History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I couldn't believe that dude actually brought down a moose. That's a ton of meat, but he has to process it via smoking or drying. He'll have to be careful he doesn't get some intestinal junk from it.
    Every season I watch that show, I think the same thing. I don't care what they're eating, whether it's slugs/snails or fish or wild game, I wonder if they miss salt? I would miss salt so much. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it. They're probably just happy enough to have food.

2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Off topic - I found a new line to use in my life with your first sentence. It's brilliant.
    And I am going ot have to go back into Alone. I saw the first series and that was enough for awhile. Now I am ready for more. Your synopsis inspires me to watch.

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

There was not an episode on July 4th.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Agreed. As someone that loves to cook...I can't help but think... if you're starving, that protein has to be phenomenal. But how much better would that be with a shake or four of salt?

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Didn't Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp take down a moose (or a caribou) and have an absolutely disaster with it in terms of preserving the meat? I think he tried to smoke it, but it still got infested with maggots and the whole went to hell. Fun times trying to feed yourself with little resources and knowledge of survival. I bet you $100 to nothing I'd get sick as a dog doing this kind of thing and probably die of dysentery. I would try and sneak a salt shaker into the sitch though.

I never feel I need to watch this show as @Chris from Chicago has such good recaps.

Borgia, Chris from Chicago and E.Baba like this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

That hasn't gone down yet. He nabbed a moose. And in the process of cleaning it, cut the stomach open which spewed a bunch of contaminants from it... effectively ruining a bunch of the meat. He's trying to smoke it now. But it's a long process.

They're calling him Jordan on the show. So I can't confirm it's even the same guy. But... assuming it is... how did you get this info? It hadn't even aired yet (or just did anyway)

Was this news released (not that u read up on the show in advance). Or even if anyone writes about it.

And brother Jason, as always, thanks for the kind words. I don't even know how much I like this show. Maybe I watch it so others don't have to.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Borgia

Godshifter is talking about that movie, name escapes me, about the young dude who wanted to escape society and ended up in Alaska living in an old abandoned bus. When they found his dead body he had left a diary of his starvation. At one point he had shot a moose, but soon lost most of the meat through not having the means to preserve it. It was a good movie.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Into the Wild” starring Emile Hirsch. Sean Penn directed it. It was based on the book by Jon Krakauer.

9. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

movie was pretty well done but the book blows away the movie. Chris McCandless's sister did a book also and refutes a lot of what Krakauer wrote but it reads like someone trying to save the image of their brother.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, Krakauer's book was better but of course it would be. He was able to go further into McCandless's background and delve into his psyche more. That said, the movie was pretty faithful to Krakauer's book (as much as it could be). I mean, the thing with Kristen Stewart's character could have happened, but more than likely did not. But, for the most part, it seemed to follow McCandless's story pretty well.

I have not ever read Corine's (I think that's her name) book, so I cannot comment on it at all. I can say my father had a colleague in his department that attended Emory college with McCandless and knew him pretty well and he said that Krakauer's representation of him was pretty accurate.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  11. Chris from Chicago

The most difficult thing... is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity.

Nikki enjoys her squirrel stew. And reflects on how she's living the good life. Until her fire lights her cabin ablaze. Her shelter is screwed. But her nails look fabulous.

Michelle talks of loneliness. And hunger. She then snags a hare. Emotions swell. She talks of her husband. And her wedding ring. Aww. Then proceeds to give the creepiest rabbit carcass puppet show you'll ever hope to see.

Barry makes a sign. And then does this cheerleading thing. Don't be like Barry. He stays in the game by cooking a rabbit. So he lays down. And reminisces. Then hears a bear scavenging through his stuff just outside his shelter. That... is not good for his game.

Brady fortifies his shelter. But speaks of his wife. He appears to have lost his desire to be here. He misses his kids too. He reaches for the thingie and he presses the button. He can go without food. And a heat source. But he won't go another day without his family.

The arctic is not your friend. This is no place to play.

12. Borgia

I'll say this: after watching this newest episode, that dude Jordan is a modern day cave man.
    Foxes raid traplines, fish get off the line, and squirrels do bite, hard. Wolverines die.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

... come what may... all bad fortune is to be conquered by endurance.

