Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's actor Damian Lewis who is in "Billions" and was in "Band of Brothers". I don't think they had to do much with him other put a wig on him. He looks a lot McQueen. Or close enough, anyway.

[​IMG]

That's him^

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’ll happily wear my new Hawaiian shirt instead.

3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yeah, that's pretty darn spooky. Eyebrows are different
    and they added his cheek beauty mark somehow. It's too
    bad much of the audience isn't familiar with some of these
    old actors.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  4. TheDailyBuzzherd

Not on my bucket list, I'll tell you for sure.
    Lennon once described LA as a,

"... great place to stop for a burger."

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. TheDailyBuzzherd

One intriguing detail I learned was Manson appeared at Cielo Drive in person.
    I didn't know that, or at least I'd forgotten. I read Bugliosi's book in '77 or so
    and it still gives me chills ... and not in a good way.

We still don't know the full reach of The Family. Seems a good chunk of its
    "income" was had in grand theft auto.

As far as Young, who knows? I kinda doubt it. But he did bother to record
    "Ambulance Blues", so Manson definitely struck a chord. Literally.

BTW, Manson in performance is eerily similar to David Crosby. He did have
    talent. It would have been interesting to watch him handle fame, but of course
    without his infamy for comparison, this notion is rather silly.

I think Manson suffered from a bad case of short person behavior.

In the meantime, I've been looking to watch Tate's "Eye of the Devil". It doesn't
    get good ratings but I was simply curious. Since Sharon didn't live long enough
    to evolve her craft, it's impossible to say where she would've taken her career.
    I really appreciate QT handling her memory eloquently. It's clear The Manson
    Murders scared the Hell out of him, continue to do so and probably informs
    his stories to this day.

In the wake of the latest mass shootings, 1969 is pulled back into focus.
    Which is worse, home invasion of well-known rich folks or double-digit
    body counts of average people? They're both horrible and people oughta
    understand by now that walls aren't gonna keep people utterly safe.
    These days, any one of us are ripe for pickin'.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"Short person syndrome" was the least of Manson's problems.

The biggest problem was his upbringing. It wasn't good. He was in and out of juvenile detention centers for most of his formative years. In fact, Manson spent the greater part of his life behind bars. He was only out for short periods of time. As I mentioned earlier, he had been released from Terminal Island sometime in 1967 (and he didn't want to leave!). He had no idea of how 'normal society' worked at all. That's no excuse for what he did at all.

He was a career criminal con man released out into the world when things were just getting going with the whole 'Flower Power' and hippie movement. An unfortunate confluence of events, really.

7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Very true. Manson apparently learned from the pimps in prison how to "turn a girl out", when to be loving and when to mean, as a means of psychological enslavement. Which is why so many of his followers were women

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Bowie said they should burn L.A. off the F-ing map

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think it was intended that way. There's no indication that Tex recognizes/remembers Cliff, even after Cliff starts recalling details of his visit to the ranch. Besides, Tex wasn't even present during the spare tire scene, was he?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

A member of this Forum had apparently contributed the air checks and posted about it on the anticipation thread.

BeatleJWOL and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Manson did meet Neil Young, who at one point reportedly gave Charlie a motorcycle. And Manson attended parties at Cass Elliott's home, where he met John Phillips and probably other musicians as well.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Tex and Cliff do meet at the ranch.

He wasn’t there for tire deal, but showed up just as Cliff was leaving. No doubt he was told what had happened to Clem and the tire though.

But you’re right, he didn’t recognize Cliff at house. Cliff recognizes him. So much for that theory.

BeatleJWOL and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. TheDailyBuzzherd

Harpo declared LA a "Bridgeport with palm trees."
    Now, I wonder which Bridgeport he meant? Lulz

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Don’t recall reading that.

Care to shoot down anymore of my theories/info? :D ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

We went and saw this on Friday evening, and despite the fact that my loving and tolerant wife generally abhors violence in movies, I prepped her well and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. So much so that not 5 minutes ago she turned to me and asked if we could go see it again this afternoon. If that isn’t high praise I don’t know what is. And away we go!

16. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

BeatleJWOL, 905 and Carl80 like this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Neil talks about Manson in Jimmy McDonough's biography Shakey. Neil's initial comment here is in reference to the fact that in a jailhouse interview, Charlie talked about how everyone in the music industry "didn't give me s&&t" except for Neil, whom he recalled fondly for giving him a motorcycle:

NEIL YOUNG: "Charlie remembers me too, huh? Everybody else ripped him off, I gave him a motorcycle. I turn out to be a good guy. We just hung out. He played some songs for me, sittin' in Will Rogers's old house, on Sunset Boulevard. Dennis had the house there, and I visited Dennis a couple times . . . Charlies was always there. I think I met him maybe two, three times. Spent the afternoon with him, Dennis and all those girls--Linda Kasabian, Squeaky Fromme.

The girls. They only paid attention to Charlie. Dennis and I felt like we weren't there, okay? Now that may not seem that unusual, but--it is. Because both Dennis and I were known. These girls couldn't see us.

