where he just does kung fu) and really bring the comics to life in a way that makes them arguably a better product.

So as you say it's not a stretch to say that most people now enjoy superheroes in films rather than comics.

However, I am from the Alan Moore school of thinking in that comics are a medium all of their own, different to books and films, and they should be valued as such and there are ways of telling stories unique to each medium, and one isn't by definition better than another. So I hope comics and films can exist together and be mutually beneficial to each other.

And of course, for the most part, the films are still using the comics for source material.

17. SandAndGlass

My comic book years were between 1960 and 1976, basically ages from 6-15.

Back then, every corner store and every drugstore had a rack with comic books in it. Of course the stores were independent back in those days, no chain stores.

I honestly don't know when I last saw a real comic book in stores? I'm sure it vastly predates the Internet. I don't know where people would even go today to actually buy a physical comic book?

I agree with you, that it is a unique medium, but it is a physical medium and like books and movies on physical media, it might end up going the way of the dodo bird?

My thinking is that movies will replace physical comic books and be the new comic book media.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Over/Under $1B for Hobbs & Shaw??? Currently showing 74% on RT.

It's all up to China (Aug.23 release), I'm going under with a risk of losing some $$$$, production budget estimated at $200 million with a huge promo budget tacked on.

Rank - Title - Year
    1 Furious 7 Uni. $1,516.0 - 2015
    2 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,236.0 - 2017
    3 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $788.7 - 2013
    4 Fast Five Uni. $626.1 - 2011
    5 Fast and Furious Uni. $363.2 - 2009
    6 2 Fast 2 Furious Uni. $236.4 - 2003
    7 The Fast and the Furious Uni. $207.3 - 2001
    8 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $158.5 - 2006

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No, they do not.

I would be stunned if Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker makes a dime less than $1.5 billion dollars.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, I will be contributing to the Hobbs & Shaw take on Friday. Maybe my contribution will push it over the $1B mark. ;)

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You know that there's literally things called comic book stores, right? There are five of them within a 30-minute walk from my house, not counting Newbury Comics, which is more of a record store chain that also sells comics than vice versa.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

BTW, for those following this thread, this is the new revised ranking of the Top 10 biggest films in history:

[​IMG]

Sobering to consider that Disney owns or controls a whopping 8 of them. :eek:

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes. Have to remember it really isn’t one company, it’s a lot of marquee studios that happen to be owned by one umbrella company, ie, it isn’t one studio putting out all those films. And I would hope Disney wouldn’t take all the credit. But it could someday go the other way too. They are alarmed at the low attendance at the CA park since Star Wars land opened (wow, finally people are, perhaps, figuring out there are better and cheaper ways to spend your free time than being in crammed amusement parks...I really don’t get it) and there could be a period where a lot of their studio properties mis read trends and they start having some enormous problems instead of enormous hits. No one generally stays on top forever. Every studio experiences downturns....now they have a bunch of them! I like what they are doing, and root for their continued success, but history supports my expressed concern. Spreading themselves around...that could be a very positive thing, but if it goes the other way it could sure be a cash drain. Regardless, it will be fun to watch.

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is for me the million dollar question: have people had enough? Marketing it as the last one in this series will likely swing things in their favor and, really, does anyone really think it won’t be spectacular? But I still say it’s not a sure bet...they have squandered a tremendous amount of good will imo. However, I will be among the first in line, and if it’s any good at all they will likely get my money twice.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sobering...the right word indeed. I worry they own so much. Never good for one company to have so much power and influence in a field, but if they can keep their hands off the day to day at Pixar, Fox, Lucas etc maybe this will work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.