Tenet - Jul 17-2020 - Christopher Nolan (2024 IMAX reissue on pp. 31-32)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, May 22, 2019.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Christopher Nolan's New Film Reveals Cast and Title

It's called 'Tenet' — let the speculation begin.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Kenneth Branagh and Michael Caine have joined the cast of Christopher Nolan’s latest movie, Warner Bros. said Wednesday.

Dimple Kapadia and Clémence Poésy, the French actress who may be best known to American audiences for playing Fleur Delacour in the Harry Potter movies, have also joined the production, whose title has been revealed as Tenet.

John David Washington is leading the international cast that also includes Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki. Tenet is described as an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Tenet is being filmed in seven countries, using a mix of Imax and 70mm film.

Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

The below-the line team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Tenet has a release date of July 17, 2020.

2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I'm in. Not every Nolan film has been perfect for me but he's still one of the only mainstream filmmakers working today who I always make sure to check out his new work.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm in too. There hasn't been a Nolan film yet that isn't worth seeing.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

A Bond/Mission Impossible movie it sounds like. Great!

bherbert and longdist01 like this.
  5. Deuce66

If anyone is seeing Hobbs & Shaw, a teaser trailer for Tenet was released today.

bherbert and Ghostworld like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So.... it's NOT the Neil Tennant Story?.........

Chilli and bherbert like this.
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. Just got back from Hobbs & Shaw and they showed the teaser for Tenet, along with Rambo, Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker, the next Kingsman movie (origin story set in WWI), and another WWI story called 1917.

bherbert and Deuce66 like this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Next to the Coen brothers, the Nolan brothers are my favorite director/writers working today. Really excited to see this.

lahtbp, bherbert and vegafleet like this.
  9. Deuce66

bherbert likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

We don't know enough about Tenet so it's still unclear. But I think most of Nolan's movies have common themes, imagery and narratives to the point that one could argue each is an oblique sequel or prequel to the other. These themes include blurring the lines between reality and imagination, a child estranged from the parent/s, a paradox symbolized by a child's toy, etc.

Sure, the dark knight trilogy was the only true string of sequels. But they had much in common with Prestige, which had much in common with Inception, which had much in common with Interstellar. They're all connected. I suspect Tenet is another of these.

bherbert and enro99 like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If it does, I really don't want to find out about that until I see it. I guess I'll just try and avoid reading about this movie. I'm going to see it regardless, so I can go in knowing nothing other than its a Nolan picture. That's good enough for me.

bherbert likes this.
  12. Deuce66

A prologue is being attached to IMAX screenings of Star Wars.

[​IMG]

First ‘Tenet’ Images Tease Christopher Nolan’s “Most Ambitious Film” Yet

“We’re jumping off from the point of view of an espionage film, but we’re going to a number of different places,” explains the director of the blockbusters Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, and the Christian Bale-starring Batman trilogy. “We’re crossing a few different genres in a hopefully exciting and fresh way. [Producer] Emma [Thomas] and I have put together a lot of large-scale productions, but this is certainly the biggest in terms of international reach. We shot in seven countries, all over the place, with a massive cast and huge set pieces. There’s no question, it’s the most ambitious film we’ve made.”

bherbert, budwhite and SRC like this.
  13. Deuce66

First trailer.

[​IMG]

14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Trailer looks awesome. Nolan is so far up my alley that I need to start charging him rent.

bherbert likes this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'll be looking forward to it for sure.

bherbert likes this.
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I feel lukewarm about this movie after watching the trailer.

bherbert likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Q:"What happened here?"

A:"Hasn't happened yet"?

It's going to be one of those you better pay attention or be lost in space movies.

Stormrider77 and bherbert like this.
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

The bit with the car and the ships indicates that there would be much more to the film than just mere action.

bherbert likes this.
  19. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Great! I love Charles Trenet! Oh, wait.......

alexpop and bherbert like this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I didn't even finish the trailer cited earlier in this thread . . . because I already liked it so much I was afraid that watching the rest of the trailer might give away too much. If it reaches the heights of Inception, or even approaches it, it would be a great movie.

bherbert likes this.
  21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

When Washington takes the pill at the train yard I wonder if he died? Or did he travel through time? Or was he transported back in time while sleeping and woken up? So many questions.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

At this point, I trust Nolan.

Saw the "prologue" before an IMAX screening of "Rise of Skywalker" last night and figured out it was for "Tenet" pretty quickly even though there's no introduction/credit at the start.

Nolan's style is pretty obvious! :)

Yovra likes this.
  23. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I recently rewatched Memento and it also starts with a curious scene of a polaroid photo being shaked in reverse from fully developed image into a black piece of paper. Movie as such is great. Despite being one of his earliest works, I really recommend it.

vegafleet likes this.
  24. Deuce66

The budget on this movie is MASSIVE $200-225 million + an expected nine figure marketing campaign!!

Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet' to Cost More Than $200 Million

Christopher Nolan‘s new action movie Tenet will cost more than $200 million, sources tell Collider in the wake of a Variety story that pegged the number at an eye-popping $225 million — and that’s before a nine-figure marketing campaign.

Nolan is, of course, one of the few people on the planet who could command such an enormous budget for an original movie that isn’t based on a popular IP. Collider’s sources put the number at $205 million — at least — which isn’t to cast aspersions toward Variety’s report, but simply confirms the trade’s conclusion that the budget is, without question, north of the $200 million milestone. Interestingly enough, the trade later revised its number to $205 million without noting any kind of update.

alexpop likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Supposedly a smaller budget than Irishman. Nolan is much better at directing enormous sets and armies of extras, so it's money well spent. I'm pleasantly surprised he can command that kind of investment from the studio without DiCaprio attached to the film. Looking forward to Tenet. Nolan has the strongest run of films of any working director.

enro99 likes this.