Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Coming up at 4:45 Eastern, Lenny and Martha's 4-year-old Trish, vomits into her Goofy hat, exiting Magic Mountain...brought to you by Swiffer..."

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Pelvis Ressley, AKA, supermd and 3 others like this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I seriously cannot even describe how much this annoys me. Aside from Disney's unstoppable overtaking of the entertainment world, being tricked into paying for ESPN makes me bristle.

One of the major deciding factors of cutting the cord almost 10 years ago was the endless addition of more ESPN channels on our system. "I'm not paying for endless crappy sports TV that I never watch" I said. Now it looks like I'll be paying for endless crappy sports TV again.

We might just get Disney+ and cancel HuLu out of spite. There isn't much we watch there anyway I guess. And their platform absolutely sucks in TiVo.

Stupid Disney.

dan c

4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The funny thing is that I really like sports!..but I rarely find anything worth watching on ESPN. For example, I would rather watch any MLB Network broadcast of a game with its local announcers, than the same two teams with ESPN announcers.

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great news to me. I was already anticipating canceling one of my other services to budget towards Disney.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I think based on that announcement it’s just standard Hulu with ads and Disney+ / ESPN for that price. Which makes it considerably less attractive IMO as Hulu is unbearable with their frequent ads.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are five things I don't want to see as programming: 1) religious shows (of all faiths); 2) home shopping networks; 3) foreign-language channels; 4) sports channels; 5) reality TV. Kill all those, and I think what's left is maybe 50 decent channels. I don't mind news, movies, drama, comedy, music, broadcast TV, cable TV, history, nature, science, any of that stuff. Documentaries per se are great, but I ain't gonna watch housewives screaming at each other, people competing to go out on "dates," and all that crap.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Is it going to be available on apple tv, blu-ray players or tv?
    I do not want to stream from my phone or tablet via chromecast if I don't have to.

Also, looks like we don't get in Europe until 2020.
    That is pretty bad. People are going to download the Star Wars series like crazy.
    I do not understand that choice at all.

I hope that I can acess it via VPN and other trixs if necessary

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They need to roll it out carefully and Country by country. Different rules and different rights holders on certain things I would think.

But yes, that Star Wars series is going to attract a lot of eyes and subscribers early on. If it’s good it’s going to hook a lot of people who might not have cared about a Disney anything.

Then the G rated Fox content, a ton of stuff there. They won’t run out of fresh content to add for many years. Looks like the timing is dead on.

10. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Does "ESPN Plus" include any (all) of the regular ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN-U, ESPN-News, etc.)? The article doesn't say. As a college basketball fan and parent of a three-year-old, this would definitely be the push I need to cut the cord. We already have Prime and MLB.tv and are kicking the tires on Netflix, so adding Disney/ESPN/Hulu would give us everything we could possibly want.

11. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Costas/O'Neil/Cone are pretty good. Vasgurgitate/A-Roid/Lessica are haaaaaarible, to quote Vidiot.

12. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

I don't think espn plus includes live sports

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Cant say it will appeal to me.

Star Wars is tired, done and painted into a corner.

Marvel...well I see the good ones at the cinema and the rest...not too worried. DVD from the library maybe.

As for the classic Disney stuff...nope. Never enjoyed it even as a kid in the 70's.

I see burn out before long.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Best post on this thread!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

See, we can agree on things. Now go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

16. audiomixer

Hardly everything. Sorry.

17. audiomixer

I absolutely refuse! lol
    (Although it was shown in 35mm here in Portland with Tarantino attending.)

Deesky likes this.
  18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

O’Neill and Cone are my local guys (Yanks) - they’re on ESPN too?? I did not know that.

19. Dillydipper

Without these channels, programming my DVR remote would be a breeze.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that is very true. There is a feature with the DirecTV receiver where you can "trap out" the unwanted channels with a "Favorites" list, but every time they adjust their channel line-up, you have to do it all over with. And that is a royal pain in the ass.

Disney+ will definitely be on our list of channels to get -- they don't fall into any of the unwanted categories I cited above. Pure entertainment, pure news, pure movies... any of that stuff is fine, even if it's not necessarily a category I don't personally like, like right-wing news or what's left of the E Channel.

kouzie and audiomixer like this.
  21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It was pointed out on youtube that a lot people don't pay for this streaming service for a couples things then another one for few things.

Don't! cross the streams why egon? it will.. be.. very.. bad ..good tip egon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
  22. Dillydipper

"Pure entertainment, pure news"....that reminds me - did Disney ever sign any kind of exclusivity with Pizza Rat? Not that it's all that compelling a property, but hey, ABC did develop a sitcom property for the Geico caveman, so it's not all that far-fetched...

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The logo for the channel is hilarious...

[​IMG]

mj_patrick likes this.
  24. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

For that price... I'm in. I'm interested in a lot of things, but it would be cool if Disney put up their legacy animation works...

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can tell you a huge percentage of all their animated shorts were remastered, some in 2K, some in both 2K and 4K. In some cases, it was from the original Technicolor 3-strip nitrate originals, and in other cases it was from safety protection internegs, and in other cases it was from interpositives, and in some cases it was a combination of things. I was on the mastering team for about 20 of them -- I know for a fact Mickey's Trailer was one of them. That's a great short, a real classic.

I don't know if 100% of their shorts were remastered, but I'm hoping they were. I was working on them from about 2009-2011, and a lot of time has gone down since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.