“The Boys” from Eric Kripke and Amazon-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

wow. What a ride. A nice, dark and interesting adaption of the comic (which I’ve never read) focusing on the dark side of Superheroes.

Ordinary folks battling “good” Superheroes.

Well made, acted and written. I believe it’s already been approved for season two. A home run.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just started this. Big fan of Anthony Starr (Banshee).

GodShifter and wayneklein like this.
  3. wayneklein

He gives an awesome performance. Loved him in Banshee as well.

Brenald79 likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll start these tomorrow....

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Dark is being kind in describing this totally off-the-wall series (that scene with A-Train in the first episode-wow). It's also a refreshing take on the superhero genre. I'm in.

Chris DeVoe, EVOLVIST and wayneklein like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well...
    Like "Preacher", everyone's playing it too 'straight' for the comedy to breathe...
    So, after a couple of episodes, with me thinking, 'Isn't this really just a 21st century version of "Watchmen"?.....
    BOOM! Episode 4 SUCKS me in!
    now, I'm on board...
    Sadly, I doubt the 'message' they're getting across in Ep. 5 will get to anyone who needs it...
    They're just 'preaching to the converted'....(cough..)

Bender Rodriguez and Brenald79 like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Caught the 1st episode last night, I'll be watching the rest this week! Loved the obvious homage to Superman's origins (homage or rip-off?). I've always enjoyed 'what if' 'anti-Superman' stories, they've been doing it in the books 4ever! One of the best was written by Mark Waid, who wrote Kingdom Come (one of the best Superman writers ever, a movie studio oughtta hire him!). His 'rogue Superman' series was called Irredeemable, outstanding stuff!

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anthony Starr (Homelander) plays a great psychopath, like in Banshee. That final scene in episode 5 where he goes off script and is preaching to the crowd while levitating was something else!

bababooey and mark renard like this.
  9. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Finished it last night -- really great series. An usual for streaming series where there always seems to be some filler, I was hoping for more episodes.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. wayneklein

I quite agree. Tightly scripted (at least in my opinion)

11. wayneklein

It’s better than the homage that was in “Brightburn”.

12. wayneklein

I was trying to be polite but..yep...there is no dark side of The Boys...it’s all Dark”.

vince likes this.
  13. xennial

xennial Active Member

the trailer didnt look like the graphic novels which were great, is it worth signing up for?

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t like the name. But definitely a wtf type series,

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Agreed, BUT.....gottatellya, even though Brightburn is a B-level movie, I felt it was a breath of fresh air compared to the typical Marvel/DC product! An infant lands in a capsule in Kansas and is adopted by a farm couple, but this boy ain't no Clark Kent! Hoping for a sequel!;)

16. wayneklein

Well it felt like a breath of fresh air compared to DC. Marvel not so much as I think, overall, they’ve done a stellar job (there have been a few exceptions of course but their 20 film run has managed to have fairly high quality over all AND tie them all together into a core narrative that paid off with the last three films).

There’s nothing that’s been completed that has been quite as ambitious as these.

Lee Davis likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

You watched The Boys?

18. wayneklein

Never read the graphic novels so I can’t comment on that but it was fun.

19. alexpop

Couple of episodes via Netflix ( friends place ), pretty good I thought.

Brenald79 likes this.
  20. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Watched this on amazon over the last few days - got through it quick. Some pacing issues and a bit gratuitous on the violence and language front (the latter not a problem for me at all) but overall any fan of something like Preacher (I see they share some producers) will definitely love this.
    Set up very nicely for a second season as well.

vince likes this.
  21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It’s no Umbrella Academy, more like The Flash but with extra gore to make it seem different. It isn’t that different.

22. wayneklein

Actually it’s better than The Umbrella Academy which cribbed so much from Watchmen that it wasn’t even funny.I found TUA to be mediocre at best. On the other hand, the satire in The Boys is brilliant.

Chris DeVoe and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. wayneklein

You mean Amazon, right?

24. alexpop

One of them.

25. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

They are very different in tone - if Umbrella Academy is Wes Anderson, The Boys is Robert Rodriguez.

alexpop likes this.