The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Apr 29, 2017.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

welp. june definitely sapped the uplifting feeling from belinda carlisle that was previously granted by black mirror.

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just ensuring I didn't miss anything... was that it? The principal just wasn't ready get it on (bang a gong) after a wonderful and meaningful night with her, and she turns into that? It's not like he turned out to be a scam or some type con man, he was sincere as hell but he just wasn't ready for the physical side just yet...

That was it, right? There wasn't anything "heavier" to it, right? If not, that seemed a bit of a stretch.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

After last night's (7/17) episode, I turned to my wife and stated, "Well, June is now taking her cues from Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining'!"

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Well that was an hour of nothing.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mostly agree, but not totally. Sure felt that way for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the episode - I was not going to be kind in my comments!

However, there was a single, simple scene, with the doctor, which helped to explain some complaints that people have had in previous episodes. Namely, that June had been exhibiting overly risky overt behavior toward her keepers. Here the doctor sees her behavior as suicidal, to which June retorts - you mean homicidal! But no, June sees that the doc is right when he says that she wanted to be strung up on the walls. It was a moment of self recognition and hopefully (as the tacked-on fightin' words end scene telegraph) a sign of change to come (albeit, too slow to come).

6. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Great call about the analysis of June’s behavior, but I surely felt the episode spun a bit regarding pacing to get to that point.

I’m in for the rest of the season, but this series might just turn into a “mood piece” because the writers might be struggling with the character development and dynamics.

Deesky likes this.
  7. Deesky

Finally, a really good episode (S03E11). Stuff happened (even though I knew what June would do).The episode wasn't padded out, like most this season, and I never got restless while watching. Too bad more episodes weren't like this this season.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

too bad meloni was pretty much wasted.

seriously, no one was keeping tabs on a guy that was at least strongly implied to be super high up?

ok...

Scowl likes this.
  9. Deesky

Hmmm, I didn't find it especially surprising. After all, being in a position of high privilege means that you can do what you want, when you want - like having 'fun' on a night out in the city. Why would he be watched at all times? It's not like he really matters in any critical way (that I could tell).

Of course, he will be missed in time and questions will be asked, but by then all the evidence would have been scrubbed! :)

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

At least no-one could accuse that episode of being boring.

Here's an idea for the next season. June takes a truckload of stolen children to Canada but the beaurocracy is so overbearing and there's so much red tape she returns them to Gilead

11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Not funny.

Scowl, Lewisboogie and DigMyGroove like this.
  12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"Super high up"? He was the President (or High Panjandrum, or High Muckitymuck, whatever they call it), wasn't he?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Very high up, but they didn't make his exact position clear.

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I very much enjoyed the recent 8/7/19 episode.

For clarity, Did Serena betray Fred just to get an hour or so with the baby? Or was it implied that she will get to "raise" the child in some capacity?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh come on, we don't need those pesky details! just like we don't need to know exactly why luke was allowed to visit fred. or what his binder was for. or why his binder got left in the room. or what happened to his binder. or why serena & fred were being held in some japanese themed day-spa prison.

other than that, yeah it was a significantly better episode.

16. misterdecibel

Well, that was, uh, something...

BZync likes this.
  17. BZync

BZync Senior Member

At the risk of implying a spoiler - does anyone know if this is the season finale or the series finale? As much as I like the show, and as much as I can identify a major "loose end", I'm thinking this is a good way to end it.

Just found the answer to my own question - yes, there will be a season four.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  18. Deesky

It sure felt like a series finale to me. Technically, you could still extend it given how things ended, but I think that would be a mistake. The concept has played itself out well and truly. The only way I can see it being extended successfully is through a big shakeup in setting with new characters to go with it, which would essentially make it a different show.

IMO, they way the season ended is a good sendoff to the series.

GentleSenator and BZync like this.
  19. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Think about it...this is hulu's big show...their pride and joy. Trust me it will have at minimum 5 seasons. They don't have much else original content I enjoy. Some ok stuff but nothing on handmaids tale level.

fluffskul and BZync like this.
  20. misterdecibel

I didn't do any research to see if it was a season finale or series finale until after I had seen the show, 'cause just knowing can be a spoiler.

There would by necessity have to be a big shakeup in setting after this season, due to (1) the legal status of the Waterfords, and (b) the death of Eleanor Lawrence. Assuming for a moment that somehow Teflon June gets through this with no consequences, at the very least she'll be sent to yet another Commander. Aunt Lydia hinted as much.

I still wonder if there'll be some kind of reunion between June and her mom, at the Colonies.

To me a satisfactory series ending would have to involve some form of dismantling the Gilead experiment.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I think you guys might be missing a key hint for next season

Commander Lawrence is going to be in charge of Boston ... there was no other reason for them to make a point in telling you that the Matthews were killed by their Martha to get the baby out. No other Commanders were met with this fate to our knowledge, and no other commander still in Boston is as developed, or as we are lead to believe powerful. With the Waterford already gone, and Matthew dead. It seems Commander Lawrence, is the last man standing. And he knows he has to "clean up his mess," as he told June.

I think his character has grown into the male lead, whether he is billed as such or not. Waterford's character has gotten less interesting since his breakout in season 1. And the more we see of Lawrence the more fascinated we are by him. I can see him and June at times working together, and at times being at odds with one-another. And if he does become Boston's top commander, he can probably figure out a way to get himself a handmaid without a wife. I think it may even be possible he marries June. This would be smart if they both wish to continue their "resistance", as it would break June from Aunt Lydia's watchful eye.

22. misterdecibel

When I speculate on upcoming episodes, it's with the assumption that whatever I think of, the writers will likely go somewhere else.

fluffskul and DigMyGroove like this.
  23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

What should have been an exciting & suspenseful season ending was just boring. And when it wasn’t boring, it was silly. The writers should all be hanged on the wall.

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

WOW, proof that we all see things quite differently.

This third season may have been uneven, but I enjoyed it and found the finale to be riveting, edge of my seat viewing. A satisfying end to the season and one that sets up a very different world to return to in Season 4.

hobbes4444 and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I enjoyed the finale but it was extremely silly. I won't bore anyone with all the stupid things that happened but I don't see how June can survive this (she has gotten away with so much already also, which I just don't buy in that world).

I really don't think the showrunners/writers know what they're doing anymore. Too many plot points that are not followed up on (where the hell is Nick?). Not enough of Emily shown (it's like they just dropped her story completely and she only had a cameo in the finale).

Anyone else noticed how many producers/exec producers, etc they listed in the credits? Seems there are too many chefs in the kitchen.

Scowl, EVOLVIST and delmonaco like this.