Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Teddy Charles: Tentet

[​IMG]

2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban (Blue Note UCCU-5684)

Japan`s SHM-CD

[​IMG]

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

4. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Starting my work day with this lovely new number: Ron Carter The Black Beatnik Tomes on Blue Note CD.
    [​IMG]

5. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

This place is a tasting room for locally made cider so it's not a club or bar which means it's a bit different in feel. No dance floor, etc. The most thought I put into my clothes is which t shirt I'll wear with my bluejeans. :) I was playing a lot of roots music last night as that was my mood but I did sip a few jazz tracks in for good measure. Some nights it is all jazz. It depends on the crowd and my mood.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bennie Maupin - The Jewel In The Lotus (ECM)
    I believe this is the only ECM album Herbie Hancock ever played on.

8. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I was just listening to the title track of this two days ago, really good album altogether

9. dennis the menace

Miles Davis Quintet - Workin` With The Miles Davis Quintet (Prestige VICJ-60126)

XRCD version. Great groove !!

[​IMG]

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams - Out Of This World (Warwick) 1961
    Also has Herbie Hancock and Jimmy Cobb.

11. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Interviewer : Which are your three favorite album covers?
    Pete Turner : I’d have to say Wave, Road Song and Jobim’s Stone Flower.

Pete Turner... Gotta give the man some credit. Amazing colors, amazing photos... Great album covers.

13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Finished out my workday with discs 2-5.

Berthold and dennis the menace like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have mentioned my Aunt in several posts before. She is the lady who saw Charlie Parker on 52nd Street. The one who sat alone in an empty theater as Nat King Cole rehearsed solo at the piano and singing, to get the feel of the piano and the hall. The one who was invited to a small private party for Louis Armstrong for his last birthday in 1970. She even sat in the front row for a Judy Garland concert at Carnegie Hall. She very likely walked by Dylan many times when he arrived in NYC as she lived a few buildings down that small street

She recently saw the excellent new documentary on Maria Callas and called me to talk about it. I asked her if she had seen Callas. But of course. She was at Callas' NYC debut in 1956.

So, today I teased her that she must have been at Woodstock. She said she couldn't get there.

Then she told me "seeing Louis Armstrong was the most meaningful experience. He wasn't well at the time. There was a woman next to me crying her eyes out."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Berthold

Starting today with

Louis Prima: The Brunswick & Vocalion Records 2

[​IMG]

16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP
    "I have the room above her"
    Paul Motian/ Joe Lovano/ Billy 'the kid' Frisell

ECM, 2005

This band is comprised of true musical soul mates, and imo this is their best record (I think I have them all but I could be wrong).

The evolution of Motian's playing and career is astounding to me. You really can't step in the same river twice with this guy, as he shape-shifts through the decades.

His latter day playing is virtually unrecognizable as the same person who made a name w Bill Evans. And likewise the composition style of this era is totally different from that of his original solo outings in the 70s.

This trio exemplifies the 21st century Motian sound: songs that seem familiar yet were never heard before Paul wrote them. A rhythmic world that bubbles and froths, not really finding its footing, yet the fits and starts always propel the music forward. And telepathic interplay where it seems there are no wasted notes, no showboating; a shedding of ego in service of the song.

Sounding just as timeless now as it did 14 yrs ago, "I have the room above her" is a classic of our current century and a must-hear if you ask me...
    ;)

[​IMG]

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Another great BN80 release . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/2019 Blue Note ‎– 7753113, UMe ‎– 7753113

18. Berthold

The Columbia Condon Mob Sessions 2

[​IMG]

19. V.S.O.P. Replica edition from 1986 of the MOD LP #123 - recorded September 1957, Hollywood
    Engineer: Dayton Howe

Featuring

Victor Fedman (vibes & xylophone) / Lou Levy (p) / Larry Bunker ( vibes & xylophone) / Max Bennett (b) / Mel Lewis (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Heavy vinyl reissue (180 gr)
    A replica edition 35199-28 from 1987 (japanese reissue) of Mod LP # 127 "Leonard Feather Presents Bop" , Recorded August 1957
    Engineers: Earl Brown & Gene Thompson
    Licensed from V.S.O.P Records through Far East Network Music Publishing

Featuring:

George Wallington (p) / Idrees Sulieman (tp - Side A) / Thad Jones (tp - Side B) / Phil Woods (as) / Curley Russel (b) / Denzil Best (dr - Side A) / Art Taylor (dr - Side B)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  21. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Just finishing up "Offramp" by Pat Metheny Group. It was pretty quiet this morning until, Nellie, our Australian shepherd, tore down the porch and into the yard to chase away an unsuspecting grey squirrel under one of the bird feeders. And the neighbors air conditioner unit just clicked off and I can hear the recycle truck around the corner, so time to roll out the container.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Berthold

Eddie Condon: Townhall Concerts vol. 11-1

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  23. dennis the menace

Vijay Iyer - Historicity (ACT Records ACT-9489-2)

My favorite Vijay Iyer albums are the ones using this trio of Stephan Crump on bass and the excellent Marcus Gilmore (Roy Haynes` grandson) on drums. Cool version of Dogon A.D. !

[​IMG]

24. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

listening to this right now

xybert and alarickc like this.
  25. Berthold

Bud Freeman: Tenor Sax & Orchestra

[​IMG]