Nashville CD store recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by DeYoung, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident Thread Starter

We'll be in Nashville this weekend - anybody care to weigh on where I might find the best (and biggest) selection of used CDs? Not so much into vinyl. Thanks!

2. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

It's been a while since I was in Nashville, but when I'm there, I always go to Phonoluxe. They have lots of vinyl, but also a good amount of CDs too.

dlemaudit and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

I've always walked out with a stack of used CDs each time I have visited McKay's Nashville. Used books, but lots of CDs too.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

McKays, and Grimey's. Recently discovered Phonoluxe is only open on the weekends now, since they began overcharging tourists.

No Static likes this.
  5. Myke

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

When I was there a few years ago I was shocked at how slim the inventory at the Ernest Tubb's Record Shop had become.

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Ernest Tubbs is definitely not a good place to go. Grimey's and McKay's are my go to shops. Grimey's for vinyl... especially used. McKay's for used CDs.

dlemaudit, Dave112 and Myke like this.
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You want McKay's. HUGE selection of used CDs there.

dlemaudit and Myke like this.
  9. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

+1 on Phonoluxe.

10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

McKay's and Grimey's (Grimey's Too next door for used).

I was at Grimey's Too yesterday and there's still a very good selection of used CDs, even though both are moving to an old church before long.

11. Myke

So @DeYoung , where did you end up going ?

12. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident Thread Starter

I spent $65 at Phonoluxe, and slightly less at McKay's. Grimey's used selection wasn't all that impressive.

wynnwikman, Myke and ermylaw like this.
  13. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

We were in Nashville last year and found a decent selection at the shop at The Grand Ole Opry. Prices were a little steep as you might imagine. We also lucked up and a local lady my wife met at random in another shop told us about someone wanting to sell their CD collection. We bought in the neighborhood of 500+ CDs of newer country music. A few of them were signed promos from the country artists. I think we got everything for about $150.00. Most of the CDs were like new and the seller was given the CDs but only kept the rock CDs and wanted to get the country CDs out of her way. There was some cool rock and metal CDs in there but I couldn't complain with the price after she picked the CDs out that she wanted.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    allbrosca, clhboa and Myke like this.
  14. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Nice score. I've been picking up a fair bit of 90's country cds dirt cheap lately.

Dave112 likes this.
  15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

We're coming up on 11 months since the thread has seen any activity, so I thought I'd revive it. In early September, I'm going to the Ryman to see Mark Knopfler, so I'm going to spend the day hitting some cd stores. I've read through 2 or 3 threads on here, and a couple were old. From what I've read, here is a summary:

I won't make it to:
    Phonoluxe.....weekends only
    Towne Square Records...not sure I want to make the trek to Gallatin

I'll definitely go to:
    Great Escape(superstore)
    Grimey's......How is the selection of cds(new and used)?
    McKays....Been a longtime customer of the Knoxville stores. I've bought hundreds of their $1 cds, so I think this stop is a must since I've never visited their Nashville store.

Are these worth to time?: (I'm only interested in cds, primarily used)
    Great Escape(Madison)
    CD Warehouse(Madison)
    Alison's Record Shop
    The Groove

16. Myke

Save you a trip anyway, no CDs, just vinyl, and video games, and comic books.

I just called them for you, since I moved to Gallatin 9 months ago, and couldn't remember...they definitely have CDs.

The Madison Great Escape, and CD Warehouse used to have great used CD selections, as Madison is where I moved from.

spanky1 likes this.
  17. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice/help MYKE.

Myke likes this.
  18. Myke

You're welcome.
    I'm keeping up (somewhat) for selling purposes. McKay's takes waaay too long to drop my stuff, have them evaluate it, then pay me ( Boom town blues...never saw it more crowded than Father's Day.)
    Great Escape on Charlotte Ave. took my silver discs, but paid me an embarrassing amount.
    Part of what amused me about Towne Square, all that floor space, but no CDs. We've never even discussed it, because vinyl, and family, and dogs have always dominated the pleasant conversation, on top of letting me name my price for a stack of vinyl I'm selling, and getting it !!! God bless small town life.

ElevatorSkyMovie and spanky1 like this.
  19. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

When I lived in Nashville, I only went to Great Escape. I think it was called Pack Rats back then.
    I haven't lived there for 20 years, so I don't know if they are still good, but it was a great place to look in the early 90's.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There must have been Great Escape in Nashville 20 years ago...because I used to visit their Great Escape in Louisville on Bardstown all through the '80s!

Lownote30 likes this.
  21. Myke

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  22. Myke

Great Escape goes back to 1977, I've never heard of any Pack Rats.

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

I spent a couple days in Nashville recently at the end of some vacation in the Great Smoky Mountains. Great city.
    As for record hunting you guys are lucky. Following your advices managed to go to Mc Kay’s ( woah just woah. Wish I had stopped at their Knoxville location ). Phonoluxe , Great Escape and the lovely Grimeys. ( one of the best looking store I been to , a refitted Church ! ).

24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My goodness. I went nuts at that store this past week. I had a hefty pile of used cds when I discovered all the cheap still sealed cut-out lps. It was like stepping back in time. I had to go to Wal Mart to buy another suitcase to carry them home on the airplane!

wynnwikman, Myke and dlemaudit like this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The 1st store I stopped at last week was The Ernest Tubb Record shop. Picked up a cut-out cd and a cutout lp. Went completely nuts at Mckays and spent a fair bit more at Grimey's. I had to call it quits and blew off both The Groove and The Great Escape. I already was loaded down pretty heavy and didn't want to have extra luggage charges from the airline. It's going to take me a good long while to listen to everything I bought. Lot of fun!

wynnwikman and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.