He seemed a little uptight, a little too intense. Frustrated artist. Spent a lot time in jail. Frustrated songwriter, singer. Made up songs as he went along, new stuff all the time, no two songs were the same. I remember playin' a little guitar while he was makin' up songs. Strong will, that guy.

I told Mo Ostin about him, Warner Brothers--"This guy is unbelievable--he makes the songs up as he goes along, and they're all good." Never got any further than that. Never got a demo.

Glad he didn't get around to me when he was punishing people for that fact he didn't make it in the music biz. That's what that was all about. Didn't get to be a rock and roll star, so he started f%%kin' wipin' people out. Dig that."

McDONOUGH:What would've happened if he got signed?

NY: Well, he probably would've gotten pissed off at them. He was an angry man. But brilliant. Wrong, but stone-brilliant. He sounds like Dylan when he talks.
    He's like one of the main movers and shakers of time--when you look back at Jesus and all these people. Charlie was like that. But he was kind of . . . skewed. You can tell by reading his words. He's real smart. He's very deceptive, though. Tricky. Confuses you."

Interestingly, Neil and Charlie share the same birthdate, November 12 (as do I, FWIW).

trumpet sounds, alexpop, RayS and 5 others like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cool! Thanks for sharing that passage. I never knew about Neil knowing Manson. I've read a lot of books about Manson and have watched multiple interviews with him. I don't necessarily agree that he was "stone brilliant", but whatever.

I really don't want this thread to become "The Charles Manson Thread" though I'd love to create one, but it would, undoubtedly, get shut down much like any controversial topic on this forum. People can't seem to behave themselves very well with provocative subjects. For instance, watch what happens with the "Two Shootings" thread in Off-Topic. What a nightmare that must be for the GORTS to have to babysit. This place just isn't the venue for stuff like that; not in its current configuration anyway.

End sermon.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Jason!

Raunchnroll likes this.
  19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

For the purposes of the film, it's somewhat passable, except for the red hair!
    No actors I've seen really look like McQueen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

This article lists Rick Dalton's film and TV work (I suppose work done up until the end of the Hollywood movie time-frame - including Italian films released in 1970). Not sure whether it's full or selected works, but here is.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: Rick Dalton's Complete Filmography
    • Operazione Dyn-O-Mite! (1970) - Jason
    • Hell's Boats (1970) - Lt. Cmdr. Jeffords
    • Red Blood, Red Skin (1970) - Romeo Douglas
    • Nebraska Jim (1970) - Nebraska Jim
    • Kill Me Quick, Ringo, Said The Gringo (1969) - Ringo
    • Lancer (TV Series) (1969) - "Pilot" - Caleb DeCoteau
    • F.B.I. (TV Series) (1969) - "All The Streets Are Silent" - Michael Murtaugh
    • Land of the Giants (TV Series) (1968) - "Capture" - Dr. David Hellstrom
    • Bingo Martin (TV Series) (1967) - "Heck to Pay" - Rocky Ryan
    • The Green Hornet (TV Series) (1967) - "Hornet Hunter" - Thompson Shaw
    • Tarzan (TV Series) (1967) - "Jewel of the Jungle" - Brick Bedford
    • Salty, The Talking Sea Otter (1967) - Jed Martin
    • The 14 Fists of McClusky (1966) - Sgt. Mike Lewis
    • Tanner (TV Movie) (1965) - Joe Tanner
    • Hullabaloo (TV Series) (1965) - Guest Star, Himself
    • Hellfire, Texas (1964) - Major Travis Jackson
    • Big Game (1963) - Randy Wilson
    • Commanche Uprising (1961) - Lt. Warwick Winston
    • Red Apple Cigarettes Commercial - Himself
    • Bounty Law (TV Series) (1959-1963) - Jake Cahill

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Passable for the film. I mean, hell, Margot Robbie didn't look a ton like Sharon Tate, either. You do what you can. Lewis seemed like a reasonable actor to portray McQueen. The scene wasn't terribly long. If he's cast in a McQueen biopic that might be a helluva lot more problematic.

Matthew Tate and notesfrom like this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I didn't find Robbie sexy in this movie. Maybe she wasn't trying to be particularly sultry. Maybe I was comparing her too much to the real Tate. She did nothing for me!

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

check your pulse

24. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

[​IMG]

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think it's a pretty good match. He's not a dead ringer, but there's a definite resemblance that is easily enhanced with makeup. Overall, I think they did a fine job in casting the real people in the film, with two notable exceptions: James Stacy and Wayne Maunder. I know actors are sometimes called upon to play characters older or younger than they are, but having two guys in their early 50s play characters in their early 30s really is a bridge too far. Particularly given the fact that one of the plot points is that Nick Dalton is over-the-hill and seeing himself eclipsed by younger guys coming on the scene... that point is really undercut by having James Stacy played by a guy several years older than DeCaprio. Beyond the age issue, Olyphant really looks nothing like James Stacy, nor is his portrayal of Johnny Madrid anything like Stacy's. Luke Perry at least sort of resembles Wayne Maunder, but the Olyphant casting is really a puzzling misstep.