Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Will it get U.S. distribution?

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

IMDB currently lists premiere dates for "A Rainy Day in New York" for 8 countries, starting with The Netherlands in August. Considering the litigation it doesn't seem the likeliest candidate to show up on Amazon Prime after that.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A Rainy Day In New York ( 2019) Excellent trailer !!!!

Looks like he has another comedy in production ( unknown title).I would imagine a 2020 release date for this one.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

What’s almost as much fun as a trailer? How about a new Woody Allen movie poster?
    [​IMG]

5. RayS

Coming soon to a theater a continent away from you. :)

smilin ed and mrjinks like this.
  6. RayS

The 2020 movie has a title - "Rifkin's Festival", and a release date (1/17/20), for whatever those are worth.

"A Rainy Day in New York" was released about a week ago, in Poland.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. mrjinks

And is #2 at the box office behind Lion King. :)

RayS likes this.
  8. RayS

A figure no doubt boosted by the hardcore fans making the trek from other places.

You and I are clearly slacker fans!

mrjinks likes this.
  9. RayS

mrjinks likes this.
  10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Hopefully this will get a physical release... somewhere.

vivresavie and RayS like this.
  11. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

Woody is one of my favorite movie makers, but one of my favorite movies was one in which he was just an actor. It's called the Front which was a story about the mccarthy days where lots of people in hollywood were black listed

12. mrjinks

I’m told that “A Rainy Day In New York” is an in-flight option on American Airlines these days.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the film has now “leaked” to those who have no issues watching films on the sly!

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

"One two-hour round trip ticket to anywhere please."

14. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

:laugh:

15. mrjinks

[​IMG]

maui jim and RayS like this.
  16. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

It's in cinemas finally here in Austria. I hope to catch an undubbed screening next monday. (I live in a small town. Undubbed movies are rare and once a week for two weeks.)

mrjinks and RayS like this.
  17. RayS

My flight just landed!

Happy to report that I found "A Rainy Day in New York" quite enjoyable. It's breezy, a bit screwball-comedy-esque, occasionally witty, and there are a few legitimate laugh out loud moments (at least for me). Elle Fanning was excellent. There are those occasional moments when we hear 20-somethings talking like an 80-year-old man, but they are few and far between. A worthwhile addition to the sometimes spotty 21st century canon, IMO.

18. mrjinks

I’m thinking a Friday Night Flight will suit me (suffering from a nasty cold today)...

RayS likes this.
  19. RayS

Have a good flight - ask for the complimentary peanuts! Think a better "Anything Else" with a touch of the not-so-bright characters from "Bullets Over Broadway" and "Mighty Aphrodite", and a breezier version of "Celebrity". And little bits of this film and that film to boot. I'm going to fly again soon!

20. mrjinks

Anything “Anything Else” may necessitate airsickness bags for me - aside from Dobel, that film is the nadir for me (your “Alice”, so to speak)...

RayS likes this.
  21. RayS

The male lead is more Holden Caulfield than Jason Biggs (or whatever his character name was - since he played exactly the same character in "Orange is the New Black" I just assume that's who he IS) and the female lead is much more likeable than Christina Ricci's character (maybe more like the female lead in "Whatever Works", but smarter).

Of course you may have a completely different experience than I had - depends on the flight. :)

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Really enjoyable film, funny, subtle, not tendentious as it could have been. Zero Mostel was terrific in a tragic role. Woody's not a great actor by any means but his nebbishy qualities were put to excellent use.

23. mrjinks

The critics have it right, IMO. A 44 on Metacritic seems fair to me.

I thought Chalamet was awful. He just never seemed remotely believable to me. Part of the problem lies with Woody; most of the jokes were terrible. Just watch the scene with him and Selena:
    “Amy never heard the news that Lincoln was shot”
    “ You’re not going to start singing Gigi are you?”
    [Topic: Arizona]
    “What do you guys talk about - cactus?”
    “Don’t get lost in the desert and die of thirst ... don’t fall in the Grand Canyon, it’s really deep”​
    Jesus!?! Woody used to create clever dialogue, and that scene is a series of “jokes” that great grand-dad could tell better...

Some stuff works: the “laugh” is great. The “hooker”, the “director”, the background jazz music, and Selena are good. There’s the occasional FUNNY joke, but they’re few and far between. Nice cinematography but that’s about the best I can say. I’d rank it in his bottom half-dozen films.

RayS likes this.
  24. RayS

Thanks for the review. I definitely liked it better than you did. I guess I don't expect great wit in the "banter" sequences, at least not in the last 20 years. One or two of the plot elements were ludicrous (like the big reveal for the mom), but I actually knew people in New York just like most of these people (including the male lead character) so a lot of it rings truish, if not true. :)

mrjinks likes this.
  25. mrjinks

In the credits:
    “With special thanks to Willie Mays”​
    :confused::confused::confused:

I think I noticed a pic of Willie in Gatsby’s apt/college dorm - is that what that credit’s for?

RayS likes this.