‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Matthew Tate and notesfrom like this.
  2. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and notesfrom like this.
  3. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I saw this today and am no fan of the director or the leads, but I will say imo this is the best picture so far for 2019. The tension created in this film was masterful … and then all the tension at the end was released and we all left with a smile on our faces, kind of a rarity these days imo.

I have no idea what late '60's LA was like, but this film managed to paint a picture as I had imagined it might be; it created a vibe.

I found this film incredibly uplifting; an instant classic.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I went to the bathroom a couple of times during the film. Is it ever actually made clear that Manson, shown briefly early on in the film looking for Terry Melcher, and then never seen again, is the leader of the hippies at the Spahn Ranch, and that’s why the four of them pick that house to go to? I’m not sure people would get that if they didn’t know anything about the history.

5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

yeah, I coulda swore it was Dewey Crowe :D

6. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

RunPee: app that gives you the best times to run and pee during a movie.

HAHA LOL... Get the RunPee app for your cell phone ...according to the app.....start your timer when the SONY logo zooms in and you have FIVE pee breaks of about 4 minutes and 35 seconds each without missing any major plot points plenty of time to pee, get a snack or do laps in the lobby.

Chris DeVoe, hbbfam and dead of night like this.
  7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I had no problem the first time but I did not prepare well the second time.
    I went to the men's room when Cliff woke up Spahn and got him talking then back before the conversation was over.

just came across this

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

My old neighbors moved here from LA. I asked my friend why his father moved from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale, he told me it was because of the smog.

That was in 1956.

Vidiot, Matthew Tate and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow! Good find!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Spahn should have been Sean Connery.

Ghostworld and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That was twenty years before they started putting smog control on cars here, and it was a lot worse then.
    Now it's a whole lot better unless you live in the inland empire or near the foothills where the smog gets trapped.
    The closer you live to the coast, you have better air quality, in the south bay we get an ocean breeze that cools things
    down and keeps the air relatively clean.

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would agree with that, having been to L.A.

But, having been to L.A., air quality would the least of my concerns.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Should we just abandon the Spoiler thread at this point?

This has become Spoiler Ranch. :)

Givin' it all away...

Matthew Tate and ex_mixer like this.
  15. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Merge the two threads, I say.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Burt Reynolds was the first choice and that would have been great.

joemarine, chacha, GodShifter and 2 others like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh it’s fun man. Lots of creative stuff goes on. I went to a seance at the Roosevelt Hotel on Halloween to try and bring Harry Houdini’s ghost back. That kind of stuff. Crazy. My favorite video store before it was closed was called “Mondo video a gogo ” and had videos of every bizarre biker, grindhouse Italian Gore fest conspiracy fetish and I don’t know what else — on file. it was The best I’m surprise Tarantino never mentioned it but then he worked at his own video store

SandAndGlass and GodShifter like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My expertise on Charles Manson is the tom Snyder Charles Manson interview the tape I’ve used it in various ways in audio projects and video projects so I’ve heard it 1 million times and I have to say that I agree with Charles Manson’s assessment that Vincent Bugliosi drew this grand “Helter skelter” Master plan out o what was probably nothing more than the bragging of some racist, prison-raised car thief. You know, the kind of race infused hatred and dumb talk that goes on in prisons. But really what the real score was: he had those girls whacked out enough on drugs and fear and sex that he got them to go carry out his own vendetta without picking up a gun or a knife himself. Why is he mythic? well in a way he’s almost Shakespearean in the Svengali like depth of his villainy. A harem of killer hippie chicks Kind of sounds like kill Bill.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

As little time as Dern was allotted would it have mattered that much? Throw Terence Stamp into the mix. Hell, even DeNiro.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Wow, that was very well put. I’ve read a ton about Manson but nothing put quite that way. ::: applause :::

My first exposure to Manson was the Snyder interview as well. As a young kid, he was scary and seemed like pure evil. In reality, he was a con man and a fraud.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

If there had never been a Charles Manson, Quentin Tarantino would've had to create him.

Ghostworld and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think he was gonna do it but passed away.

Carl80, SunSon, Ghostworld and 3 others like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Manson was a singular entity due to the time he was released from Terminal Island and the burgeoning counter culture movement that was struggling to the surface. The perfect con man getting out at the perfect time. Yet, he wasn’t the first to use his personality and rap to ensure a group or select individuals ready for something radically different. See Clyde Barrow, Ma Barker (Alvin Karpis was a prison mate of his), or the Children of God.

Yet, he was one of the first of the major “cult” leaders that others would emulate. Jim Jones, David Koresh, and Marshall Applewhite followed his example to some extent. If Manson never existed, Jones or Koresh or some other con would have (or some facsimile thereof).

Preying on weak minded individuals is not a new thing in US history or history in general.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Correct.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.