Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I used a 20% coupon from Guitar Center on my SL-1200GR.

McLover likes this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

I’d be curious to hear about this comparison as well... or the PLX1000 vs older 1200s?
    Anyone heard both? :idea:

PhxJohn likes this.
  3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I was looking for reviews on YT, one that tears apart the Pioneer, and it wasn't exactly flattering. But that was 3+ years ago, not sure if they've made some changes since then. Reviews I've seen from owners though on a couple of sites are very positive.

McLover likes this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’ve never seen Technics on the excluded companies list.

5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

FWIW, I think there was a Stereophile review of the PLX1000 that was very positive.

Really though, the best sonic value in TTs is a used Technics SL1200mk2, 3, or 5. Basically a good $1000+ TT (inflation-adjusted) for around $500, and fairly easy to find through Craigslist or Guitar Center.

Just make sure to inspect it in person prior to purchase. :thumbsup:

McLover and Slick Willie like this.
  6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

If one could purchase a new-in-box MK2 for the same price as the MK7, which to go for?

Are there any sonic improvements in the MK7?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Inferior, inferior quality control. Panasonic/Technics built theirs in their factory, they designed it, engineered it, and built it. They didn't outsource it. Big difference between designing it, engineering it, building it, in your factory, to your real standards than buying it from another vendor. Clone as a rule inferior to the real thing .Cheaper for a reason. How many Technics SL-1200 anything owners had to tighten their loose bearings on their tonearm, or fix their antiskating? None I know of. Save your money, buy better. Quality costs less than buying lesser does in the long run.

Daicehawk and DoF like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And it will get you the real deal, and something you'll be happier with in the long haul.

DoF likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I've heard both, repaired both. Technics superior, better built, better supported, designed to be serviced and maintained. An abused Technics outperforms often new in the box wannabees which look like one. My record for a rebuilt SL-1200 is rebuilt 4 times, beer spilled multiple times, abused and it went from bar to club to bar, to my production studio at work. It looks nice, works like new, has been reliable since it's new life of ease. And it loves getting more gentle operators, and maintained often by engineers.

Aftermath, DoF, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In the USA, they tend to be expensive enough that these shortcomings are less forgiven. I spend $400-$500 for a turntable, I expect competent in all critical areas. The Rega lower series tonearms are excellent budget tonearms (I get that, even though they don't meet my needs and applications. I respect their engineering and build quality for their price). The Rega Carbon I like (but you don't need to pay for the Rega name, it's the same old AT 3600 L you can get for under $20, I use one myself on a nice Audio-Technica AT-MG 10 headshell installed on my Technics SL-1500).

DoF and PhxJohn like this.
  11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Stereophile rated the PLX1000 as a Class 'C'. Same rating given to the Rega P3:
    '
    C

Pioneer PLX-1000: $699 including tonearm $$$
    To those who deny the musicality of direct-drive platters and the servos they rode in on, HR says: Bunk. "Forget analog vs digital or tubes vs solid-state; the most pervasive and poorly considered belief of all is that only belt-drive turntables are worthy of audiophile consideration." From there, HR praises this successor to the popular but discontinued Technics SL-1200 Mk.2: the Pioneer PLX-1000 direct-drive turntable with integrated tonearm. "Belts can't touch the PLX-1000's excitement, naturally formed detail, and clearly expressed forward momentum," he wrote. "This new Pioneer also showcases the complex tonal character and elegant structures of classical music better than any affordable belt-drive I've experienced." As HR hears it, the PLX-1000, whose motor has more than twice the torque of its famous forebear, "is not only a worthy successor to the legendary Technics SL-1200MK2, it is a serious contender for the best audiophile-grade turntable for less than $2000. Unabashedly recommended." After a round of second-thoughtfulness, plus trials with an even greater array of partnering cartridges—including the affordable Shure SC35C—HR encouraged the bravest and most technically adept owners to check the tonearms of their PLX-1000 turntables for excessively loose bearings. Otherwise, "I could live the rest of my music-loving, record-collecting life" with the Pioneer player. (Vol.38 Nos. 3 & 7 WWW)'.

Read more at Recommended Components: 2019 Edition Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, etc.

IRG and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The Rega RB220(standard on P2) and available separately, is miles ahead of the Rega RB110(available only as part of the P1). I just wish that Rega would ditch the 'automatic'(it is fixed) antiskate feature. The RB220 would be more popular as a stand alone tonearm without that 'feature' as evidenced by the popularity of the preceding RB250 and RB202.

13. brimuchmuze

Well, look at the rest of their ratings. It's all price based. If they review it, it's recommended, and nicely categorized based on price.

