Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Too expensive? That’s rich!

2. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Amazom lost mine to BullMoose.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That was a fun listen! Let’s hope that an early version of Old Brown Shoe audio or perhaps even a video is included in Peter Jackson project or LIB50.

4. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

I will buy the 3 LP set, but I am pissed there is no record/book version. Especially as the content is identical this time. Hell, they could have offered a CD/BD/BOOK as well as a LP/BD/BOOK, but of course that also means they would lose sales from the people buying 3 LP plus the deluxe box. So they are not doind it. Bastards.

I am also pissed at no AAA of the original album! The new mix is fine for those that want it, but I am sure many peoole are still waiting for a AAA Abbey Road and Let It Be. As should have happened when they made the AAA mono records.

5. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing this up...maybe on the LIB deluxe then!

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

What's wrong with black and white photos?

7. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

(Some few pages back somebody posted a beautiful version of McCartney singing "You Never Give Me Your Money etc." - just the vocal, no backing.
    Is this on the new de-luxe release?)

I found out since that this is not on the new release. It comes from the Beatles Rock Band.
    It's hard to believe they wouldn't include something like that instead of orchestral backing tracks.

However, the whole vocals only medley is on Youtube:

alexpop likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But a one CD, two CD and 3 CD version all with the same content? Same goes for LPs. It is barmy!

MikeVielhaber and jedilips00 like this.
  9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

But if you never played it how would you know if it’s noisy or not? I know the reputation of picture discs but I’m not aware of any technical reason for them to necessarily be inferior in SQ to their black vinyl counterparts.

EDIT: I might have found the answer to my question in another forum post...
    Picture discs are acknowledges [sic] as having poor sound quality due to the way they are manufactured, ie picture image sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I agree with you. The book was way too big. A lot is written about each song, which is good, but I would be fine losing 3-4 of the essays in there. It could have been thinner, lighter, more focused, and equally as beloved. Some wonderful pictures, though.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  11. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

You should've ended that message with '...and I'm not even that keen on Abbey Road!'
    ;)

Anyways, Kudos! Super Deluxe CD set for me but I admire your thoroughness! Done similiar things myself in the past...

Wiserforthetime, CraigBic and fogalu like this.
  12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Nothing wrong if they only exist in black and white, but in the WA book they included some colour photos in b/w.

13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Please just stop - you are acting like it’s 2019 and all this technology is available....oh wait. Nevernind

FJFP likes this.
  14. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

“The studio banter brings the sessions to life — even at this late stage, the lads can’t resist trying to crack each other up. When it’s time for a coffee break, one of Paul’s ballads turns into “You never give me your coffee.” John plays around with “Polythene Pam,” sneering, “His sister Bernice works in the furnace.” “I like trying to find as much speech as possible — it humanizes it,” Martin says. “You hear John Lennon talk, then he suddenly starts singing, and you think: It’s that ****ing simple? That’s all I have to do? He just starts singing and it makes the sound of John Lennon? There’s no process there? It’s the same microphone? There’s no switch being turned? I think that changes it. You listen to “I Want You (She’s So Heavy), when they stop and start talking. Wait — these people are making that noise?””

To me, this is what makes the sessions material so compelling. It reminds me that these songs — which are now so ingrained in our culture — didn’t exist until, on a given moment on a given day in whatever mood they were in at the time and however they were feeling towards each other, one, two, three or all four of these talented individuals stepped up to a microphone and sang/played these songs while some magnetic tape was rolling.

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ah I see

16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That is why so many people would be interested in an open vault pay for download situation.

There is so much material (including the chatter) that the people at Apple don’t think are important. But they are important to many people and they would pay to play (and download).

It’s like holding back an important artist’s sketch-work because it’s not as good as the original.

17. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

I'm sure eventually the vaults will be completely open for historical purposes. At the moment enough interesting stuff remains in the vault for future releases. I don't believe this current anniversary program of releases will be the last.

Isaac Azimuth and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yellow Submarine Songtrack

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The remixes will probably sound great and the outtakes fun but for me the banter between the Beatles in studio is priceless and alone is worth the cost of the deluxe sets

Isaac Azimuth, aina, Bern and 2 others like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I see it’s finally been announced..

You can imagine the head honchos saying, "We’d better start putting something together..Have you seen the size of that thread on SHF?!”

It looks great, BTW.:)

When In Rome and MikeInFla like this.
  21. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

The remix's to me are good but to me aswell the outtakes and chatter are worth the full price of these boxsets. Even in the parts of the Let It Be sessions when they are all sitting around just talking its really interesting and sometimes they come out with amazing comedy bits on the fly like when John does a mock interview with Paul randomly bringing up things like X films and the maharishi.

Isaac Azimuth, aina and AFOS like this.
  22. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

23. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

You know for me, the allure of the session tapes is not the evolution of the song, but to hear something new or different whether good or not so good from Lennon. We lost him so young that he never could sing/play/talk again. But hearing him again in different recordings almost makes him alive to me.
    That is one of the reasons that I am disappointed by the exclusion of an earlier run through of Something, where you can hear Lennon’s piano. The released version only has a snippet of John playing. I have the long version of Something and am glad for it, but another version would have been great. And not including Who Slapped John or Games People Play, to me, is tragic.

24. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Isaac Azimuth and ItsNotIt's like this.
  25. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

That is a bummer indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.