Woodstock (1969) - movie discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

GREAT EXTRAS! then they hit us 5 years later with an all BD HD version! LOL I'm glad they did as this is the ultimate version so far...

2. Michael

any documented fact on this or are you wishful thinking? If you have a link I'd appreciate it! I like what you are saying!...

3. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

No!! That's what makes it special and unique and exciting. If you "full frame" it, you are going to have to cut off material from each side of the picture.

You are not one of these people that likes to cut off the top and bottom of a 4/3 ratio picture just so you can make it 16/9 are you?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

I decided to just get the upgraded BluRay sets without any of the extra stuff. It looks like the same stuff that’s in the 2009 case. $14 vs $30.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Since you're talking about something new that would compliment the original film, I'm not sure what the issue would be:

@sixtieswerebest isn't talking about just cropping the image from the original film, they are talking about a new edit that picks a single shot at a time.

All Down The Line likes this.
  6. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

There was a reply somewhere on the forum (possibly in this thread) from Bill Rush (who worked on the Director's Cut) confirming that there are no plans at WB to do any home video reissues of the film or bonus content.

7. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

In other words, make a whole new movie that takes out one of the innovations that made it so unique in the first place. Pass.

8. Michael

fair enough...

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's what was suggested in the first place:

That's already something totally different from the original film.

10. Michael

yes I read that as well, that's why I was surprised to read craymcla post...I was hoping it was true and in the works!

11. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Equally as bad. I'm almost finished reading "Woodstock: An Inside Look at the Movie That Shook Up the World and Defined a Generation", and I know how groundbreaking and difficult it was to put three images together on film at that time. And how much it added to the excitement of watching it, at least on the big screen. I'm certain that was one of the reasons the movie won an Academy Award for Best Documentary.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Leave the damn movie alone!
    It is what it is; a timepiece.

Lownotes, DougB217 and KimiAndRitz like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nobody is talking about changing the movie. The suggestion was to create something new to complement the original film.

semidetached and Warren Hawk like this.
  14. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Just to be a complete ass ... so the movie was released before the Festival (I think you mean 1970 lol) ? interesting lol ... :):):) Nothing wrong with a bit of fun while we wait lol

15. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

But that's my point (even if KimiAnd Ritz rained on my parade). It would not replace the movie. It would be an companion to it, much like the Woodstock Diaries were.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes...which is my point. And which is why there would be no particular reason to stick to the three pane format.

17. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Oops. Well I still had time to go back and fix that. Thanks for pointing it out.

18. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Scorsese worked on the original film. It's the only concert documentary to make scads of money at the box office too. Leave it alone.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nobody is suggesting changing it.

20. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

No I'm not at all. By full frame I meant the original aspect. The Woodstock wide screen is 2 full frame pictures next to each other, and the single shots are letterboxed in the middle, like the old guy talking about how nice the kids were at the beginning. The bonus material shows it how I would like. And Woodstock diary.

21. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

It would be cool to get new edits of some of the performances from the film. Especially, if it extends the song like the new cut of The Who's "We're Not Gonna Take It."

I think Sly & The Family Stone's performance is a good candidate for something like that. They could add "Love City" (from Woodstock Diaries) to the medley from the film.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  22. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Like a 7 hour performance based film.

23. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

There is a lot more than 7 hours :D

24. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I can't watch Woodstock too often.....I've maybe seen it 100 times....??? When I was a teenager, the closest Drive-In to me owned 3 movies that they showed when they didn't have anything rented.....The Blood Feast, Bonnie And Clyde, and Woodstock. I've watched Woodstock probably a dozen times on home video but who knows how many times at the Drive-In...???

McLover, timind, Lownotes and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.