Bands that fell off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ColeB24, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Whoops....!
    Ha ha ha....just now realizing the mistake I made.
    This is what happens when I type posts late at night!!

Wow....I need to slap myself, because I love 'New Traditionlists' ( released after 'Freedoms of Choice', and before 'Oh No..!')

How on Earth did I forget that...?

Wow....feeling pretty devolved right about now.

:doh:

-

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Dictators, from The Dictators Go Girl Crazy! to Manifest Destiny.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band

[​IMG]
    Clear Spot (1972) to

[​IMG]
    Unconditionally Guaranteed (1974)

DaveinMA likes this.
  4. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Agree...and I don't know how I forgot that album.
    This is what happens I guess when I stay up too late at night and post on forums..ha ha..!

I actually really like 'New Traditionlists' a lot.
    Totally agree that 'Beautiful World' is one of their best efforts.
    As Gerald V. Casale once stated - ' with that song, DEVO was firing on all cylinders like a well oiled machine'
    Fantastic tune.

-

5. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

KISS from ‘Love Gun’ to ‘Dynasty,’ then again from ‘Creatures of the Night’ to ‘Lick It Up.’

The Stone Roses from the first album to ‘Second Coming.’

Rod Stewart after ‘Never a Dull Moment.’

The Who after ‘Quadrophenia.’

6. FitterStoke

FitterStoke Active Member

These were the times I remember feeling particularly perplexed; it’s intriguing to think about because, in technical and musical terms, often everything I’d loved was still ‘in place’ but something intangible in terms of energy and purpose just seemed to have evaporated.

Genesis: Foxtrot > Selling England by the Pound

Kenickie: At the Club > I Will Fix You

Mos Def: Black on Both Sides > The New Danger

Black Sabbath: Master of Reality > Volume 4

Behemoth: The Satanist > I Loved You at Your Darkest

Julian Cope: Jehovahkill > Autogeddon

Oasis: Definitely Maybe > Morning Glory (went straight from Please Please Me to Let it Be. Very efficient)

7. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow to Destination Universe (picked it back up with Freak City Soundtrack, though; it's been so long since I heard DU that I should re-listen)
    New Order - Technique to Republic (I remember nothing about Republic other than Regret and my disappointment; maybe I should re-visit?)
    Pizzicato Five - Pizzicato Five™ to Ca Et La Du Japon (one of my favorite bands, but what a dud to go out on)
    The Pogues - If Should Fall From Grace With God to Peace and Love (not a bad record, just not as good as previous, and Hell's Ditch was a further drop)
    The Beautiful South - Blue Is the Color to Quench (they dropped off totally after Blue..., in my opinion)
    DJ Shadow - The Private Press to The Outsider
    Everything But the Girl - Idlewild to Language of Life/Worldwide (more than rebounded with Amplified Heart)
    Human League - Dare to Hysteria (anything was going to be a fall off from a record like Dare)

8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I kind burned out on both of these by now but Animals had more staying power.Your right though about WYWH
    being the last lp they all had a part in.Animals was the beginning of the end with the Wall being the end of the Pink Floyd I liked.The Final Cut was them falling off the edge of the earth.

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

Slade went to **** in the late 80s. Then Noddy left and we got the pale imitation, called Slade 2...

10. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

The English Beat. 'I Just Can't Stop It' is essential listening, but 'Wha'ppen?' was a disappointment, to say the least. Luckily they rebounded with 'Special Beat Service' before splitting up.

Aftermath likes this.
  11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I wouldn't have said that By Numbers was either "ehh or horrible."

It featured pretty well in the end of year lists in the UK music press at the time.

12. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Pink Floyd-The final Cut

13. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Patti Smith followed Horses, one of the greatest debut albums in history, with a meh album that had a lot of pretentious twaddle on it: Radio Ethiopia.

Lou Reed from Berlin to Sally Can't Dance is evidence of a harrowing decline in musical intelligence.

Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies to Muscle of Love is a pretty big drop off in quality.

The other one that comes to mind is Love Forever Changes to Four Sail. I know it's a completely different band, but all Love albums are Arthur Lee albums in one form or another (excepting the occasional--and fantastic--Bryan Maclean song.)

14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I love Plays. No way it was going to touch A Love Supreme compositionally, as a unified statement. That album's singular. But I don't think it's a drop in the quality of the group ensemble; it's another fine scoop of the classic quartet, to my ears & heart. Even if they were stretching things way further out at the Half Note around the same time.

15. anth67

Umm...not on my watch :pleased:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Oddly enough I actually like In The Wake Of Poseidon over In The Court Of The Crimson King.... but that's just me. Both are great albums don't get me wrong but Poseidon just clicks with me a bit more if that makes sense.

Now for my definition of a "fall off" I'm going to go with Ace Of Base with their third album Flowers (the original European version) being the best album they put together to... Da Capo which is an okay album but nowhere near as good as Flowers.

Edit: Actually come to think of it... I did forget that there was a continuation of Ace Of Base under the name of (get this) "Ace.Of.Base" which only has two of the original members (Jonas and Ulf) with two new female singers that I can't for the life of me remember their names. They only made one album Golden Ratio that I tried listening to several times and gave up every single time within 1-2 songs. It's that.... bad. So yeah. That's their drop off.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  17. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I personally would go Invisible Touch to We Can't Dance. Invisible Touch was nearly perfect in pacing and overall tone and energy. We Can't Dance on the other hand suffers badly from the 90's excess of albums becoming over bloated with songs that should of either been relegated to B-Sides of even left in the trash can all together. I actually prefer and like Calling All Stations far more over We Can't Dance.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  18. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

which is why i stopped listening to them, when hagar joined.
    that, and the terrible 1984 album did them in.

later

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Some bewildering choices here. "Muswell Hillbillies" is one of The Kinks very best albums, "Experimental Jet Set" is a fine return to the left field, "Candy Apple Grey" shows Husker Dus more mature side and "Where You Been"... well it's one of Mascis greatest albums. No?

Desolation Row likes this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Heartache Tonight and The Long Run are great songs.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Beatles.
    After Please Please Me it was all downhill.

22. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

R.E.M started putting out progressively worse music in the late 90s

Green Day after Warning. American Idiot was very pretentious, and everything after has been very mediocre

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't know about that. They are both heavily arranged albums played by pro studio musicians but different sides of the coin, arty vs. contemporary.

24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

You mean going from one masterpiece to another but one that was recorded better and sounds amazing through the headphones? If so then I agree.

25. anth67

Many peoples' favorite. Not mine (even if 20th Century Man is on the ballot for their greatest song ever). But whatever your feelings, the album is a tangible shift. That "classic" run from Something Else to Lola (and Percy, its coda) is suddenly over and they're forging on to new places. The bonus tracks "Lavender Lane" and "Nobody's Fool" would've given the album more variety, I think, but perhaps less of its unique identity. The latter song sounding more like a Lola ballad (to me, that's a positive, to Ray apparently not).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.