Spin clean air dry

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

so I tried air drying he records after washing them in the spin clean cz the cloths that came with it are leaving lint. But I think I can see water spots when i hold the records under the light. Maybe it’s my imagination or something. Do you guys recommend this method? If not what are my alternatives?

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I wipe with a lint free cloth in direction of grooves till record is as new.
    Then i apply Winyl.
    Leave set and peel off.
    ( use only masking tape to remove)
    Record is not only silent but dynamoc range better

Ripblade likes this.
  3. Positively Vinyl

Can you link me your lint-free cloth?

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Someone gave it to me.
    However, most tv shops sell them for cleaning flat screen televisions.
    Last record cleaner is quite good at
    Finishing off cleaning process, if it still exists.
    Good luck.

5. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I just air dry. I’ve cleaned around 100 records and have not noticed any clouding. Make sure you are using distilled water.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I wouldn’t completely air dry them, as I expect there could be water spots as you describe. I’m sure you’re not imagining them, it makes sense, even using distilled water to mix the solution. You don’t want the cleaning solution to dry into the grooves, either.

If you can’t employ a vacuum-based drying method, I would find some of the lint-free, scratch-free cloths sold for eyeglass cleaning (the larger-sized ones are probably easier to use for this purpose) and use those.

Leonthepro and bever70 like this.
  7. When I first got two Knosti Antistat baths, I rinsed with distilled water, and left the discs to air dry. I nearly always had a spot or two where a drop of distilled water had concentrated, then evaporated, leaving a small deposit behind. I only did this a handful of times and gave up. I reverted to putting the clamped disc in between the two baths, and drying the disc by rotating it slowly against brand new plush microfiber cloths. This gave a much better result.

8. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

As was said, make sure you use distilled water. Spots may come from using the solution too long and dirty water droplets.

For lint free cloth: I use a clean towel that we use for drying dishes. Dry in the direction of the grooves then set out for final air drying. Never had an issue after about 800 LPs.

9. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Yes! The secondary rinse in distilled water is mandatory. More important than which cloth you use to dry.
    I get silent records after the two-bath method, and I use a variety of drying cloths....whatever's clean and handy.

10. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I use distilled water, gently wipe with microfiber cloth after cleaning with spin clean and then place in dish drying bins to fully dry.

marcb, Dane Argentini and benny like this.
  11. Positively Vinyl

Thanks all. So I do use distilled water.... do you think these cloths will work? will these leave scratches? I would really appreciate it if someone can provide me some links for great microfiber cloths that you use for drying your records.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep, those are what you want, IMO. Shouldn’t leave lint or scratches, and the 8” size is better for the task at hand than the 6” people usually carry around for glasses. If you could find bigger ones, might be even better, but I’m not seeing any when I search.

Positively Vinyl likes this.
  13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

14. Positively Vinyl

15. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I use tap water and let them drip dry. No spots.

16. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

no, not at all. I give them a wipe on each side and then let the rest air dry. I usually get at least 5 or 6 albums with one towel before I switch out.
    Good towels to wax cars with too ( which is what I originally used them for).

17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I really like my Spin Clean. I bought extra drying cloths so when they get too damp, I have dry ones. After gently wiping them down (circular motion, of course) I set the records sideways in a portable dish drying rack (no grooves touch the rack) placed in front of a fan on "low". That way I know the LP's are very dry. When done cleaning several records, I hand wash the cloths in Woolite, rinse them well, and hang dry them. Id using a clothes dryer, never use dryer sheets. The contain wax. Wax on "wax" (or what I like to call "vinyl", haha) is not a good thing!

There are higher grade record cleaners and I know purists will dis Spin Clean, but for my tax bracket, I have found nothing better. Very happy with that product.

dman23 and Bill Why Man like this.
  18. Jujigatame

Jujigatame Forum Resident

I built a vacuum dryer I nicknamed the spin dry. I use it after the spin clean and it honestly works every bit as well as any RCM I've ever seen. So far, every dollar bin find I've bought has become clean like new with the combo of the spin clean, spin dry, and gruv glide. Ican't seem to post a photo of it though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  19. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

you got things so clean you sucked the pictures - right off the page - all that is left is an "IMG" where they once were - now THAT'S clean
    Michael

20. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i use distilled water. after running a record through the Spin Clean, I use one of the supplied cloths (I've never had any problem with them whatsoever), to wipe both sides. Then I place the record on a clean, lint-free beach towel. I'll clean three records, then take the damp Spin Clean cloth and wipe the upside of each record and flip them over on the towel. Basically, I use a combination of air drying and the absorption of the big beach towel to get 'em dry. I'll gently wipe them with a dry Spin Dry cloth and put them in a new DiscKeeper sleeve.

21. Jujigatame

Any tips on how to post photos? I'm new here.

22. Jujigatame

TEsting Postimage.org

OK, let me try this again:

Photos of my record vac I call "Spin Dry" (since I used Spin Clean rollers and use it the same way right after Spin Cleaning)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, that's much better than Photobucket!

23. Michael Chavez

Very nice
    Michael

Jujigatame likes this.
  24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I always use Vinyl Vac with home brew solution after spin clean. No lint that way

25. Michael Chavez

you're defeating the purpose of your nice machine if you have to go back and hand wipe
    I prefer not to wipe records with anything - people who wear eye glasses with plastic lenses know why I say this

regardless, a few drops of Kodak Photo-Flo and you will have no more water spots - as in none

what is the source for the brushes/lips on your vacuum tubes?
    again, nice job!
    Michael

Mike from NYC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.