Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

The only thing I would change is put You Know my Name on a session disc, keep the Rooftop by itself, otherwise, short of giving us everything which they won’t, can’t see them doing too much better. Just let the session discs be a good 50-70 mins each!

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I’ll be shocked if it is loaded with several discs of Twickenham and Apple recordings — I suspect they will cherrypick and condense that content to two discs at the most, along with the Glyn Johns mix, and finally a remake of the movie.

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That was always my feeling. Nobody ever complained that "Strawberry Fields Forever" was a Frankensteined creation.

RangerXT, Buddybud, MitchLT and 3 others like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That one was a "Martinized" creation .. .;)

Buddybud, MitchLT and Darrin L. like this.
  5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

You're listening to the wrong stuff.

J Alesait likes this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

So the remixes are simply second generation Martinizations. :righton:

7. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Fortunately and perhaps, unfortunately, bootlegs have given us some incredible performances that are quite essential to fans. I know that not everyone supports them. I like having them as a choice to hear music that otherwise would be hidden away-- not always with reason.

8. Tony LeMesmer

Tony LeMesmer Forum Resident

Absolutely is. This version beats George's album version, which is well over blown imho.

It's all about the chorus vocals from the three of them. Beautiful.

Someone has done a composite from Twickenham of the three of them taking it in turns to sing the lead lines, which is also great.

9. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Sure are a lot of people willing to lay down $$ for like the same take of One After 909 repeated over four discs!

10. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I hope I am proven wrong, but given the greedy nature of such projects, I have my doubts about them including material not owned by the Beatles, like Save The Next Dance For Me (which became Don't Let Me Down) and even Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone (which became Dig It) since they would likely need to dish out royalties to others.

A lot of it sounds like a drunken campfire singalong anyway.

11. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

:righton:

12. J Alesait

I'm not sure they will include Glyn Johns' mixes, as they wer rejected a couple of times by the Beatles themselves, but who knows?

13. J Alesait

Right. So were Roll Over Beethoven, Thank You Girl, Get Back (album version) and others.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  14. J Alesait

Yes, but so would be the case now...:whistle:

15. J Alesait

But there are gems yet unreleased from those rehearsals and sessions, believe me. Will they dig through all the tapes for those gems, that's another question...

16. J Alesait

No need for many rehearsal takes of One after 909. But they could easily make an "evolution" mix (a la Imagine Ultimate Collection), showing how the song evolved from first attempt to live rooftop performance.

17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I agree. Love the full-band versions of Across The Universe. Also Bathroom Window with John's harmony (and interjections!) and the "Boy's Whistling Choir" versions of Maxwells Silver Hammer. I wish they'd compile an "album" from just the Twickenham sessions, even if it's just a short one. I think there's easily a dozen or so songs that can be put together, edited, frankensteined or whatever.

18. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Meaning, it's the same take found on Let It Be, Get Back and the Rooftop.

19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They probably wont include this famous version.

gogators1 and J Alesait like this.
  20. J Alesait

They are the only source for the Twickenham stuff, but not for the Apple sessions, parts of which were recorded on 8 tracks.
    Listen to the following stuff, which was performed at Apple, not Twickenham. I just edited the best parts of an impromptu acoustic medley done when they were recording Two Of Us (I think), and then tagged their version of The Walk at the end for good measure. Part of these performances ARE recorded on multitrack, so they could sound even better and in stereo.

Aside: at the 1:35 mark you can hear John's inspiration for Crippled Inside!

21. J Alesait

They rehearsed this song many times prior to the rooftop version. The same applies for the rest of the rooftop songs.

22. J Alesait

Exactly. Agreed 100%.

Culpa likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Exactly.

Darrin L. likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

No way.

Unless they want to put out a politically incorrect disc containing No Pakistanis, Commonwealth, and White Power, it ain't happening.

MrSka57, MitchLT, The Beave and 4 others like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I still believe they'll go the route like the Imagine Ultimate campaign.
    Having a box set only focusing on audio, a DVD/Blu-ray release with both film versions, and an individual book with a bunch of photos and dialogue transcriptions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.