David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

its mea culpa PR.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, it is hard to top their self-titled debut — not sure there could ever realistically be any such expectation. That said, both Crosby and Stills released terrific debut solo albums.

markp, Joti Cover, MoonPool and 5 others like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think every public figure with any status in the cultural realm spends a lot of time thinking about what they did, and how it affected their part of the legacy, than they let on. I find Crosby pretty confessional, and including in offhand remarks made during discussions of other topics, that show he's aware of his baggage, and meets it head-on.

I've been to about 30 Minneapolis Radio Conclave events in my career, and without a doubt one of the best sessions involving the artists themselves was one he and Nash did together during a luncheon around the release of their Another Stoney Evening duet album (ooh - multichannel-!), and found them both in-sync and honest about their relationships (of course this was 1997).

My wife and I enjoyed his contributions to Echo, and right on the heels of that I received a Snarky Puppy album/DVD in the mail, called Family Dinner, Vol. II: it's Michael League's genre-busting jazz ensemble's projects to bring the band to a neutral location and incorporate different vocalists from all over the world. The doc/performance includes several interview segments of the artists involved, including...David Crosby. And I frankly just love hearing him talk about his own relationship with both music, and working with musicians. (By the way, I come to learn today that in the wake of that, there is also an album with just him, Michael League, and two other guests from the project, Becca Stevens and Michelle Willis, entitled Here If You Listen; so, look into that...).

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wow, that's quite a scintillating analysis of something you've never seen. Do you write dismissive reviews of restaurants you've never eaten at as well? :rolleyes:

IMO, the strongest of Crosby's last 4 very strong solo releases.

dixiedixie69 and Joti Cover like this.
  5. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

That was great. Thank you for posting it. Can't wait to see the film.

Zafu

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Is there any way to see this in the UK yet?

blackdograilroad likes this.
  7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Wow -- I just listened to this podcast, and I was amazed at how quickly it took an antagonistic turn!

This is a perfect example of a bad action (Crosby getting quickly exasperated) following by a worse reaction (the interviewer, instead of just trying to salvage the interview by compromising and diplomatically accepting where Crosby wants to move the talk, stays hard on his point and tries to convince Crosby to be happy with the questions).

If the interviewer wants a lively and flowing conversation, he can't stand his ground on what he feels is "right" -- ultimately, how does that get him any real interview nevertheless a good one?

Quick edit -- I should have read through the entire thread before posting. A lot of folks already summed up the strange situation that occurred here.

somnar, AJK74 and Gray Beard like this.
  8. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Nailed it.

9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Exactly -- Crosby had previously stated that he was tired of the snail's pace of an interview, and it just seemed like the interviewer kept pushing his buttons.

Conceptually, I very much liked the questions that the interviewer was asking, but it was obvious it was going to push Crosby to the limit.

And then when Crosby gets angry, the interviewer comes back with, "I can see why a lot of people have a problem with you." The interviewer was obviously not interested in diffusing the situation -- he just wanted to exacerbate it at that point.

MortSahlFan, Wright, Hall Cat and 4 others like this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i know how these things work.
    you cant blame Crosby, the interviewer was annoying from the get go.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I can blame Crosby. Listen to any of the other interviews this gentleman has done, and you'll hear that he is a thorough professional. The problem is entirely David Crosby.

12. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

eh, everyone has a bad day now and then. some folks just happen to have microphones in front of them more regularly than others.

i still think they're both pretty good at what they do.

look forward to seeing the doc sometime.

smitquest

George P likes this.
  13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I'm down the middle on this one.

Crosby was obviously there to promote the movie and wanted to get to questions that covered that or at least something that he's done within the past 10 years... He was happy to answer questions about the well-worn 1960s and all that happened there, but 30 minutes in (in an interview that was only going to be an hour or so) and the interviewer is still going over points about events from 1969... and Crosby gets impatient with it all.

Sure, Crosby could have reacted better, but the interviewer could have played it better.

What did the interviewer ultimately want in the end? For Crosby to understand why the he was or "right" or to to get a full hour of an interview with a comfortable and revealing Crosby?

14. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

WARNING FINISH THAT DRINK BEFORE WATCHING OTHERWISE IT MAY END UP OVER YOUR SCREEN. :yikes:

I think this kid needs to do some research before making his next video. :crazy:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the guy was totally annoying asking questions like a robot. like Crosby said, are we going thru my career week by week?

16. Richard Bennett

Richard Bennett Forum Resident

I actually wasn't surprised by Crosby's response. I could hear the slight annoyance in his voice well before the blow up, it's obvious the interviewer didn't pick up on it or just didn't care. From someone who grew up around addicts and recovering addicts, you kind of know when to back off when they are getting on edge. It's almost a body language thing I can hear in Crosby's voice plain as day. IDK, it's hard to explain I suppose.

vegafleet, Myke and George P like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, the reviewer reminds me a lot of my boss. The kind of person who has a lot of trouble respecting the rights of others, who has poor empathy and who only cares about their own agenda. And perhaps most of all, the kind of person who is too stupid to see how their own actions impede the very progress they are trying to make. I'm glad that Crosby reacted as he did. I thought he was remarkably patient with the interviewer, far more patient than I would have been.

18. Untitled

Untitled Forum Resident

But Crosby didn't have to call him names. I get that his agenda was to discuss the documentary and he was polite at first, but the last couple of minutes betrayed an abusive streak, maybe. Has he apologized?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That last question was absolutely ridiculous

20. Chris DeVoe

Again, this person has interviewed more than 290 other actors and musicians, none of whom stormed out yelling abuse.

Crosby is the problem.

21. Well said, I was empathizing with DC even before the abrupt end.

Looking forward to seeing the Doc!

Hall Cat, George P and Myke like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

ExHead and The MEZ like this.
  23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I listened to that podcast. I applaud the host for playing the entire thing exactly as it went down.

ExHead and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

lol yeah that was a great question, now that you are no longer bedding Joni Mitchell how did you feel when Nash was bedding her?

what is harmony? LOL

when did you start robbing?

Crosby deserves a medal for putting up with that guy.

25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

We don't know if the interviewer had some preexisting gripe with Crosby. Some people do; he's a divisive figure (as seen on this forum as well). He did not respect Crosby's personal life, pushing the salacious in a way I'm sure he wouldn't have with other guests.