Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Tonto Rides Again HDCD 1996 Viceroy Vintage

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Platterpus, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member Thread Starter

A seller on Discogs has this rare OOP CD for sale, a like new open copy with a punch hole in barcode. This CD rarely turns up used, especially at a low price like this. I paid more for my retail copy back in 1996-97. The CD is one of the earliest HDCD encoded CDs. This CD sounds great with or without the encoding as I have heard both. Nice meaty bass and other sonic textures makes this among one of the best electronic album compilations of all time. I don't have a subwoofer but this album will give your woofers a nice workout. Two albums on one CD, "Zero Time" and a slightly truncated version of the second album "It's About Time." There has never been a CD reissue of the original mix of the second album apart from a Euro CD that's a needledrop and an Amazon download of the same transfer. A beautiful CD with comments by Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo and Stevie Wonder:

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Tonto Rides Again

[​IMG]

black sheriff, hutlock and chazz101s like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Awesome record.

Platterpus likes this.
  3. hutlock

Awww what the hell. I just bought it. I've only ever had a CD-R of the first album and yeah, that was cheap.

Thanks for the heads up, @Platterpus

Platterpus likes this.
  4. Platterpus

@hutlock

No problem. Glad to be of help. I hope you enjoy the CD. If you haven't heard the second album you are in for a treat. It differs slightly from the original 1974 (Polydor) vinyl LP which was never released in the US. It was only issued in the UK and a couple Euro countries. The tracklisting on the second album was changed on this CD, as well as the track order, plus one song titled "Beautiful You" was omitted. Why this was done I have no idea. Maybe a licensing move? Below is the Discogs link for the original 1974 album with the original track titles and running order. The link below that is from a blog which breaks down the differences between the contents of this album compared to those on your CD you just bought. I certainly would like to see the original mix come out on CD as an official release but I doubt it will ever happen:

Tonto* - It's About Time

Orpheus Music: The Electronic Music Time Machine: TONTO's Expanding Head Band: A Synthesizer the Size of Nebraska

hutlock likes this.
  5. hutlock

Nice! Thanks a ton!

Platterpus likes this.
  6. hutlock

CD arrived yesterday. I read the notes but I have a long drive to upstate NY coming today so I'm saving it for the ride. Thanks again!

Platterpus likes this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the link. It had a difficulty to obtain my copy of TRA 10+ years ago. But i was rewarded.

Platterpus likes this.
  8. Platterpus

Update 6-16-2019:

The long OOP, T.O.N.T.O. twofer CD is up for sale again for a reasonable price used plus free shipping. This time it's the Limited Edition CD version that came out in 2006, as a private press and limited to 1000 copies worldwide. Plus the whole program is remastered by Malcolm Cecil himself. It also contains one extra song that was specially recorded for this particular CD reissue. More info in the links below along with the auction link at the bottom:

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Tonto Expanding Head Band
    Tonto's Expanding Head Band

Tonto's Expanding Head Band CD (2006) | eBay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    black sheriff likes this.
  9. Platterpus

Bull Moose has the long OOP, 1996 Viceroy Vintage CD of "Tonto Rides Again" by Tonto's Expanding Head Band for $5.97 Pre-owned plus shipping. This CD compiles both their albums on one CD using HDCD technology. This is a very good deal for this rare CD. I would buy it but I already own it:

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Tonto Rides Again

[​IMG]

micksmuse likes this.
  10. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I’m late. This one’s sold.

11. Platterpus

Sorry.

12. Platterpus

Another Tonto Rides Again CD for sale as a "buy it now" for $19.99 with no shipping fee. This is the US version of the Viceroy Vintage reissue from 1996. It does have a promo punch hole in the UPC code but it looks great otherwise. Most people know this CD is rare and in demand. The seller only ships to US locations. Good luck:

RARE 1996 TONTO'S EXPANDING HEAD BAND TONTO RIDES AGAIN ELECTRONIC JAZZ CD | eBay

13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I heard of this band many years ago but never heard them till now. First impression is it's the connective tissue between "Telstar"and "Trans Europe Express".

Platterpus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.