Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

That would be one of highlights ...

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about putting it into a Continu/ation-like bonus set?

RangerXT and pinkpurpl like this.
  3. I know I've heard/read that before, but does anyone know if they ever attempted (rehearsed), "Sheep" -- even just once? Zero expectations we'd ever get to hear it, but fascinating to consider.

I too really wish there'd been room for "Dogs" on either the AMLOR of TDB tours -- even in some sort of truncated form.

I know the masses wouldn't have gone for it, but give me "Dogs" any day, over "Brick", or even "Money" (frankly). I was so disappointed Dave never dug deeper into his (or Floyd's) back catalog for the last Rattle That Lock tour. A tune or two from his first two solo albums. One or two obscurities from The Early Years. Don't mean that to b*tch and moan about Dave -- the last thing he needs is complainers. But "Childhood's End" would have been so lovely to have heard revisited, among perhaps a dozen other options.

At least, thank god, Nick Mason saved the day with The Saucers!! :righton:

RangerXT, Runicen, Sytze and 4 others like this.
  4. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Possible i guess it will be interesting to see if we get any tour rarities on this boxset

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Presuming they're working from the original master tapes and not simply a ripped DVD that's been upscaled, there should be a world of difference when it comes to video compression artifacts. The maximum data rate for DVD-Video (video + audio total) is 9.9 megabits/second, so when you factor in that Pulse had a 640kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 track, that leaves little over 9 megabits for video.

Also factor in that you have to fit everything (main feature video + multiple audio streams, extras, menus, authoring overheads etc.) in a 8.5gb dual layer disc and you can't run your video at max bitrate the whole time anyway, so with all the dark video on Pulse you end up with loads of MPEG compression artifacts.

BluRay on the other hand has a maximum data rate of something like 40 megabits/second, so you have the potential for virtually artifact-free SD video, along with (obviously) losslessly-compressed audio which should be a big upgrade on the original Dolby Digital tracks. People think that it's a given that HD is better than SD, but it's not so cut and dried: full-bandwidth SD video can easily look better than bitrate-starved HD, which is really HD in name only.

I'm not sure what format Pulse was originally finished in, but the max data rate of 90s digital video was enormous - something like 180 megabits/second for D1 digital, and 80 megabits (2:1 lossless DCT compression, so effectively 160 megbits) for Digital Betacam. If they're working from those original masters, or the original pre-edit camera tapes, there's plenty of scope for improvement for a SD BluRay version of Pulse.

6. This is very freaking cool!

NunoBento, SteveFff and mestreech like this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That is good to know! Hopefully the team had the original digital masters and we can get a better looking and sounding Pulse this year!

andrewskyDE and Billy Infinity like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That was very informative. Thank you.

9. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

I was much disapointed of Gilmour's RTL setlist....but it was great to see him live on tour!!!!!

vitorbastos123 and mcallister like this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for posting this info.
    Of course they're working from the masters and not a DVD rip. The format still has limitations compared to today's standards almost 25 years later. Not sure how much the original lossy format can be improved upon.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  11. Lot of little extra electric guitar fills in this live version of "Welcome To The Machine" from the 87-89 tour (not precisely sure which year it's from).

Not trying to spoil anything about it's inclusion (or lack of inclusion) -- just wanted to share, since I'd enjoyed looking this up a few minutes ago...

12. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Thanks! This was great! I can't understand why they didn't put this on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I know you've gotta have the hits on the live album, but they could have cut one of the AMLOR tracks (Yet Another Movie or Dogs of War) to add this.

RangerXT, Kalli, J_D__ and 1 other person like this.
  13. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Oh man, I wasn't disappointed... At the show I attended he played What Do You Want From Me instead of On An Island, and I would have preferred OAI, but that's about it. My one request would have been a Syd Barrett solo track, like Dominoes.