Most of what I own is "recomended" by Stereophile but I don't put much stock in that:)

bever70 and PhxJohn like this.
  14. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Does this hold true still for the current Mk7? Built in Malaysia now, could very well be their own factory of course, just wondering if it will make an impact in build quality. Because that's the main thing I've heard about the Mk7 is that it doesn't feel quite as high quality as the previous version. It is lighter weight for one thing, which I'm not saying is a negative. Lighter components can be a plus as well. The PLX1000 does weigh more now than the new Mk7. I am aware of what a clone is, especially in the guitar/effects world. But I wouldn't say that's always a derogatory thing. A lot of clones fill a gap when the original is not being made (like the Klon pedal, versus a ton of very good Klone pedals, take your pick), or in the case of the SL1200 and then the PLX1000 when Technics stopped making theirs. Now they're back, with a slightly newly updated model. I'm sure it will be the one to purchase. Doesn't mean the PLX1000 is a bad TT, I don't think it is. Just not the original. Also, I'm not worried about longevity, as my equipment is completely babied, and unfortunately doesn't get used as much as I'd like.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Still holds true, it's a Panasonic factory with Panasonic employees. With their branding of Technics on it. For me, a PLX 1000 is not a real Pioneer turntable. It was not built by Pioneer, in a Pioneer factory by Pioneer employees (my PL-518 is a true Pioneer turntable, outside of the rotten feet, only trouble I see very much on one today at 30 years old). It was built for Pioneer's DJ division. It is nice, but overpriced for what it is.

For that price, I expect the tonearm to not be prone to QC issues like loose bearings. I expect the anti-skating to be accurate and work correctly, I expect the tonearm to feel like and be precise. I expect reasonable durability under hard and heavy use like Technics is, the same or better performance than a SL-1200 Mk 5 or Mk 7. Any less is not worth this price point. I need tools, not toys, I need a reliable workhorse. Not something for this price, which is heavily worn in 5-6 years of heavy use, I like the PLX 1000 fine, as a $500 or under buy. Which in today's market is what they're worth. Flimsy wannabees not acceptable, unless it's cheap enough I can replace them often.

When you get to $700-$800 why buy a wannabee imitation which will be less than a good use of your investment. I don't just use turntables, I repair and set up turntables for myself and others. I call them like I see them. I've had the PLX-1000 apart several times for others out of warranty. I've had the Technics Mk V apart for repair. The Technics is better. Better motor, better tonearm, better built, better engineered (The Mk V was an abused example given up for dead by a bar, they gave it to one of the bar band musicians). I repaired it, it is working like a new one, and cosmetically nice. I installed a dust cover on it. That musician uses it at home, it lives a life of ease. He gives a darn about longevity, so do I. His HiFi is generally 1960's vintage like mine mainly is.

16. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Careful with that assumption. That is true for most Audio Technica cartridges. Or, at least the ones I have tried it with. However, I would not extend this assumption to other cartridge manufacturer's models. I have several cartridges this does not apply to (Acutex, ZYX, Denon for example). Always check the alignment - even with an AT cartridge. The MG-10 is a nice magnesium headshell, but offers no azimuth adjustment for dialing in those advanced stylus profiles (Microline, FG, etc.)

17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Street price for the Mk7 is $999

18. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Right, and the PLX is $699, a difference of $300. Not that large, and I think given $300 or so, probably best to go with the Technics.

19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The Pioneer is a Hanpin model (Based onDJ Super OEM, DJ5500). Based on similar models from Audio Technica (LP1240) and others (Denon has a version for $800). Pioneer also has a PLX-500 which is the AT LP120 equivalent. The PLX-1000 is indeed a nice TT from most reviews. I, for one, have had a great experience with my Hanpin ATLp120. My goal is to go with the Mk7 once I save up some extra cash.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Stanton56 and IRG like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Works with Stanton 680/681, Pickering XV 15 too. And yes, I check it against a protractor. P.S. Most headshells with azimuth adjust save for the present Technics one for the new SL-1200 models are 12g or heavier. And your point is a very fine one, well taken.

DoF likes this.
  21. U-96

U-96 Active Member

I did a lot of homework looking into reviews of PLX1000 vs used SL1200 because I wanted to buy one. Although the Pioneer is a “copy”, people seem to be happy with it. From what I remember, the dampening is a bit worse and it is just a bit noisier, but to expert ears - not mine. The durability is no match. The Pioneer is too recent to be judged, although it is unlikely to age as well as the SL1200.

roxy17, punkmusick and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  22. brimuchmuze

I think the thread needs more comments from SL-1200MK7 owners, and less from anyone else! (myself included)

Stanton56, csgreene, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  23. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

How do you get one of these 20% off coupons. If I had one I would get a GR tomorrow!

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Shared with me by a kind forum member. I think they email them out? Rakuten also had 3% cash back for Guitar Center, which somehow paid me back $51 in addition to me getting the 20% off. I would have been a fool to pass up that deal!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    thetakeout and IRG like this.
  25. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Curiosity is eventually going to get the best of me. I will probably end up purchasing an SL-1200MK7 and an SL-1500C for direct comparison to the pair of SL-1200Gs I currently own. I will wait until they are out for a while though. All the dealers I use have a backlog of prepaid orders they have to fill first.