Day 36. It's still the arctic. And it still sucks here.

Woniya catches a rabbit that gets eaten by a fox. So she creates a spring trap. I didn't go to trap school. Pretty sure she did. She looks back on her life and regrets not having a family. She's hoping the money the winner gets will fill that hole.

Jordan makes a dental stick commercial. And a wolverine paces outside his shelter. It stole his 35,000 calorie gallon container of moose fat. Jordan hates wolverines. He hears a nearby growl. He runs outside with a hatchet. A fight ensues. Jordan wins. One less wolverine. Two words I never thought I'd say... meat stand. Impressive.

Michelle wants to make mad mad love to her toothbrush... with her mouth. She also wants to do unspeakably horrible things to a local fox. And she shows she has a great understanding of the Canadian exchange rate.

Barry fishes with his new man made lure. Success. It's a big one too. He's going to eat good. Wait... nope. He lost it. So he makes a net so spectacular Bass Pro Shop should sell it.

Nikki and her char-branch door live the good life as she sucks the fat off of a spinal cord. She then catches a squirrel. In the process of killing it, it bites her. It's bad. Turns out being a mostly dead squirrel can piss you off.

6 people remain still. But people are starting to crack.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This is soooooooo good.

Please, never stop.

15. Chris from Chicago

You humble me with your kindness, my brother. Thank you. I appreciate all three of you that read this thread.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

4. :cool:

17. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

See @Chris from Chicago ? You've got at least six ardent fans of your work here! You're the best! :)

20. Borgia

Who would have thought you could down a moose and still suffer rapid weight loss? Darn lean meat. Dude needs some fat but can't land a fish. I'm gonna let Chris explain the rest of this episode. It was painful to watch for me, as I expect it was for him...

21. Chris from Chicago

It was indeed. But I'm away for the weekend (wife's birthday... a resort, fancy meals and some golfing... hey it's like it's my birthday too) so I may not get to it for a day or two.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Happy birthday, bro! Party hardy. Eat well (I expect a full report of menu excellence).

You are loved.

Edit: Eh, so wife’s birthday, but the rest still stands. You’re my brother, brother.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  23. Chris from Chicago

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty.

It's day 43. 6 people remain.

Barry embraces this. He looks coherent and strong. But he's not. He's a wreck. And he's making me feel bad about myself and my new elk leather slippers. Barry... is a butt hole.

Nikki snatches a hare. And she dreams of eating a caribou's cud. So she opens up the rabbit's stomach. And uses what's inside to make a flowery perfumed woodland soup.

Woniya dances a fine ballet. Then makes a rabbit skin rope. And a squirrel skin knife sheath. She's a shining example of estrogen fortitude.

Jordan reaps his moose bounty. But it doesn't contain enough fat. His body is consuming itself. So he needs fish. Catches one too. But Mr. Fish is a sneaky bastard. He got away. And he took with him the hook, lure and line. Jordan is hungry. Jordan... is f*cked.

Nathan watches trout swim. He likes that. Then he passes out. He's not that fond of that. Wait... who the hell is Nathan? I wasn't even aware there was a Nathan. Nathan... as it turns out... is a ginormous northern pike catching MF'er.

Michelle sleeps. A lot. Her vision goes blurry. She can't find her trail. And she has to take a killer dump. It's been too long. 14 days. She's lost. She's scared. She should be. She gets dizzy and falls by the rocky shoreline. She's tough. She can take a lot. But she's got to take a sh!t. And it's not happening here. She presses the button.

5 people remain.

24. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I had to avoid this thread while I caught up. I am so glad to get back and read Chris's synopsis. Da*n they are succinct, witty and accurate.

For a while, until this last episode I was certain it was Jordan who would win. Not so much now. It was brilliant that he caught the fish, for a little bit. He is an ultimate survivor in the wild but **** happens.

And watching this last episode I realise I am entertained, at least in part, watching people suffer. This show proves it, cause if they ain't succeeding they are suffering.

25. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Chris if I'm ever in Chicago, I will message you and drinks are on me my Hoffman forum friend...This is my favorite Visual Arts thread and your the reason.