Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Does the overhang gauge come with the mk7?

2. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

Unfortunetaly, the gauge isn't included:(

3. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

The platter is flat but weighs "only"1.8 kgs instead of 3.6 for the GAE
    I would advice to replace the mat with a cork one to retrieve more detail

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Strange... so then how do they instruct you to mount a cartridge? :confused:

IRG likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

[​IMG]

roxy17 likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ha... so it’s the same instruction, you just have to figure out how to measure it on your own... honestly not that big a deal if you have a digital calipers, but it seems silly for them to skimp on a $6 accessory as part of achieving the lower price... (though I guess you can also just buy the $6 gauge separately...).

displayname likes this.
  7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Thanks for the Mk7 review thus far, Lizee. Please feel free to add further thoughts as they occur to you.

It also sounds like from what you're saying that there isn't all that big a gulf between the Mk7 and the 1200GAE in terms of overall sound quality. Is that correct?

If so, that would make the Mk7 a shockingly great buy. :eek:

8. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

To Big Blue I'd like to add the listening is still achieved on connecting one magnesium Ortofon headshell to the Ortofon red cadenza cartridge.
    Therefore no need this tool But even when using the original headshell I'm not used to measuring by that tool : I move forward the cartridge at the maximum.
    For instance with the sumiko blackbird or evoIII

9. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

To cyclone Ranger I can confirm this TT can be improved by replacing several things (Cfr as Michael Fremer stated when he reviewed the GAE in march 2017)You certainly get what you paid for and can improve at your own rhythm.

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

So you don’t set a certain overhang, you just put the cartridge all the way forward, and use whatever alignment that gives you? Am I understanding that correctly?

11. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

So far, if I understand anything correctly, the Mk7 is pretty good, a worthy successor perhaps. And at the A$1k point, may be the best TT going right now. Only two other tables I'm considering in this range, the P3 and the StudioTracker, a bit more at $1299. I don't know enough about the Schiit to even consider it.

12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

So, you... Don't know Schiit? :laugh: ;)

13. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I really don't know Schiit, you're right!

JediJoker likes this.
  14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

The P3 is $945 sans cartridge.

15. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Right. P3 = $945, StudioTracker - $1199, sl1200MK7 = $999, before any discounts/negotiating. The ATVM540ML seems like my leading cart, not sure if it works well with all three turntables, but it seems to, so the P3 and the AT VM540ML is the best value overall, with the Technics close behind.

16. dcr

dcr Well-Known Member

I'm not the right person to provide details reviews, but I have a MK7 and all impressions are great. It replaced a MK2 with "aging" (putting it mildly) tonearm bearings that I was done fiddling with. I had an early pre-order so I've had it about a month now, listen daily and I've had no issues. Compared to the MK2 the buttons are slightly less solid as widely reported, but still nice, nothing that bothers me. The feet have nice damping too them. I don't use any of the DJ features.

Using the same nagaoka mp-110 and cork mat on both tables and if there's a difference in audio quality it's more subtle than I can detect. Both are excellent but the parts for MK2's have become unobtanium. No regrets.

17. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Uhmm, NO. Use a protractor or the Technics overhang gauge. Frankly, I am very surprised Technics did not include an overhang gauge in the box. Perhaps they left it out by accident?

roxy17 and McLover like this.
  18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I just checked and it's not listed as included on the Mk 7 nor the 1500C.

snorker likes this.
  19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Wow, I’m surprised! Apparently it is not included. Check out the manual. How the heck do they expect people to measure 52mm without it?!

20. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

This is Technics way of introducing a new generation of people into using something tangible, for some, maybe, the first time in their lives outside of grade school. Luckily they will Google it and find someone wrote a 3-d printable version of the guage, have it produced and shipped direct to their door in two days. Others just may hit Ikea and steal the free measuring strips. I bet a bunch will print a ruler out on their printer.

Maybe the smart ones will find a downloadable protractor they can print out, cut out the whole to place on the spindle, and get the exact overhang correct by going off the spindle. Then they’ll freak that the Technics alignment ISN’t Baerwald or Stevenson.

Then they’ll find this place...good stuff.

Hey, just remembered.. Does the 45 adapters for Technics, just like Kenwood and Pioneer back in the day, have a indention on it for alignment? I have two used Technics but they never came with the 45 adapter, but the Kenwood sure does.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  21. U-96

U-96 Active Member

I am glad these first reviews are positive. It’s nice to see the legendary mk-series back.

Mk7 owners- I’ve read that the dust cover is not hinged. Is it “easy” to put on and off? I just would hate accidentally hitting the tonearm.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  22. U-96

U-96 Active Member

Regarding the cartridge alignment, I am lazy and avoid the problem by using integrated cartridges/headshells like the Ortofon Concorde series (I have the mix mk2). I know that they are meant for DJ, but do they sound a lot worse than, say, an Ortofon Blu?

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Get one of these Concordes from KAB with the 30 or 40 stylus. “Audiophile” sound in the Concorde body. These are superior to the 2M series IMO.

24. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Do not those styli also fit the 2M bodies?