Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I had looked at Prestige as well and saw the hiatus. Didn't find an easy way to look at CTI, Savoy etc. It's possible it was closed down those two weeks, but I would not make that assumption from Blue Note alone.

Interesting time period for Blue Note. Alfred Lion had effectively retired a year before. Wolff didn't seem to have the same sonic control of the sessions that Lion did. I find the sometimes "bass drum way over there" sound of some of these sessions annoying. ;)

MisterBritt likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe Rudy was on holiday?

blutiga, shawnwes and Lonson like this.
  3. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Giving a first listen to Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright. Wow! is all I got. There does seem to be a couple of very minor pressing issues which are audible but they might clean up with a cleaning & they aren't intrusive at all.

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I wish someone would wipe the sonic slate clean for Herbie Hancock’s Maiden Voyage and get rid of the RVG fingerprints. A new remaster would be even better. Hancock’s Maiden Voyage, for my money, is one of the greatest jazz albums of all time and it’s a shame that the RVG remaster sounds as bad as it does. Are you reading this MoFi? As you did with Miles Davis, please release a hybrid SACD. Oh, and while you’re at it, get around the releasing Miles’ Seven Steps to Heaven.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Have you heard the AP45 or MM33 versions? I own the MM33 and think it’s about as good as it gets.

AllenR, Gabe Walters, Admerr and 4 others like this.
  6. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Agree...

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's a fine album, but I assume it's being avoided by some because it's digital? That's fair enough.

8. After hearing Grant Green Grant's first stand and Dexter Gordon Doin Allright I just wish this series continue one more round next year... the sound is so good, almost can't believe this cost 22 dollars... the jackets also it's very good.. no bad at all.. I hope this and the tone poet continue, the blue note catalog is big big..

blutiga, markp and scotti like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

Are you talking about the RVG CD series?

10. Mirror Image

Yep.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Could not agree more! Let's keep this thread going in the right direction and looking forward to future posts...new titles later in the week, and betting they will be some good ones!

12. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

As none of them are available w/o spending large $ on the secondary market perhaps that's a good argument to make it a TP or BN80? Joe Harley, are you out there?:help:

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Definitely won’t be a TP as joe has already stated he would not double dip into the MM series in which he co shares credits for producing with Ron, but BN80 is definitely an option, as many of the MM’s whose licenses have expired are already produced as part of the BN80 series.

Joe Harley likes this.
  14. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

As mentioned, there is an SACD of Maiden Voyage from Analogue Productions that sounds fantastic. AP also did Seven Steps To Heaven. Unfortunately, they are both out of print and very hard to find, and very expensive if you do.

However, if you’re into streaming, the hi-res version of Maiden Voyage sounds excellent, and I think it’s quite similar in quality to the AP SACD. You can stream it on Qobuz or Tidal (the Tidal version is MQA), or you can purchase the hi-res files from HDTracks or other similar online vendors.

15. Mirror Image

Yeah, those Analogue Production SACDs of Maiden Voyage and Seven Steps to Heaven are both impossible to find at a realistic price. This is why I’m hoping that MoFi comes through on these or, at least, Seven Steps to Heaven.

16. Mirror Image

Same here. Out of the ‘Berklee pack’ which consists of Metheny, Frisell, Mike Stern, and Scofield, I feel Scofield is the most overrated of them all. I never have been able to appreciate his guitar playing nor his own compositions. Metheny and Frisell, however, are two of my biggest influences. Mike Stern less so.

lbloom, Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Have you heard Rough House, Bar Talk or Bill Goodwin- Solar Energy? This is where Scofield really shines IMO. I would recommend to check these out If you haven’t already, cause these albums contain Scofield’s finest work. Solar Energy alone might change your mind.

ledsox likes this.
  18. Mirror Image

I’ve heard Rough House and I believe I’ve heard Bill Goodwin’s Solar Energy (although it’s been 20 something years since I’ve heard it probably). I do think Scofield did a good job on Marc Johnson’s Bass Desires albums, but that’s about it. I’m not really into his harmonic language and I absolutely hate those jazz-funk albums he did. Not my cup of tea at all.

5-String likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Decided to sample Hand Jive. I realize he is a talented musician but there is just something about his style that I do not care for. At times I start to sorta get in to this album but its the style of his playing that is driving me away. He has almost a Rock delivery in his playing. I also love some good funky/soul Jazz, but there is just something way to new sounding about this record. I believe there are two more BN 80th titles from the 90's and the Tony Williams from 1985 coming, but the rest are older releases thank goodness.

I realize sampling does not do an album justice, but I'm not about to spend $22 on an artist I have never really listened to. Found a promo of "a go go" when I was digging through my Jazz CD's and will at least check some of it out later.

There does not seem to be much love for this one. All though there are good reviews out there on it, but I assume they are from fans of newer Jazz records, but what do I know.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  20. aoxomoxoa

Baffles me why they pick titles like Hand Jive to reissue when there are so many classic sessions still out of print.
    But what do I know?

21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs until Inventions & Dimensions comes out. I really want the MMJ 45 but this will have to do. Same thing with Basra but that's in 2020 which seems like forever from now.

timzigs, scotti and recstar24 like this.
  22. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I believe these are downloads of the exact contents of the SACD layer for these two titles ($25 each, less 10% min discount, and still available):

Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds
    Miles Davis-Seven Steps To Heaven-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

I understand that this may not help if you can't stream DSD, but may be an option for some. (And various conversion options are available, probably documented elsewhere.)

scotti likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

On the MMJ site, it shows as being out of stock, but at the top, available for pre-order (weird)...did this one sell out like, really fast? Still listed at $49.95

I like the $22 BN 80th price (10/11, but he is one of my favorites, and nicer cover would have been cool. Hey, 1/10/20 will be here before you know it though...I think it will a nice"Lazy Afternoon" when it arrives. Mono or stereo, anyone know yet?

musictoad likes this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here's hoping some "Alligator Boogaloo" puts a little 'snap' back in this thread! Will be hanging with the gator tomorrow evening...

MisterBritt likes this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Another great sounding, funky BN80 release . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/2019 Blue Note ‎– 7753113, UMe ‎– 7753113

Joe Harley, petercl, mcwlod and 2 others like this.