Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Yes when both groups are at different Mexican restaurants.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I grew up in the 60's as a child and my father had Jim Lowe's 45 version of Green Door, which we played a whole lot in that decade and beyond. My father was a part owner and PD for XEAK (The Mighty 690), which was a "border blaster" top 40 radio station based on the West Coast. He brought home a whole lot of 45's in the late 50's and early 60's by everybody from Elvis to Jim Lowe. I was really disappointed that they did not include Jim Lowe's stellar original version on the soundtrack album. Is is played during the movie at all?

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

No, the soundtrack version is played as the character was performing it on TV in the movie. I remember it being maybe 40-60 seconds tops.

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Where in that video does Ramos deconstruct Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? I skipped ahead hunting for it and it's all mainly what Ramos does as a support service agent for acquiring music. Nothing about why the songs were chosen.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The link provided is to an article that probably goes deeper into song decisions (I have not seen the video) Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’: Deconstructing the Soundtrack I believe someone here in the thread did the interview and it was well done... although I wanted to know more about their needle drops!

Carl80 and Paperback Writer like this.
  6. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

The actual record by Mr. Lowe was not played in the movie, as my post #146 explains I looked it up after I recalled hearing a cover of the song

That was prompted by Leo’s character singing the song in a scene in the movie.

Was the Mighty 690 where Wolfman Jack worked? If so, did he know him?

RSteven likes this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Where is it mentioned in this thread that someone here did the interview? The poster "Seque" out of Hawaii posted the YouTube video and didn't mention anyone's name.

8. Paperback Writer

Post#102

9. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Just saw it and California Dreaming was playing right after Sharon Tate had went and watched herself in the movies and they were showing all the movie theaters around town.

I have to say this movie was incredible. Nobody can do a movie like Tarantino when he is on his game. The pop culture was amazing.

I didn't want it to end!

Might have to spin this tonight!

José Feliciano - Feliciano!

10. Paperback Writer

Guess this song from the Movie , Valley of the Dolls, was to obvious to include, ( and probably not fitting any scene) but it makes my extended soundtrack!

GetHappy!! likes this.
  11. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Perhaps you didn't notice there are 2 links in my post. One linking to: Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’: Deconstructing the Soundtrack, written by an esteemed SHF member and then a second link to the video interview with Ramos.

On a side note Tarantino used to come into my LA record store fairly frequently in the 80's when he was still working at a video store in the area. He had a deep knowledge and interest in great music even back then. Now he has a virtual record store in his home, complete with bins!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  12. Paperback Writer

Here’s another gem that could help expand the Soundtrack, if that was ever proposed.

nstza, Mesozoic Mike and GerryO like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, my father was an early proponent of Wolfman Jack and he did indeed broadcast his shows on the Mighty 690. This is something I wrote about in the liner notes for John Klein's A Christmas Sound Spectacular that got released on a CD twofer by Real Gone Music last year. It was my father's favorite Christmas album and a really usual album on the RCA Living Stereo moniker. It featured the largest carillon in the world and a fantastic orchestra with some of the finest New York based studio musicians from 1959. The Wolfman never forgot about my father's early help in his career and come to see him many years later in the 90's, when my father was president of television station KTTY (Channel 69) in San Diego. The 69 designation was a pure coincidence, by the way. The original radio station was featured in the movie American Graffiti, but they got a few facts wrong in the movie of course. The Mighty 690 had sales offices in Los Angeles, but was actually broadcast out of San Diego. The transmitter was located in Tijuana, Mexico and broadcast at 50,000 watts, which was very rare for the times.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  14. Paperback Writer

Thanks, great story and info, awesome!

I became aware of some of the history when Americans Graffiti came out.

Than when I moved out to the West Coast, it had become an All Sports Station of note with”blowtorch”
    Level reception with”Hacksaw”, Rome, et all.

Here’s The Wolfman from another movie with a famed Soundtrack and featuring a music radio station, as well.

Now, we are here discussing a movie and soundtrack again, about 45 years later. LOL.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Guy Smiley, coolcreek and RSteven like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

They have it right here about the whole show being on tape as well. The Mighty 690 did not have the technical ability to do a live radio broadcast at that time. So, it least they got that part right. The actual broadcast studio was not in Los Angeles however, but instead was located in Mission Valley, a part of east San Diego.

Guy Smiley and Paperback Writer like this.
  16. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

17. Just saw this in a local chain store $69aud, I love it but $70 is just outrageous.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  18. Paperback Writer

Another song that would make my extended Soundtrack, this deep album cut from Tommy James+ The Shondells.
    Night Time (I’m A Lover)

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  19. Paperback Writer

Another deep album track for an extended OUATIH Soundtrack, this time by The Guess Who.

“When You Touch Me”

Tim Lookingbill and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

There's a podcast on Spotify where QT talks to David Wild about his choices for the soundtrack and he mentions that Sony (I think) made him a one-off two-LP set of songs from the era, just to let him know about all the great catalog stuff they had. Must be nice, eh?

21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Would love to know what the track list was!

22. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Awesome they used two Paul Revere songs

kronning and Paperback Writer like this.
  23. Paperback Writer

I say awesome! also.

You could say 3 ! - I’m counting THREE - post#1

kronning likes this.
  24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

For the extended soundtrack I feel like if their was ever going to be a song by Love in a movie it should have been in this one.

Something from Forever Changes should have made the cut

25. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This Buchanan Brothers track is the one I remember..."Medicine Man"...also from 1969 ,although I don't recall hearing it until 1971.

Bowie Fett and Paperback Writer like this.