‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Unleaded gas, catalytic converters, and much tighter government laws against air pollution. Despite being better than it used to be, believe me, LA is still a very polluted city:

Bad air days on the rise: The nation's most polluted city is ...

Meanwhile, for people complaining that Tarantino veered too far away from reality and invented too many things for the movie, read this essay which praises the filmmaker for doing just that in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...

Quentin Tarantino’s history rewrites makes his movies fit the future

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Good post, but for all of Rick’s failings, not once does he screw over Cliff intentionally. They’re good friends throughout.

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree, with the possible exception of Rick giving Cliff his two week’s notice on the flight back from Italy.

What’s clear by the end, though, it’s that it’s Cliff who’s been propping up Rick all along, not the other way around. But that’s foreshadowed in the opening Bounty Law joint interview as well, when Cliff jokes but not really, “That’s what I do: carry his load.”

4. And California eventually led the nation into stricter auto emission requirements that helped the state and everyone else since the auto industry had to clean their act since California is so large.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We can assume that after the events of the ending, Cliff will keep his job indefinitely.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I disagree. I would say more, but ask me in the Spoiler thread elsewhere.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

What spoiler did that post reveal?

8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

"NOTHING exists before I was born." - Millennials

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

She's quite pretty:

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes she is, her little dance when she is about to get picked up by Cliff is adorable. Charlie is gonna like you. :)

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Could someone re post that link about QT talking about the soundtrack choices please ?

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember going to Disneyland in 1969 after moving here from Hawaii and my eyes teared all day long from the terrible smog.

California is the dirtiest state I’ve ever lived in. I’ve never lived in another state where this industrial Gritty grim forms on your car.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

OK, some people noticed little mistakes in song years, But it takes a real pro in some things to pick up on errors like this:

How was Leo making Good old fashion whiskey sours when he was drinking from this?

[​IMG]

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

She’s adorable

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  15. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I hope to take my 17-year-old son to see this film on Saturday. He's a bit more conversant on the 60s than most of his peers (he knows the Manson story, or at least a rough outline...heck he did his history project in school on the Zodiac killer) so it should be interesting to see his take on the film.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Feet Are to Tarantino as large-breasted women are to Russ Meyer.

yesstiles, Vidiot, Ghostworld and 2 others like this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yeah but Russ might have just been a good salesman, I'm not so sure what QT is on about.

Ghostworld, ex_mixer and GodShifter like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think there's something even more interesting going in how QT structured all the characters, and their late-60's LA pecking order. This movie could have been even more ambitious in its story in some ways. But QT was more interested in creating faux late 60's-inspired forgettable TV shows and B-movies for Rick/Leo to mug around in.

j_rocker and Ghostworld like this.
  19. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I lived in San Bernardino/Highland in the mid to late '70s and I think we only clearly saw the mountains about 10 days out of the year. In fact, there were times when we would drive up to Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead and as you look down on the valley you would see a blanket of greenish-brown haze. Good times.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Not sure if it has been dismantled/ replaced yet but as of last week Universal Studios tram tour went right through the old west set of this film.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Can anyone offer any tips, tricks, and training to watch a 2 hour, 40 minute movie in a theatre? I'm used to bathroom breaks, tea breaks, lunch breaks, subtitles, and quiet, isolated viewing.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Definitely have to use the bathroom before it starts. And I still had to go again about an hour and a half in, which I did (during Rick's big starring turn as "the heavy" in the saloon, when he and the other guy have the Mezcal).

Somehow, I managed to not have to leave during Avengers: Endgame's 3 hour, 2 min runtime in the theater. Movies are too f'n long nowadays, lol.

joemarine and dead of night like this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I was worried about that too. But I curtailed drinking liquids a couple of hours before the show and made sure to use the washroom beforehand.
    As for quiet, the audience members made no undue noises or commotion. Subtitles not needed, the dialogue was very clear, as opposed to other films I've seen.

dead of night likes this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Wait until it comes out on home video - the 4-hour version. (Could be a couple years from now, though.)

Was just posted on the Spoiler thread:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD Actor Confirms Potential 4-Hour Cut For Netflix

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Buy the theater out at a dine-in type deal?

dead of night likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.