I completely agree about Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets... what a joy that was.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Then you're not keeping up with this thread. It was recently discussed a few posts back.

andrewskyDE, Luisboa, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  15. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Oakland 2006... .Dave + band did actually play Dominoes... as well as Arnold Layne!

patsdelight likes this.
  16. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

What's lossy? The feature would've been edited on some kind of lossless pro format tape (either DigiBeta or D1 as I said, or possibly BetaCam SP or similar if they were still working analog at that point) and from that tape an MPEG encode for DVD would've been derived, which is indeed lossy.

If they've gone back to the original tapes, then that old DVD encode is moot, and they can create a brand new encode from the master tape for BluRay - not only is BluRay capable of a much higher data rate (40mbps as I mentioned previously, compared to the 9mbps of DVD-V), the compression codecs used by BR like AVC and VC-1 are (I believe) nearly twice as efficient as the old MPEG2 codec used in DVD-V so there should be little to no compression artifacting, even in the darker shots.

The other thing I was going to mention is that often the reason that reissued concert films are presented in an "original feature plus extras" format instead of an extended cut is because of the contracts signed by the original director. Obviously every one is different, but usually it's the case that the studio/owner of the feature can reissue the film in perpetuity without needing any sign-off or OK, but if they re-edit or alter the film in anyway, approval is necessary. @Vidiot is probably better poised to speak to this, but I think it has to do with directors guild regulations. The Genesis Live box set(s) were like this for the same reason I believe, where they included full-length versions of some of the tracks that were edited in one of the films (Three Sides Live maybe?) as bonus extras.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm not referring to the edit or the DVD encoding but rather the original tape format that it was captured on which had limitations. For example, look how bad the whites/highlights are blown out. Check out how blown out one side of DG's face is while he's singing Shine On for example. Nothing can correct this. The original format had limitations, that's all I'm saying.

And FYI, I've worked in the film/TV industry since the early 80s and am familiar with most tape formats having worked with them at one time or another.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    St. Troy, RangerXT, drum_cas and 7 others like this.
  18. pinknoisemex

pinknoisemex Forum Resident

the inclusion of the nick mason movie: life could be a dream would be an excellent gem! It was directed in 1986 ... so it can be included in the period

Six Bachelors and rontoon like this.
  19. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

The second night of Oakland.... Not the first. I was there! We got Dominoes and Wots Uh The Deal that night. Amazing!

Billy_Sunday and Kalli like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, this might answer my question I asked earlier. Looks like the animation is by Gerald Scarfe... and maybe they didn't get his permission hence why the song was omitted in the concert film.
    I mean, somehow I believe when they had to ask Scarfe they automatically had to ask Roger.^^

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't think that this is the case. No way Scarfe owns the film, it was commissioned by the band.

22. Babette Bardot

Babette Bardot Active Member

Hello everyone, this is my first intervention.

The discussion on mixing DSOT and Pulse concerts is interesting :
    1) It is true that the mix on the albums is not representative of the sound heard at the concert.
    2) But I think it is trying nervously to listen to such a sound at home.
    3) However, as they record the crowd to edit the interludes, I imagine that they own whole concert sound recordings made with a pair of schoeps or neuman. I would be very much in favor of including a recording of this type concerning DSOT and Pulse in the "Later years". In ghost track for example. This would be a good testimony of the special atmosphere of these events. A pirate record officially made somehow.
    4) I saw 4 concerts in 88 and 4 in 89 and 3 in 94. The concert in Versailles has clearly surpassed the others in sound quality. Very little distortion, loose and wide low frequencies, a short transient response and a very musical mix. Did the large number of spectators require a modification of the amplification system?

Kalli likes this.
  23. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I'm just hoping at the very least that Welcome to the Machine will be included as audio! It's such a highlight from the tour and it would be great to hear it in great quality!

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’m pretty sure it was shot on standard 576-line PAL video tape, which while technically “lossless” has resolution issues, like the washed-out faces as mentioned by Rontoon.

I don’t think the Genesis example is quite the same, they didn’t have the extra video footage so those bonus tracks are audio-only.

25. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Pit y they never tried Atom Heart Mother. Nick Mason does have it on his setlist

Philrock90 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.