GLOW - Netflix Series (6/23/2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jmobrien68, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Looks like Season 3 will be available on Netflix starting 8/9.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cratered out after season 1. I can't muster up much enthusiasm for S2 even though I love Alison Brie.

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You might consider giving s2 another chance. Brie and Gilpin are amazing and have a particularly powerful episode late in the season. Plus there's more good stuff with Marc Maron. The dude is terrific.

GodShifter and Leviethan like this.
  4. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

gotta decide-binge n one day or spread the enjoyment. can not wait!

misterbozz likes this.
  5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Watched season 3 over the weekend.

Very good and better than Season 2, IMHO. A bit “deeper” too.

mmars982 likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

My wife and I both LOVE season 1 & 2 - watched them multiple times - but pretty much hated season 3. Which was a big disappointment because we were so excited to have a new season. Where's the wrestling? Where's the funny? Where's the entertainment? The best episode was the one wrestling one and the 2nd best was the Christmas wrestling one. They burned way too much time instead of moving story along. What story they did have either went nowhere or bored us. It started getting much better in the 2nd half but they had already wasted the first half. Having everyone spilt off and be constant major downers was not a setup we enjoyed. The balance was way off in this season.

Season 1= 10/10
    Season 2= 10/10
    Season 3= 6/10

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. We love 30 minute episode shows as they are good to eat our dinner to. Before you judge we do not have a kitchen large enough or a dining room or a dinner table in the lounge. :p

Scopitone likes this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Loved Loved Loved seasons 1-2. So far, I have really struggled to make it through even ep 1 of season 3. I am going to have to revisit in a week or two.

rnranimal likes this.
  9. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Watched Season 3. Yes, very different from Seasons 1&2. Tended to focus more on Gay & Lesbian lifestyles/issues/prejudices than wrestling. Maybe that's how GLOW transitioned, I don't know. But for me, it seemed a bit off track compared to the previous seasons. Still finished watching it, though. Curious to see if it will come back for S4.

10. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Ultimately was a bit disappointed by S3. Entertaining enough, but more eye rolls than during the excellent S1 and the pretty good S2. A lot more sex and nudity than in S2. Geena Davis was a pleasant surprise. But where was Horatio Sanz all season???

rnranimal likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I really liked S3 because it wasn't just a rehash of the previous seasons (I'm looking at you Stranger Things). There was some real depth there and many of the characters were given their own stories to extend character development, especially Sheila the She-Wolf and Debbie (BTW, Betty Gilpin looked amazing this season, especially with 'no' makeup and non-big hair :)).

I think they set it up for another season pretty well with big changes to come. I'll be there.

Dan C, Crimson jon and Joshua Tree like this.
  12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Agreed about the set up, but seems like it'll rreeeaalllyyy get away from the show's original premise. I'd definitely watch it, but has there been an announcement that S4 is happening? I have no idea how well Glow has performed and seeing the Netflix has seemingly been a bit quick to cancel series lately, just curious if it'll come back. I think the way the last episode ended could work as a season or series finale.

rnranimal likes this.
  13. Strummergas

I'm digging it so far, about 4 episodes in. Considering they're in Vegas performing the same show/matches every night, they can't really just show that every episode, now can they?

Crimson jon and Trace like this.
  14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They didn't have to have them perform the same show every night.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I hope there's a S4 and I hope they can redeem themselves. I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through this season again. Which is a shame because we always rewatch the previous seasons when the new one comes out. This was our current favorite show. Very bummed it jumped the shark for us. Handmaid's Tale is the same way for the current season. We loved the first 2 and we haven't even kept up with this one because we dislike it so much. Our 2 favorite shows both took nosedives. Not a good TV year for us.

16. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I enjoyed Season 3 overall particularly the second half, but I can understand if the wrestling elements were the main draw this may not have been as much fun as the other seasons. I liked how they developed more of the other characters, although sometimes I wonder if they were trying to squeeze in too much give each something to do.
    I do hope they get a 4th season, but who knows -Netflix seems to be pretty ruthless after 3 series these days. But I think they'd want to keep on with a winner like this..

Deesky likes this.
  17. Strummergas

Well, you can always watch the "real" thing, I suppose.

Women Of Wrestling

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

For me, the worst part of the season were the 'wrestling' scenes at the end with the Christmas Carol shtick. That was truly cringeworthy and I was glad they mostly kept that type of stuff out. I'm much more interested in the character drama aspect.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  19. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I really enjoyed S3, possibly the best of the 3 seasons in my opinion. There was just enough of the wrestling for my taste and I loved the deep character development.

20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I watched a couple of the original episodes before. So bad. Glow tv series trying to be cheesy is nowhere near the cheesiness of the original.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, me too. I was really enjoying the bulk of s3 but wasting the first half of the final episode on a fairly witless and tiresome 'Christmas Carol' parody (wasn't that already done to death on TV shows by the late 80s?) really ruined the momentum.

I understand the writers' dilemma. They want to show the cast being bored silly by having to perform the same thing every night, but they can't actually show that lest they bore the show's audience. So the only time they can show them wrestling is when they either do the Christmas show or when they all switch roles. Honestly, I think the lesser of the available evils would be if they just hadn't shown any extended wresting scenes this season.

22. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Halfway through season 3, think it has held up to the high standard of the first 2 seasons (I'm also not really tuning in to actually watch wrestling....). Some really great, subtle acting from the three I consider the leads with Maron, Gilpin and Brie. All have mastered the look, eye roll, exasperation etc. that really form those characters

Crimson jon likes this.
  23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

To be clear. My complaint isn't about lack of actual wrestling. I haven't been a wrestling fan since I was a kid. I'm talking about the wrestling organization being what ties them all together and how that is the main story in which they interact with each other and around which all their personal stories revolve. But really, it wouldn't matter what the focus of the season was if I enjoyed it and was entertained. I liked some things. I liked the Justine script storyline. Wish they would've gone deeper and spent more time on that than all the stuff they beat to death that I found boring.

I only liked the Christmas wrestling stuff because I finally got to see Ruth doing Zoya.

Btw, why was Ruth seen in a bridesmaid outfit backstage one time? Doesn't she zip-line in dressed in her usual character outfit during the bouquet rumble?

And what happened with Cherry and her gambling addiction? Are we supposed to believe they won 5k in that mud wrestling match and she paid it off and cured her addiction? They never went back to that storyline, did they?

kouzie likes this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I mean glow season 3 is just like seasons 1 and 2. A bit too drama/ not too comedy breezy show that's easy to binge watch and also easy to forget. Only difference is some side characters are getting some interesting, albeit played out lately, self discovery stories. I like maron so as long as he's around I will get my 15 dollars a months worth.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, I was already a fan of Brie and Maron when the show was announced. I really didn't know Gilpin from anything other than 'Masters Of Sex.' Amazed at much she shines in this. The longer the show goes on, the more impressed I am by her work here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.