Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

If I win the Loto, or just a bunch of money, I want to have this experience. It would be like Christmas!!

Fender Relic and alarickc like this.
  2. I happy to see that the $800 Woodstock Box is sold out so I'm no longer tempted. That's about 14 or so MMJs instead :tiphat:

3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I need to wait a bit before my next order in an effort to try and be a responsible adult, but here are the titles I'm thinking of for my next batch. Input would be fantastic!

Indestructible
    Fuchsia Swing Song
    Congregation
    Star Bright

The latter two are largely due to the low price, but I would replace them for a single knockout that I don't have if justified. That's where you guys come in....

Here are others I don't have but have considered at some point - would be interested to know if I should replace Star Bright & Congregation with any single one of these:

Us Three
    Blue & Sentimental
    Our Man in Paris
    Tom Cat

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. Out of the 8 you mentioned my favorites are:
    1) Fuchsia Swing Song
    2) Blue & Sentimental
    3) The Congregation

I have not heard Tom Cat or Star Bright

Joti Cover and musictoad like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They're all great, really. Of all those, I'd put Congregation and Star Bright lowest on my list of priorities. Our Man in Paris, of course, is widely considered a classic. Blue & Sentimental has a smoky, bluesy, late night feel that's to die for. Us Three has some of Parlan's best, funkiest, most unique style. Tom Cat has explosive post-bop from some of the best in the game, with Blakey on drums, Tyner on piano, Cranshaw on bass, and Jackie McLean in the front line. Glad I could help you narrow it down, lol.

Joti Cover, mikeyt, DeRosa and 3 others like this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Unfortunately imho us three, blue and sentimental, our man in Paris and Tom cat are all essential lol. Sorry for your wallet

mikeyt, Gabe Walters and musictoad like this.
  7. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

To throw something else out there, Evolution has almost sold out and is certainly worth the scratch before it's gone. There are too few MM pressings with trombone.

Dmann201, NorthNY Mark, Stu02 and 7 others like this.
  8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favorites of the series! Grab it if you don't have it!

NorthNY Mark and alarickc like this.
  9. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hank Mobley (1568) is up and playing as I continue my Music Matters odessey. That fat mono sound again. Anyone who has a batch of these MM titles is very lucky indeed.

Bryce, Dmann201, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  10. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

The Mobley has the lovely Music Matters presents catalog inside - cool to read what they were planning that never came to fruition:

Lou Donaldson - Wailing With Lou, Swing & Soul
    Hank Mobley - Hank
    Lee Morgan - City Lights, The Cooker
    Sonny Rollins- A Night At The Village Vanguard
    Bennie Green - Back On the Scene
    Stanley Turrentine - That’s Where It’s At
    Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
    Donald Byrd - Blackjack

I would have bought all of those- oh well.

They thank everyone who believed in the power of music too - amen to that

Elofan, DeRosa, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like Congregation more than the other Blue Note Griffin's, so for the price its hard to beat.

I'm more familiar with your bottom four choices. I thought Blue and Sentimental was sold out, but if not, its a must. Grant & Ike together is a fantastic late night smoky vibe. Also Our Man in Paris might be my favorite Dexter. They come out of the gate swinging on a Charlie Parker cover, and the rest is solid all around.

musictoad likes this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I wonder if Sonny got the axe because the recording isnt so good, maybe charging $50 for a lower fi live tape trumped the quality of the music? I dont have any MM live albums, how do those hold up?

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'd replace your last 2 with either Blue & Sentimental or Our Man In Paris.

AllenR and musictoad like this.
  14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I would run, not walk, to get Fuchsia Swing Song before it's gone (just listened to it last night and it sounds soooo sweet). And I would substitute Blue & Sentimental for the two cheaper ones...such an insanely soothing experience. I'd take Evolution third -- I know it's not on your list but I just couldn't sleep tonight if I didn't recommend it :D

NorthNY Mark, Bryce, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just picked up a UA copy of this and it sounds pretty darn good, but a MMJ version would've smoked!

Bryce likes this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Already got it, one of my favorites!

alarickc and timzigs like this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If Fuchsia Swing Song is available, grab it.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I believe it has been stated that unfortunately Elvin Jones' cymbals were recorded so poorly that it could not and will not be considered. Great album though.

Joe Harley likes this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Fuchsia Swing Song without hesitation!

Dmann201 likes this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Tom Cat has been on my watch list for the longest time. I have a 2006 BN LT versions that doesn't sound half bad but it's most likely digital. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea this record had all these great players.
    :hide:

So, I threw my copy on for a few spins and dissected every inch of it. Truly some great playing here and a nice variety in tempo among the tracks. Love the energy and voices on "Twice Around". Morgan's tone on "Twighlight Mist" is sublime. And "Rigormortis" is right up there with one of my favorite jazz tracks. And that trombone...it just has a way of providing the perfect finishing touch to the songs.

Of course, my latest shipment w/ Real McCoy, Freedom, Another Workout, and Like Someone to Love, shows up today...but no Tom Cat :cry:. I guess it's back to the well...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  21. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Just put in my order for Night Dreamer, JuJu and Afro Cuban 45 RPM, can't wait!

22. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yes. My favorite Turrentine. I hope they do it with Tone Poet.

Joe Harley and mpayan like this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I would put Evolution at the top of list and then Fuchsia.... just sayin’

Bryce, Dmann201 and alarickc like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Perhaps Tone Poet will do these.

Joe Harley likes this.
  25. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers - mono Music Matters again. Horace is / was my favourite Jazz pianist. I love this record - 1955 and what a sound

RobCos02330, AaronW, alarickc and 2 others like this.