Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

So no Charlie music?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

If someone said I dozed off in the movie while a song was on - and I missed it - but

then told me it was Spirit’s I Got A Line On You - I’d believe it -it’s a perfect fit!

DEAN OF ROCK and Hush like this.
  3. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

The "93 KHJ..." station ID and Humble Harve, Robert W. Morgan and the Real Don Steele are woven into the film, usually coming out of Cliff's or Rick's car. There is a lot of KHJ on the soundtrack, and some pretty awesome period commercials. Some songs have DJ intros are segued and others don't. The songs that do sound mono and compressed (e.g., "Hector" and "Mrs. Robinson"), whereas the songs that are not segued are stereo and don't sound compressed. I read that the film production sought out home recordings of KHJ radio from the era. It would be interesting to know where the KHJ stuff came from.

4. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Green Door? “Singing” on Hullabaloo is one of the things Marvin Shwarz throws in Rick’s face during the Frank & Musso scene - how the mighty have fallen and all that.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. Paperback Writer

Thank you!

It’s all coming back to me now - thanks for your help.

coolcreek likes this.
  6. pdas1996

pdas1996 Forum Resident

In the Tarantino interview talking about the soundtrack, I believe they mention that all the KHJ material comes from QT's personal collection.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm probably going to buy this on CD though I wish QT included some Tommy James and The Shondells rarely played gems like "Smokey Roads" and "Crystal Blue Persuasion". Really nice to hear the soundtrack sound so good in the theater considering quite a few of the selections were pretty LoFI back in the day as I remember.

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Don't know if it's already been mentioned here but that YouTube sound quality of "Bring A Little Lovin'" which is quite good is not what the CD soundtrack sounds like according to the Amazon samples which all sound like they were recorded off an AM radio. And the YouTube version is what I heard in the theater so I don't know what's going on with the soundtrack album but I'm not going to buy it if it's going to sound that bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Quentin-Tarantinos-Hollywood-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B07VJKQVPR

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

That's the point. Mrs. Robinson especially sounds exactly like it did blasting in '68/'69 on my dad's '59 Cadillac AM radio. Blasted it in my '18 Challenger and I was back in time. Awesome!!

10. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I’m surprised no one has mentioned that a lot of the songs on the soundtrack are actual radio transcriptions from KHJ, as in the film itself. So, *technically*, this is the first digital release of the mono version of “Mrs. Robinson”. Audiophile it ain’t, but legit it is!

11. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

More stuff I need to find out about, What areSteve's Underground radio comps called? Where can they be found?

12. Further

Further Forum Resident

13. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

There was also a series of albums called Crusin 19xx that featured oldies and top national DJs providing patter, complete with local commercials and jingles, if I remember correctly. I am sure there was a KHJ one. Each was set up like an hour of local radio. Not real airchecks, all produced in studios - but with the actual jingles, sounders, ads, newscasts. But most DJs will have tapes hidden somewhere and a powerhouse like KHJ would certainly have hours of tape. Advertisers, too.

14. Paperback Writer

Wonder if Once Upon A Time in Hollywood will spawn similar subsequent releases as American Graffiti did in the 70’s?

That movie was also the director’s “Valentine “ to his youth, George Lucas’ selected songs were based on his youth, as was Tarantino's.

Take a look below, after the Original soundtrack was released, there was “Highlights”, “More”, Vol 2 and Vol 3.

So keep posting proposed songs or alternative tracks - they jut might get noticed for related CDs! LOL

[​IMG]
    41 Original Hits from The Soundtrack of American Graffiti
    by Soundtrack
    Vinyl
    $30.24$30.24

Get it as soon as Thu, Aug 1
    FREE Shipping by Amazon
    Only 13 left in stock (more on the way).
    More Buying Choices
    $12.95 (25 used & new offers)

[​IMG]
    Highlights From The Complete Soundtrack Of American Graffiti
    by American Graffiti (Related Recordings) | 1998
    Audio CD
    More Buying Choices
    $2.72 (22 used & new offers)
    MP3 Music
    Listen with Music Unlimited

Or $9.49 to buy MP3

[​IMG]
    More American Graffiti (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    by Various Artists | 1979
    Vinyl
    More Buying Choices
    $6.74 (14 used & new offers)
    Audio CD
    More Buying Choices
    $11.53 (7 used & new offers)

[​IMG]
    American Graffiti 2
    by OST | 1973
    Audio CD
    More Buying Choices
    $5.08 (17 used & new offers)

[​IMG]
    American Graffiti, Vol. III
    by American Graffiti Vol Iii
    Vinyl
    More Buying Choices
    $10.02 (4 used offers)
    MP3 Music
    Listen with Music Unlimited

Or $11.49 to buy MP3
    Audio CD
    More Buying Choices
    $9.92 (10 used & new offers)

PhantomStranger likes this.
  15. Paperback Writer

Deconstructing the 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood' Soundtrack

Well, there is this from Time Magazine: - looks like I’ll have to see this again, as I missed this:

One scene includes an eerie Manson interlude
    Before they are properly introduced in the film, a group of women in the Manson Family wander the streets, tiptoeing over sofas, looking for things to take home. The eerie song they are singing, “Always Is Always Forever,” was actually written by Manson; its lyrics suggest submission and a cult mentality.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Paperback Writer

Did anyone else see or hear this -“Charlie” song by the “Family” women in the movie?

EddieMann and joeislive like this.
  17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

sure.. they were singing it quite loudly for maybe 20 seconds

18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yes it was used to creepy effect

19. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

So where would you put "Green Door" and "Out of Time" if you were shoehorning them into this playlist? I have Jim Lowe's "Green Door" after "Hungry," but I think that is out of place. Got the Stones' Metamorphosis version of "Out of Time" after Jose Feliciano's "California Dreaming."

And if you had "Straight Shooter" in there, would it be just before "You Keep Me Hanging On"?

20. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Although I’ve only seen it once so far (I plan on going again), I think you have them placed perfectly. The only one I’m not positive about is “Green Door”.

21. Paperback Writer

Great observation!

I’ll definitely have to see it again, but your probably close. Green Door is in the Hullabaloo Scene as a poster noted earlier.

Thanks

KeninDC likes this.
  22. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

A few comments:
    Really enjoying the soundtrack - the standout so far for me is 'Bring a Little Lovin' by Los Bravos - don't think I had ever heard it before.

Also really liked the inclusion of 'Out of Time' by the Stones; disappointed it's not on the soundtrack.

The commercials and DJ patter are great. "Tanya Tanning Butter" for 85 cents - who needs sunscreen? You might even burn, but not enough to hurt. Clearly a different era!!

Great suggestion by the OP to have included 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' by Status Quo. One of my all time fav singles - still have the original 45 on Cadet.

I too am surprised by no Doors' songs. Seems like they would have been a natural.

A few questions:
    Does anyone have a complete list of the songs included in the movie but not on the soundtrack?

I ordered the CD from Amazon, but it's a made on demand one. When does the "real" CD come out?

twicks, Paperback Writer and KeninDC like this.
  23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

From the TIME article referenced above:

"In the scene in which Cliff goes to check in on George Spahn (played by Bruce Dern), who owns the ranch where the Manson Family lives, an unreleased clip from Torn Curtain — the ill-fated final collaboration between Herrmann and Hitchcock — plays ominously."

I'm thinking it is this piece, "The Radiogram."

coolcreek and Paperback Writer like this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The music supervisor for both of these: Mary Ramos - IMDb

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Doors are mentioned in the film.

HarvG and Paperback Writer like this.