Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I saw him live twice and the man puts on a show. And his solo records are very very VERY good.

And there are probably only five living people who know how big exactly a role he played in bringing the Stones out of an unsustainable downward spiral to the point where they got that third wind which carries them to this day as a credible touring act. I know he's carrying quite a musical load on his shoulders on this tour, and he makes it look easy. I'm glad people are willing to throw $500 per ticket at them. Makes it all possible.

GoodKitty, vcpj, brew ziggins and 2 others like this.
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I never went to an All-Stars show myself, but I always respected that gig. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Agree with all you said but all the same I wouldn't want him as my bank manager!

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I was mostly joking. I love Ringo. But as a live drummer after the Beatles, I can't say that I'm impressed.

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

RE: Woody's money...

He wasn't a fully fledged member until around 1989 and up until that point was paid a salary instead.
    I believe it was Charlie Watts who said that should be changed as he was clearly part of the band.
    Considering his Freebasing and other bad habits, it's easy to see where a lot of his money went in the late 70's and 1980's.

I seem to remember that he was close to bankruptcy at the beginning of the Licks Tour and the Stones gave him an advance on future earnings to keep him financially safe.

If you read his autobiography you can see how bad he is/was at making financial decisions, especially when it comes to choosing managers.

Matthew Tate and TonyCzar like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Bill Wyman advocated for making Woody a full member when be left.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I love Keith and I’m happy to see that he’s enjoying himself, but he’s barely playing. It seems like he doesn’t really know the song. He’s a beat or two behind most of the time. I wonder is that because of the head injury years ago?

8. All Down The Line

If so then he's a 2,000 Man!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can see that Ronnie may "need" to tour to live the lifestyle to which he's accustomed, but yeah - the notion that he'll be in line for welfare checks might be a stretch! :D

10. Oatsdad

I honestly don't get this attitude. Many - most? - of us who've gone to 2019 shows think they sound better than they have in years, and 2022 is only 3 years from now.

I understand that when you're in your late 70s, the bottom can drop out fast, so I don't state as fact that all 4 Stones will be ready to rock in 2022.

However, it really isn't far in the future, so I don't think it's illogical to believe they'll still be able to play well at that point... :shrug:

Matthew Tate and Hot Ptah like this.
  11. Oatsdad

$37m sounds pretty good to me! :D

I'm less surprised that it's "so little", mainly because the richest rock stars are the ones who got publishing royalties.

Wasn't Ronnie a "salaried employee" for a substantial chunk of his time with the Stones, too? He's been a "full member" for the real money-making years - ie, the 20 years since tickets became expensive - but he's not had the same span in which to rake in a full share of the profites...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Exactly. To those of us not worth millions, we think "gimme $10 million and I'm done - I'll sip margaritas at the beach the rest of my life".

But when you know you can make $500,000 or more for 2 hours of work, are you really gonna say no?

That's the difference. If I put in a day's work, I'm not making massive amounts of money, but these guys are. Harder to sit at home when all that money's out there!

13. Oatsdad

I can easily believe that. I lowballed with $500K just to be safe! :)

14. Oatsdad

Yeah, I know tickets were on the rise in 2002, but they still weren't where they are now - and the Who couldn't demand the prices the Stones get anyway. I mean, not that great floor seats for the Stones are $400+!

And as noted, the Stones can play way bigger venues than the Who...

15. All Down The Line

Re read your second paragraph, it may well be that sooner rather than later one member will simply not be able to play a 2 hour show.
    Some fans may have some age/health denial but the band know "It's Only Gettin' Old" (they don't like it!)

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yup. Until Bill Wyman's departure.

IIRC, I once read a quote from Bill Wyman indicating that the financial arrangements off the "Steel Wheels" tour were less than satisfying. Jagger was still bemoaning the number of man-hours required for the staging of "Steel Wheels" when "Licks" started. So Ronnie wasn't the only person capable of bad decision-making. (And tickets in 1989 were mostly $30, the same amount Jagger criticized Michael Jackson for charging in 1984 in a "Rolling Stone" interview.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Just because you have money, doesn't mean you can't also "have mouths to feed." It's an expression. Just sayin'. Mick has a lot of trust funds to fill. Is that better?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Jack Lord and TonyCzar like this.
  18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I just saw Ringo four days ago . I wanted to see him one more time before I can't. I saw him in the early 90's . Didn't like it, too much schlock. But this time was really great. He's obviously not the lead drummer but he played good ( though he did make the one noticeable mistake in the show). This years All Star band was really eclectic . The set list was all over the place, and in a good way. I'm still thinking how surreal it was seeing Ringo play to Toto's Hold The Line!

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Good thinking -- Charlie might be our salvation here if Keith quits first.

I know Keith always talks how much he loves Charlie but I could see him folding before the mighty Stones Inc. and hitting the road with someone else on the drum stool.

20. All Down The Line

It would be painful to see someone else with the stool!

twicks likes this.
  21. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Give it a rest, pal. You're just repeating the thrust of your earlier, debunked posts.

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

I think "denial" occurs when there are clear signs of decline that people pretend don't exist.

I don't think anyone denies that time waits for no one, and as I said, the bottom could drop out for 1 or more of the bandmembers quickly.

But they're still good now, and 2022 is close enough that it's not unreasonable to believe they'll still be more than competent 3 years from now...

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I'd say about 75% of the people in the audience know Charlie Watts by name. He's not some anonymous Nick Mason-type who's gonna be easily replaced. Ain't gonna happen.

24. Oatsdad

Keith, Ronnie and Charlie all get very warm applause when introduced - way beyond what the "non-Stones" get.

Fans so casual they don't attend shows might not know Charlie's name, but I agree with you that people at shows know him!

MRamble and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Another factor we haven't considered: pretty much any Boomer/Gen X'er in the U.S. has been spoiled with opportunities to see these guys. I know there are a lot of kids at the shows, but they're all going with parents; plus, millennials can't afford these ticket prices. So maybe if Charlie or Keith retires Mick will realize he's not really leaving *that* much money on the table if he folds up the tent and stays home. Am I being naive?

TonyCzar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.