Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. miguelfcp

miguelfcp Well-Known Member

I remembered reading here that normalize to -0.3 dB could produce clipping so the ideal value should be -3 dB

BrilliantBob likes this.
  2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

-1 dB

Badger likes this.
  3. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

Regarding how much headroom to leave with normalization, there's no substitute for digital metering tools that show you the "True Peak" value of your material. So long as always stay under 0 dBTP, you're golden. Have a look here for more useful info.

I typically master to -16 LUFS while being mindful of true peak values.

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

There's a new player in town Merging Technologies Anubis Merging Technologies -

Dynamic range of 139db I have my demo scheduled might be 2 weeks out. Will be interesting.

FrankieP likes this.
  5. miguelfcp

Guys I need your help.

If you download the music I've uploaded and then play it you can note that in the first second of the music you can listen a kinda of metallic sound. That sound sometimes is too noticeable along the music.

How can I remove that crap sound without compromising the quality ?

MEGA

6. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

I’m interested! Thanks for the link.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Are you using any processing?

8. miguelfcp

Yes I've used Declick (1.5), Decrackle (5.0), De-hum and spectral de-noise.

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

A demo of 139dB dynamic range? How will they fit the jet engine in the anechoic chamber?

Robert C, ghost rider and stetsonic like this.
  10. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

C'mon, 14.6 LUFS, 14.36 RMS? It's like a cheap CD mastering. Your sample is very noisy and loud. I made some processing and now it sounds better, IMHO. True peaks: L -3.79 dB R -3.88 dB. Dynamic Range 12!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf7gp5080rx3xep/02.03 Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus.wav?dl=0

miguelfcp and arisinwind like this.
  11. Grant

My experience is that se-noising can cause this if overused. But, i've also experienced this when a file is out of phase.

I can't tell you what the problem is but these are a couple of hints for where to look.

arisinwind likes this.

12. I think you have too much noise reduction going on. What program are you using? I would declick then take a sample of inter-track noise and reduce it. If your program allows you to hear just the noise being removed you can tell how much it impacts the music. A LITTLE noise reduction goes a long way. A lot of noise reduction ruins the music.

miguelfcp and jamesc like this.
  13. miguelfcp

Wow, it really sounds good! How did you do that?

The thing is that this noise is already present before any processing.

I'm using iZotop Rx 7 software. Like I said above the issue was already present before any modification.

14. Grant

So, if it's in the recording or source, there may be nothing you can do about it other than try spectral editing.

15. miguelfcp

How I captured the data was like this:
    I connected a jack cable to the phones output of my amp (NAD C328) to the line in input of my PC.
    Captured with audacity at 192khz.
    The volume of the amp was at 0.0dB and line input was 33% and audio captured never went up than -6dB.

16. Grant

It doesn't matter what level you captured the sound at, but there is a better way to get the audio than to use phone jacks. Ground loop hum is one of them. Sure you can correct it with software to a degree, but it's far better to not have it introduced at all.

You should also remove the DC offset and, again, correct the phase.

ghost rider, miguelfcp and arisinwind like this.
  17. harby

harby Forum Resident

There's your problem. The headphone out is a reduced-volume version of the speaker amplifier output, and is for driving headphones. The owner manual lists the output impedance as 11 ohms, but typically it would be about 300 ohms, creating a mismatch with RCAs or line level equipment.

Since this integrated amplifier has no record-out or tape-out, if you want passable recordings, you may need to opt for a separate phono preamp. Probably the cheapest that would give you good quality would be a TCC TC-750, or a used ART DJ Phono Pre II.

The line-in of laptops can be pretty bad, but sometimes acceptable, but better in an add-on PC sound interface designed for quality instead of convenience.

ghost rider and arisinwind like this.
  18. miguelfcp

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try that! ;)

19. miguelfcp

I know that phone jack is not the best way. But I don't want to spend money for this. I just want to use some vinyl records while I'm working. I'm not using a laptop and yes a desktop. My desktop has a line in input (blue icon).

20. miguelfcp

Removed DC offset with audacity. Improved just a little.

Grant likes this.
  21. TonyUK

TonyUK Active Member

Something I have learned is to ensure I leave enough silence after the final track side A during editing. Otherwise I had 1st track side B starting too abruptly after final track side A finished.

22. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I know you said you don't want to spend any money but you could try a phono stage with a usb out something like this Pro-Ject AD Box S2

And record strait to your computer. You could pick one up local and see if it solves your issue.

23. miguelfcp

arisinwind by software just removed the weird sound I mentioned. I don't want to spend so much money on a pre-amp. At least by now.

I just want to know how he done it and I would be satisfied.

24. miguelfcp

25. Grant

You get what you pay for.

Sound processing has improved in modern motherboards over the years, but you'll probably have to get a board made by one of the major motherboard companies like Asus, Gigabyte, or msi, despite the audio processing chip being made by the same manufacturer. If you have something like a Dell, all bets are off as to quality. And, using a headphone jack would also lead to the chance of getting a DC offset, as will the software you use.

Many boards have optical digital interfaces. If your amp has one, you could simply use a short Toslink fiber-optic) cable. This would even eliminate any RF interference, and better S/N, and even provide a flatter frequency response. Some provide a coax connector. Even this would be better than using the outs of a headphone jack.

If all you're doing is making non-critical drops for listening to at work, no need to worry about this stuff, I guess. But, if you are like many of us who want quality backups for archiving or listening to on a quality playback system, then one might want to investigate getting a better outboard AD/DA card.

miguelfcp likes this.